Possibly New To Princess

hac82

If this has been asked before, sorry. I have been overwhelmed trying to find information that will help me make my decision.

This Halloween, we will be on our 6th cruise, all with RCCL and next May we were to go again, but we are thinking of changing to the Caribbean Princess for its 9 night cruise from NYC. Since we have never been on any other ship except those from RCCL and at that only their Voyager class, I have been trying to find a comparison of that class to the Caribbean Princess from someone that has traveled on both.

So far, I have heard that the balcony cabins are smaller on the CB (BTW, what is CB - I would have thought CP). Is it true?

This also may seem to be a strange question, but one poster said that unless you know where the "secret" doors are to the adults only pool on the stern, you have to go through the buffet. If that is true, can anyone tell me where those "secret" doors are?

For just about everything else, I have picked up tid-bits that seem to indicate that there is a pretty equal side-by-side comparison.

If there is anyone that has traveled on the RCCL Voyager class and the Caribbean Princess that would be willing to share their insights, it would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping ot make my decision this weekend.

Hi hac, we are just down the road from you (relatively speaking!) on the Cape. We have sailed RCL and Celebrity and NCL but prefer Princess, although this is definitely an individual decision. However, I would encourage you to think about whether you would miss the WOW factor of the promenade and multi-tier MDR and active pursuits on the RCL ships--- some posters come back to these boards and complain loudly that those things weren't there on Princess, when a little research would have prepared them,. Princess and especially the CB (CP was already taken by Coral Princess) offer smaller, more intimate spaces and 3 quieter MDRS, anytime dining , Movies under the Stars, freshwater pools, terrific pasta dishes which can be ordered as an appetizer, and (in our opinion anyway) better food overall and fewer teenagers/young adults. Decor is a soft and relaxing blend of mostly blues and greens. Evenings offer more variety of entertainment on Princess (again, in our opinion.) We have never stayed in a balcony cabin so I can't help you there, we love the mini suites on Princess with the full seating area, 2 TVs, and full bath with tub and vanity-- to us, this is well worth the extra money. I do know that the Princess balcony cabins only have a semi-comfortable chair for sitting, no sofa at all. Anyway, we did the 9 day cruise out of NYC a year ago and absolutely loved it--- the itinerary was great with just the right mix of sea and port days, plus we could drive to the port and sail past the Statue of Liberty. Anyway, if you think you can get by without the WOW factor, give Princess a try and make up your own mind.

If you can cruise without the skating rink, rock climbing etc. I think you will like Princess. The anytime dining feature and the manner in which they schedule entertainment (at least 2 acts per evening), movies, live bands and the very consistent excellent service is what keeps us with Princess. Yes, those balcony cabins are smaller, but if you book one on Caribe deck, the balcony is very large. You could look for a minisuite also. That is a very nice cabin. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Donna

I do admit that the WOW factor is something that will be strange trying to get over, but I am willing to give it a shot.

First of all, the ice rink is nice, but when the show is the same for several cruises, well we did not even go the last time. As for the rock wall, the inline skate area, we never used them. The Royal Promenade is nice but I want value for my money and not just wow. If I can still get that value on the CB, then I am all for it. After all, a little change does not hurt anyone.

This is the second mention about the Caribe Deck balcony cabins that I have read. I am assuming that I can ask my TA to request the Caribe deck when I reserve. Is the cost for that deck any more than the other balcony cabins on other decks?

[quote=hac82;19557989...

This is the second mention about the Caribe Deck balcony cabins that I have read. I am assuming that I can ask my TA to request the Caribe deck when I reserve. Is the cost for that deck any more than the other balcony cabins on other decks?

Princess cabins have an alphabet grading system with different price ranges. Caribe balconies are higher in price, but be aware they are uncovered (open to the sky and people looking down from upper decks). Friends of ours had one and didn't like it at all.

There is no "secret" door to the aft pool on the Riviera deck (14). You can get to it using a door at the end of the passageway on that deck. You can also access it from the Lido deck (15) but have to pass through Cafe Caribe (usually not being used during the day) and take the outside staircase down one deck. You do not have to pass through Horizon Court if you come to deck 15 by the aft staircase or elevators.

Another major concern is the pools. Are there any pools on the ship that have walk in stairs or are they all ladder access?

The Lotus spa pool (adults only and freshwater) has stairs, and I cannot recall the arrangement on the Caribbean - sometimes the aft Terrace Pool (adults only, freshwater) has walk in stairs. More than likely it does.

Princess cabins have an alphabet grading system with different price ranges. Caribe balconies are higher in price, but be aware they are uncovered (open to the sky and people looking down from upper decks). Friends of ours had one and didn't like it at all.

There is no "secret" door to the aft pool on the Riviera deck (14). You can get to it using a door at the end of the passageway on that deck. You can also access it from the Lido deck (15) but have to pass through Cafe Caribe (usually not being used during the day) and take the outside staircase down one deck. You do not have to pass through Horizon Court if you come to deck 15 by the aft staircase or elevators.

I did notice that the ship had these "open" balconies. That may not be an overall concern. Just wondering if there are any balconies that are not open to the sky? Usually the higher you go the more it costs, or is it the larger the balcony, the more it costs?

The Caribe balcony's are not totally exposed. They are large, half open for sun and half covered. There are two chairs a table and two loungers. Great balconies and much coveted!! If you like Royal, then you will be pleasantly surprised with Princess:)

Another major concern is the pools. Are there any pools on the ship that have walk in stairs or are they all ladder access?

We did our first and only cruise on Sapphire Princess in February after doing several on RCC and 2 on Carnival. Other than the wow factor of RC, I really missed the much livelier atmosphere. In tone Princess is bit more sedated/boring. The evening entertainment was fantastic and the pools were absolutely stunning. We had the aft balcony, completely covered with an awesome view from the back of the ship.

In my signature I have an album with pics of the cabins, balconies and, dining rooms.

Hope this helps!

2021044740101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2353935170101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2274513140101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2589784450101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

To the OP...

I think its beautiful!!! :p

With so many Princess cruises, have you specifically been on the CB? I realize that it may be a small point but the pool access is very important to my wife as if it is only a straight up and down ladder at the adult only pool on the stern, then she cannot get out of the pool. One picture I see makes it look like it is a ladder but slanted more like stairs. Can you tell me if it is more like stairs or if it is straight up?

The Caribe balcony's are not totally exposed. They are large, half open for sun and half covered. There are two chairs a table and two loungers. Great balconies and much coveted!! If you like Royal, then you will be pleasantly surprised with Princess:)

Larger balcony and the cover (pic #2) doesn't extend all the way to the end.

2273884190101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2581121000101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

With so many Princess cruises, have you specifically been on the CB? I realize that it may be a small point but the pool access is very important to my wife as if it is only a straight up and down ladder at the adult only pool on the stern, then she cannot get out of the pool. One picture I see makes it look like it is a ladder but slanted more like stairs. Can you tell me if it is more like stairs or if it is straight up?

Yes we have sailed the CB. Most Princess pools have access by ladder.

Some aft pool and Lotus Spa pool's have stairs. Can't remember which on the CB.

In my earlier post I was talking about wow factor not pool access. :)

If I remember correctly(and I think I do, my wife confirms this). The Aft pool which is adults only has oversized large steps(if u will). Reminded my wife of bleachers in the sense you could sit on them as they are very wide and you could sit on them to the sides as well(and still be in the water) even as others were entering/exiting the pool. This will be a lovely retreat for your wife as we spent most of our sea days either there or watching MUTS.

Aside: I think you will love the ship - we did and we are back on her next month.:D

I haven't been on the CB, but I was on the Grand in January, and the aft (adult) pool looked just like the picture above, and it was a walk-in pool with the handrails and steps.

There are steps going into the adults only pool at the back of the ship. If you do decide to book the CB, I think that you will really like it. It is an absolutely beautiful ship and I'm going to be onboard her again tomorrow! :D

There are steps going into the adults only pool at the back of the ship. If you do decide to book the CB, I think that you will really like it. It is an absolutely beautiful ship and I'm going to be onboard her again tomorrow! :D

Have a wonderful time.

To OP, I think you will like Princess. We were Celebrity cruisers for a while and traditional diners. When we took our first Princess cruise the people on our roll call had much more experience than we had. They wrote of anytime dining and even skipping the "formal" experience for nights in the buffet. Our first cruise we took the formal wear but for the first formal night we did the Ultimate Balcony Dinner which was amazing. The second formal night we met our friends in the buffet and it was good as well. We just liked not having to hurry and get dressed for dinner. Anytime dining you can have dinner when ever you want - same menu and dress codes as traditional. We have only had to wait once for maybe 10 minutes. We are getting ready for our 3rd cruise and I don't think we will even take formal stuff. That is just us - we like relaxing, doing what we want when we want to and enjoying our friends.

And I think Princess ships are beautiful.

Just got off the phone with our Travel Agent. We were going to sail on the new Oasis of the Seas from Ft Lauerdale May '10, but we got on the CB birthdays in May 2010 from NYC and it is 2 days longer than the Oasis for only $12 more per person with no cost to fly to Florida. What a deal.

I would still like to know more about the Sanctuary and what the cost is for it.

We didn't use the sanctuary on the Emerald, but ran into some people who did. I believe the cost is $10 for half a day. They told us you had to go early am to reserve as it fills up quickly. It looked like a beautiful area, and even though she said it fills up, I rarely saw anyone there the few times I passed by!

As long as they do not change the itinerary to sail back into Boston. LOL:D. Would not want to sail into my home port just for a day trip and then sail out again.

Kinda like leaving California, heading to Mexico, then ended back in California for your cruise........Nay:eek:;).

Have Cruisin'

Except for the dining room and the buffet (and I assume room sevice w/ tips) what other food establishments on board are part of the included food offerings. I read about Sabatini's, Sterlings and the Balcony Dining as extra's but what other areas charge for food (or ice cream like Ben & Jerry's or Johnny Rockets on RCCL)

Archived