Pay your tips before hand why the extra envelopes?

DH and few friends traveled last year on the Mariner, we had our tips taken out of our cc card in our state rooms they put the envelopes I thought we already gave them that, why give us more to shell out more?

I thought that over the cruise that we already had given the waiters and service people more tips. We come on board with an extra 100.00 to give away for tips on drinks and good services, why do we have to have extra enevelopes? If these people know that you already paid for the tips they give you better service, but what happens if you have a dud who does not give you better service or he is not willing to help you? Then who do you complain to? And he is already getting the money and he is like stating to you, You have paid so I do not have to work for you. then who do you call? Cruise Busters?

And No people who make fun of me for asking this question. No one has answered my last posts on this.

thanks

Red

For a person who has done as much cruising as you claim to have done, you sure do have some naive questions.

If your cruise line has already billed you for tips, or automatically charged your account for tips, then you're not expected to give anyone anything more, unless you want to. If there were envelopes in your cabin, they were there as an ordinary part of cabin set-up, in case you were passengers that didn't prepay tipping and wanted to use them. Or simply there as envelopes to be used for other purposes.

If someone doesn't do his job (in your lingo, "..dud who does not give you better service or he is not willing to help you" then you complain to his supervisor. If it's the room steward, then the Housekeeping manager. If it's the bartender, then the head of the bar department. You go to the front desk in the atrium and ask who should receive your complaint,

and you can use one of those "extra envelopes" to put your complaint in writing, if you wish.

Your extra $100 could be used if someone did go out of their way to help you, or give you better service if you want to, but you're not obligated to.

It does not matter how much you have already given, they want to give you the opportunity to give extra.

BTW, Princess, which also has the autotip, does not put envelopes in the cabin. If you want one they are available at the Purser's Desk.

YOu only give extra tips to anyone you think went above and beyond and even then its your decision. The envelopes don't have to be used. I wouldn't unless I thought I needed to reward someone particularly.

I've only auto-tipped on RCI, but they give you vouchers to put into the envelopes. If you want to tip extra you can, but it's completely up to you.

It's like when you sign a slip for beverages, there is a line for additional gratuity. It doesn't mean you have to leave more, it's merely a convenience for the customer. If you don't want to leave any more than 15%, just draw a line through that space and write in the total, then sign the slip.

I don't always use the tip envelopes they give out all the time. I prefer to take note cards and write a note of thanks to our servers and attendants.

For a person who has done as much cruising as you claim to have done, you sure do have some naive questions.

If your cruise line has already billed you for tips, or automatically charged your account for tips, then you're not expected to give anyone anything more, unless you want to. If there were envelopes in your cabin, they were there as an ordinary part of cabin set-up, in case you were passengers that didn't prepay tipping and wanted to use them. Or simply there as envelopes to be used for other purposes.

If someone doesn't do his job (in your lingo, "..dud who does not give you better service or he is not willing to help you" then you complain to his supervisor. If it's the room steward, then the Housekeeping manager. If it's the bartender, then the head of the bar department. You go to the front desk in the atrium and ask who should receive your complaint,

and you can use one of those "extra envelopes" to put your complaint in writing, if you wish.

Your extra $100 could be used if someone did go out of their way to help you, or give you better service if you want to, but you're not obligated to.

Thank you..I read and sometimes shake my head..your first line was perfect!

I think the envelopes serve 2 purposes...one to actually hand something tangible to those who will recieve the grats and also to give you a chance to add a little more to what you have already given

..... and the cruise-lines do not want other customers to think that not tipping is an option too :)

No wonder DH went away with the friends :)

My sister and her husband and I and my DH and DD and DGD went to the Mariner of the seas we had a suite and when we all gotten back after dinner we found the envelopes, that is why she questioned it. It had nothing to do with her husband going alone with some friends.

Why do you all assume that she done somthing bad?

My sister and her husband and I and my DH and DD and DGD went to the Mariner of the seas we had a suite and when we all gotten back after dinner we found the envelopes, that is why she questioned it. It had nothing to do with her husband going alone with some friends.

Why do you all assume that she done somthing bad?

They're just ENVELOPES. They're made of PAPER. You don't want to use them, throw them in the trash!! She didn't do anything "bad"...she just sometimes asks extremely naive questions.

You must have read my mind, that is EXACTLY what my first thought was when reading this question (and reading a few of the other strange questions asked by the OP).:rolleyes:

Archived