Live from the Golden May 16 Alaska

vickie_bernie

We are boarding the Golden on Saturday May 16th for a week to Alaska.

Many of you have followed my previous Live threads, but this is my first Alaska cruise.

We live in Vancouver BC so we are driving down to Seattle tomorrow and staying over night at the Best Western Executel that is offering a deal of $139 a night that includes parking. We have redeemed airmiles for gift cards to redeem for the total costs.

This trip was chosen because of the great deal and the proximity to the pier. We are fair weather cruisers and since we get lots of rain and see lots of bears/whales/eagles etc in Vancouver we never thought of travelling to Alaska. But now that we are booked and we have such a great roll call, and I have done some research on the ports I am very excited about the trip.

We have booked a shuttle from the hotel to the pier for $12 per person.

We are in an oceanview obstructed view cabin E607.

If you have any questions of things you want me to find out I will try my best to accommodate.

I will say hi to everyone I meet on board but I unfortunately can not seek out that special person to say hi to if requested. I've done that before and I only get very strange looks. The must of thought I was a stalker. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to following along with you -- especially since I'm a warm weather cruiser, too -- just can't imagine going on a cruise to look at ice (unless it's in a gin & tonic!), so will be eager to hear your take on cruising to Alaska. I'm also eager to hear about the new enhancements to the Golden. Thanks for taking us with you!

If you have any questions of things you want me to find out I will try my best to accommodate.

Thank you so much for the offer! If you get a moment, would you take a few photos of the new Window Suites on Deck 6?

Thanks.

B

I'm looking forward to following along with you -- especially since I'm a warm weather cruiser, too -- just can't imagine going on a cruise to look at ice (unless it's in a gin & tonic!), so will be eager to hear your take on cruising to Alaska. I'm also eager to hear about the new enhancements to the Golden. Thanks for taking us with you!

We originally had this week off in vacation and thought about visiting our home back east in Nova Scotia but the air fare was crazy and it was the same price to cruise... so weighing it out -- visit family or cruise, family, cruise, needless to say we choose cruising.

We don't have any big plans for the ports, plus we are trying to keep the costs down so no pricy excursions either.

We love to sail and this will be our 14th Princess cruise, our fourth in 2009 alone. We sail for the experience and the wonderful people on board, both the crew and the passengers.

I will also be blogging but only after I get back. Check out my blog in the link in my signature of my previous cruises.

Thank you so much for the offer! If you get a moment, would you take a few photos of the new Window Suites on Deck 6?

Thanks.

B

I am curious to see them too - I will try and get up to see them first thing. I am not sure if they are occupied or not on this sailing.

Are you booked in one B?

My kingdom (OK, my eternal gratitude?) for a copy / picture of the Vines wine list.....

We're seriously considering a late-season Golden sailing on top of our upcoming B2B. Great ship from Seattle, for sure.

Hi Vickie

When I read the title I thought "Wait, isn't it still the 14th?"

Anyways, it'll be fun to follow along with you. We also have never even thought twice about Alaska, but then we've got huge airfares to get to your side of the world.

Say hi to Bernie and have a great time! (I know you will because you make all of your trips great)

My kingdom (OK, my eternal gratitude?) for a copy / picture of the Vines wine list.....

We're seriously considering a late-season Golden sailing on top of our upcoming B2B. Great ship from Seattle, for sure.

I can do this... but the pictures will only get posted after I get back or I can send them to you via email

Hi Vickie

When I read the title I thought "Wait, isn't it still the 14th?"

Anyways, it'll be fun to follow along with you. We also have never even thought twice about Alaska, but then we've got huge airfares to get to your side of the world.

Say hi to Bernie and have a great time! (I know you will because you make all of your trips great)

actually Karen airfare to Seattle is quite reasonable. We flew round trip to Fort Lauderdale in Jan from seattle for $250 each. so don't let that hold you back.

Wanted to start the thread so that I could give people the chance to post requests, and it looks like it is working. With only seven days I want to be able to answer all questions or at least try.

Hope we get to sail together again... haven't given up on the Ruby in Jan.

Vickie,

I know that Richard Joseph is the current CD. But if you get a chance can you find out who will be the CD in mid August. Thanks! Wishing you all a wonderful vacation. :)

Vickie,

I know that Richard Joseph is the current CD. But if you get a chance can you find out who will be the CD in mid August. Thanks! Wishing you all a wonderful vacation. :)

will ask Richard when we see him at our Meet and Greet

I am curious to see them too - I will try and get up to see them first thing. I am not sure if they are occupied or not on this sailing.

Are you booked in one B?

Yes, we are booked in one on the Sept. 20th sailing.

I heard they weren't complete yet, but they may be by now.

Thanks again.

B

We're right behind you on the 23'rd sailing - so will be reading every word, tid bit etc. Please feel free to be as detailed as you want:) Weather conditions throughout the ports and day, wild life sightings, dinner menu's....well ANYTHING and EVERYTHING:):)

Thanks and have a GREAT CRUISE!

Therese

Hope you enjoy the newly redone ship!! We will be on our "wedding-moon" on this one this summer so certainly looking forward to any photos of the new areas...especially the chapel and surrounding areas, and your review when you return.

Vickie,

Yes Rich is leaving the Golden on June 20th and will be on the Star in late August. :)

He did not say who will replace him, but maybe he will know when Vickie is onboard.

Can't wait Vickie, we are 2 weeks behind you. ;)

Keep that Marilyn in line. :D

Hey, you take the fun out of it.:rolleyes: Shoot I am going to have a good time.:D

Vickie see you on board. Also Jerry and rose.

Marilyn

Hi Vickie, I finally found you. You are going to be really busy on this ship. See you and Bernie on the shuttle tomorrow. Save some time for wine. Jerry and Rose

Hi Guys! :)

Only Vickie could have a "live from thread" up to two pages before she even sets sail. ;) :D

Jerry, Rose, Karin, John, Vickie and Bernie have a fabulous cruise. I'll be following along. Bruce and I are 8 days away from our CB cruise and are in full pre-cruise mode.

Safe travels my friends.

Archived