Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge vs. Capilano Suspension Bridge

Rosieo

I know Lynn Canyon is free and Capilano is not. Is Lynn Canyon really nice and how would I get there if I am staying at the Westin Bayshore? Any opinions on either Suspension bridge?

http://www.dnv.org/ecology/see_do/see_do.html

The link above gives you details of Lynn Canyon. If you click on the Park maps, you will find information on how to arrive at the park using transit. From the Bayshore, you can walk along the waterfront past Canada Place to Waterfront Station to take the seabus across to North Vancouver.

Lynn Canyon is beautiful. The bridge isn't as long or as high as Capilano, nor is it as crowded.

I'll post a couple of pics shortly.

I know Lynn Canyon is free and Capilano is not. Is Lynn Canyon really nice and how would I get there if I am staying at the Westin Bayshore? Any opinions on either Suspension bridge?

Think of a public park versus a private one. Capilano is private. They get a lot of tourists and a lot of tour bus traffic. That said, it is beautiful and they've done a good job of adding the platforms for the ecowalk. I love the bridge and my friends are always impressed.

Lynn Canyon is a public park. In addition to just looking, you can take good shoes and do some hiking. I think the canyon is more impressive than Capilano. The park does get crowded, but I've never seen tour busses there. My mom grew up next to Lynn Canyon, and when we were kids, she showed us all the places she and her friends had prepared for sabotage in case the Japanese attacked. Even when I was a kid, there were rope swings into the water and kids would hang out there all day in the summer.

You can get there easily by bus. Here is their website, with both driving and public transit options.

http://www.district.north-van.bc.ca/ecology/park_map/choose_map.html

Viv

Thanks for the quick replies. How long of a bus ride is it to Lynn Park and how long should I expect to be there? I am sure we will do some hiking but not a long hike. And yes, please post some pictures, I'd love to see them!

Thank you for the link to your blog. I really enjoyed the pictures and the video. It certainly does look beautiful. How long by bus do you think it is? Also, sorry the Chanuks are out of the playoffs. The Red Wings are going to go all the way this year! (Hopefully!)

• 3 weeks later...
How long by bus do you think it is?

You will have to take the seabus to North Vancouver (Lonsdale Quay). From there, hop on bus #229 and ride about 25 minutes to Peters Rd @ Duval Rd. The bus leaves Lonsdale Quay on the :02 and :32. The exact time it will take you will depend on how long it takes you to get to Lonsdale Quay from your hotel and how long you have to wait until the next bus. Plan on an hour and be pleasantly surprised if you time everything perfectly :)

I believe you may also take bus 228 :confused:

Had I read this last week I would have suggested forgetting Capilano and going to Lynn Canyon. I hadn't been to Capilano for about 7 years and, at that time, you paid $28 to cross the bridge and that was pretty much it. However, this weekend a friend was in town and wanted to see Capilano so we all went there. I have to say, I was highly impressed with what they have done to the park - the treetop adventure is really nice and the forest boardwalk is extremely pleasant. Well worth the money, but take food as a burger will set you back $12!!!!!

We were very impressed with Capilano (rather disappointed with Grouse Mtn but I've been assured that is out of character for GM). My teen really liked the Treetop Adventure. There are a lot of good exhibits of nature, culture, and history. We skipped the expensive food at Cap too, and got to Lonsdale Quay where everything had closed (it was around 830pm). By the time we got to a downtown restaurant we were ready to drop in our tracks!! But it was a great time and we're glad we went.

FYI, about this time of year Entertainment Books go on deep discount. We bought one for Vancouver, they had a good Cap Park coupon. Since many of the coupons are more relevant to a resident, we gave the book to the concierge when we checked out of the hotel.

Archived