Free Soda?? Cost of Booze!!

Yeah back in 1997 when a Deck 2 INTERIOR cabin on Sovereign was $1,600, we got some free sodas at dinner. ;)

And no, I don't like soda, so it's not worth going back to the $1,600 price tag for a couple of cokes.

What's the problem with buying the soda card if you want soda? I don't want soda so there is no need for me to pay for it. :)

Was there ever a time when the cost of your cruise included soda, or has there always been a fee? Would you rather have the cost of soda and alcohol built into the cost of your cruise?

I'd rather have soda and alcohol charged separately just as now. Here is why. Let us say we ask them to include it. They are gonna charge everyone a higher cruise price based on average person's drink consumption. While I may drink more than the average person, I am not gonna be able to make up for my wife and kids who don't drink. Now if they offered an optional alcohol package, I would consider it.

We would definitely not want the added cost built into our cruise pricing. I am a Pepsi drinker when I do drink sodas.... unfortunately no cruise line carries Pepsi. For those of us that drink very little alcoholic beverages, it would not be cost effective for us.

When we do all-inclusive land vacations, this is a nice option to have drinks included - but only if the price is reasonable.

No for me. If I want a coke I'll buy one. I don't have more than one a day so the card is even too much money for me. If I had to pay $1600 for an interior I wouldn't have to worry about it because I wouldn't be there to begin with :( So thank God drinks are NOT included :)

Actually, the fountain soda costs corporations little, about 15 cents for a 32 oz. size. They charge for soda because it's something people are willing to pay for.

I agree 100%, but soda makes so much more when they can charge for it.

Responses kinda indicate a no win for RCI. Include it, have prices float back to (adjusted for inflation) the early 90's prices and that $1600 inside cabin would probably be cloer to $2,000-$2,200. So RCI does not do that and they make money on soda...Pick one guys! They either make lots of money on soda or maybe cabin prices go up.

Nobody said life was fair, but we all do make the decision how we each spend our own money.

Yeah back in 1997 when a Deck 2 INTERIOR cabin on Sovereign was $1,600, we got some free sodas at dinner. ;)

And no, I don't like soda, so it's not worth going back to the $1,600 price tag for a couple of cokes.

What's the problem with buying the soda card if you want soda? I don't want soda so there is no need for me to pay for it. :)

OK lets be a little realistic here. Your cabin was not $1600 because they threw in the free soda. Your cabin was $1600 because that is what they thought they could get for it and what you were willing to pay.

Economics have changed with larger boats and they can charge less. Think of it as the Costco & BJs of cruising. You are getting a better deal because of economics of scale and a lot more competition.

For $10 bucks they could supply you with all the free soda you could consume for a week but charging $35 or whatever for a soda card is a lot more profitable for them.

When my mother started cruising in about 1975, they paid $3000 for an interior cabin and their liquor, soda and a photo or two were included.

Today we pay about 25% of that (cost adjusted for inflation), but we have to pay for soft drinks, alcohol, photos, etc. Frankly, I would far rather pay less and choose what extras I want.

When my mother started cruising in about 1975, they paid $3000 for an interior cabin and their liquor, soda and a photo or two were included.

Today we pay about 25% of that (cost adjusted for inflation), but we have to pay for soft drinks, alcohol, photos, etc. Frankly, I would far rather pay less and choose what extras I want.

Same thing with flights. Up until the mid 80s or so, flying was very expensive but it was luxury compared to today. Now you pay for your ticket, your baggage, the privilege of talking to a human being, the crappy food, a headset to watch TV all the while paying even more in lost dignity as we strip at the gates while people examine us on monitors that can see thru our clothes.

Yet I will still take todays prices over those of the 80s.

Archived