Can we fit this all in??

natesfirewife

Can we do this all in one day or is it too much? I was thinking about starting out at Cafe Du Monde for breakfast and then doing the French Quarter tour. Then hitting Santa vs the Snowman at the Imax around 11am. Next it's off to the Garden District via street car and then back to the Riverwalk for shopping and dinner. Although I wanted to have lunch at the Gumbo Shop. Any thoughts or does it sound ok?? We leave next week. :)

Misty

I don't know either. I guess I would leave out the Imax in favor of a fuller New Orleans experience. There's so much to see (and eat) in the French Quarter, I would spend most of my time there. The Garden District is beautiful, but you don't see much of it from the street car. You really have to get off and walk. I have never actually been to the Riverwalk, but it just looked like a fancy mall from the outside. I spent almost five full days in New Orleans this spring (granted, much of it at a conference) but I don't feel like I missed a thing by spending most of it in the Quarter.

Also, if you want to shop, there's plenty of that right next to Cafe du Monde in the French Market. And just a tip about Cafe du Monde, if you spot an open table, grab it, powdered sugar and all. Wait patiently and a waitress will come by to clean it up and take your order. It's not like a typical restaurant where you are greeted at the door, whisked to a clean table, and give your order. I saw a few people leave in a huff because Cafe du Monde did not meet their predispositions. But they missed out on incredible beigne and cafe au lait, not to mention some great people-watching.

We have a group of 18 people going next week. There are 9 kids and that would leave us with 9 adults. I don't mind missing the IMAX and I checked into the Riverfront more, I can shop at home. Has anyone been to the Fire Museum that they have in the Garden District? I found that looking at the AAA map I picked up. Would 10 year olds like the kids museum or are they too old for that? Thanks for all the last minute help, I spent so much time researching the ports we were going to and forgot to do where we were leaving from! LOL. Oh and has anyone been to Bubba Gumps?

Misty

Great idea to skip IMAX...so much more local stuff to do. Bubba Gumps is not where you will find typical cajun food...actually, not even good food... another place to skip.

I like Riverwalk ok, but if I had such a short time, I wouldn't spend it there. Better to go to Cafe du Monde for the beignets and cafe au lait, then stay in that area awhile for FUN shopping and looking. All the shops from CdM to the end of Decatur are great. The best 'souveniers' from N.O. are in that area, and you'll encounter musicians all along the way, as well. Be sure and go ALL THE WAY down past the shops in the French Market - and into the Old Farmer's Market - an experience.;)

WHERE are you staying, everything you have listed is far apart. Are you referring to the Park Service free walking tour?? (You won't make the 11am IMAX.) You need to be in line by 9am or earlier, for the free tags. I would skip the Imax and Riverwalk- these are commercial and don't have the charm of the French Quarter, and certainly not the place to eat. The St. Charles Streetcar takes over an hour round trip, the zoo is excellent, and you can also get a look at the Layfayette cemetery if of interest on Washington. I would also split the group up depending on interests. The Fire museum is small and probably not worth the detour unless of intense interest. Print out coupons on the Good Times Guide Site, Gumbo shop has a free drink. AGAIN- get your direction organized to make the best use of time. Have you been here before???

Ok, here is the update schedule:

Breakfast at Cafe Du Monde

NPS guided tour

lunch at the Gumbo Shop

Streetcar to the Garden District and Fire Museum (husband is a firefighter and that was the one thing he asked to do)

Streetcar back to our hotel (Marriot on Canal Street) to get ready for dinner

Dinner at ??

Angel Hair Lobby and then off to bed.

We have breakfast with the Penguins at the Aquarium the next morning before we board the ship so I think it will be good to get some sleep. What about the J.B. Margaritaville Cafe? Is it any good? I doubt the kids will eat anything spicy so we are looking for something that will please everybody.

Misty

If you are looking for "plain food" the Gumbo shop isn't going to make it either. :) I would also look at sandwiches at Johhny's - just excellent - on St. Louis. Margaritaville is nothing special and at the other end of the quarter near the French Market, similar to Hard Rock Cafe. There are plenty better local resturants in New Orleans. If you haven't been there- "breakfast at Cafe Du monde", is coffee and a beignet. :) You can do this between getting your tour tags and the tour, if strapped for time, and don't mind eating on the go, otherwise I would leave the hotel by 7:45am.

Although I think Gumbo Shop has something for everybody, if you'd prefer only po-boys or jambalaya or gumbo for lunch - you might want to look into Pontalba Cafe...catty-corner from the cathedral. Open ceiling-to-floor doors to do some 'people-watching' in the Square as you have lunch. The po-boys are excellent! Go to both websites and check out their menus, if you have questions.

Cafe du Monde's 'menu' is limited to coffee, milk, hot chocolate, and beignets - but there are three beignets to an order. And...unless you're hung up on just regular coffee, be sure and order 'cafe au lait'. Believe me, you'll each want an order of beignets!:)

I wouldn't go to Margaritaville. Very commercial, like TGIF, Hard Rock, etc. Not typical N'awlins!

If your daughter loves jazz, you should try to get into Preservation Hall. This is the best jazz in NO. Don't imagine a nightclub setting, though. It's more of a small room, bare lightbulb, sit-on-the-floor-in-awe type of place. When I was there last April, the line was always out the door, but maybe it will be less crowded some other time of year. It's located on the corner of Bourbon and St. Peter. Here's their website: http://www.preservationhall.com/main.html

Preservation Hall is a MUST do. But it is not located on the cornor of Bourbon. NO food or drink and $8pp charge- the best money spent in NO. It is a LONG walk from Julia St. doable without limitations, but a cab would be more convenient. You could take the Riverfront street car there- but probably not back depending on hours of operation? The other place for jazz is to just hang out in Jackson Square- most always something going on. The Mint has a good Jazz exhibit if really interested and the Jazz National Park location- offers free Friday walking tours. Also just an excellent venue for jazz- especially Ellis Marcellus- is Snug Harbor, if into late night the Spotted Cat across the street, if your daughter is not a young child? Jazz Vipers. Cafe Dumonde is open 24 hours/day on Decater, but closes in the pm in the Riverwalk- which is closer to your location.

A fun place to eat with the kids is Masperos (sp) across from the Jax brewerey on Decatur st. Great sandwiches and stuff. Cafe Giovanni has good Italian food and singing waiters too! It's a lot of fun and I know they have a website.

Dave

Archived