Dressing for Tours

Hi everyone! New to this forum as well as cruising. Taking my first cruise in June, and need some advice on how my DH and DS12 should dress when touring...especially when we're touring the Vatican or the many churches.

It's going to be HOT...do they have to wear pants? I've read that shorts are not really acceptable. Is this true? What about sneakers? Are they OK?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

The rule is that shoulders and knees must be covered for touring churches and mosques. The Vatican particularly is strict on this rule.

European men do not wear shorts in cities and towns, just at the beach, but simply use lightweight pants in the summer. That being said, many, many tourists wear shorts, so you can pre-plan all your church and mosque visits for days your spouse and son are willing to wear slacks or use the zip-off solution.

Europeans also wear sneakers/trainers only for sports, and not as daily wear. Again, that being said, loads of tourists, particularly American tourists, will be wearing sneakers.

IMO, wearing sneakers, while clearly marking you as an American tourist, does not "offend" in the same cultural sense as grown ups wearing shorts in the major cities of Europe.

I personally would not wear shorts for sightseeing in NYC, or my hometown of Cincinnati, as well as in Rome, although OK in Santorini, because I also believe that beach and gardening clothes are not appropriate city wear, but others feel differently, and there are many fascinating discussions on these boards on this issues.

Enjoy your first cruise. We took our first cruise last fall after many land trips in Europe, and it was a great way to visit many Mediterannean islands.

European men do not wear shorts in cities and towns, just at the beach, but simply use lightweight pants in the summer. That being said, many, many tourists wear shorts, so you can pre-plan all your church and mosque visits for days your spouse and son are willing to wear slacks or use the zip-off solution.

Europeans also wear sneakers/trainers only for sports, and not as daily wear. Again, that being said, loads of tourists, particularly American tourists, will be wearing sneakers.

We just got home yesterday and we did see Europeans wearing sneakers and shorts on vacation. You will look like a tourist no matter what you do, so dress comfortably and if planning on going to churches, please dress appropriately, no shoulders or knees showing. Zip off leg pants are great for this and many are also very lightweight so not uncomfortable even as pants. We tend to impulse stop at little churches along the way so we tend to wear lightweight pants or the ones with zip off legs most of the time in Europe.

Can I add on to this question???? We are planning to wear capris for all our ports that involve churches, museums, etc. -- but, is it acceptable to wear shorts in Villefranche/Nice, Santorini and Dubrovnik?? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Yes but MOST churches won't let you in. We did go into one in Santorini when my husband had on shorts. I wear capris so I can't into any building and not worry. Also no tank tops for churches.

On a tour two years ago, women were denied entrance to a church wearing a tank top (modest but no sleeves). Capped sleeve T-shirts were fine. If you want to wear a tank-top, bring a scarf to cover your shoulders. Many women did that and had no issues.

I wore a skirt that reached almost to my knees (brushed the top) and was fine. I believe you might find pants where the legs can be "unvelcroed" and thus turned into shorts. Otherwise, wear lightweight pants.

I never saw any issues with shoes -- sneakers, sandals, etc. I might avoid flip-flops out of respect but don't think they'd deny you entrance.

The real issue is whether you want to enter a Catholic church. If you do not, you are generally fine with shorts and sleeveless tops (there may be some exceptions but cruise lines should tell you). Even so, Europeans don't wear shorts nearly to the extent Americans do, so you may fit in better and be more comfortable with long pants, jeans, skirts, etc.

Can I add on to this question???? We are planning to wear capris for all our ports that involve churches, museums, etc. -- but, is it acceptable to wear shorts in Villefranche/Nice, Santorini and Dubrovnik?? Thanks for any advice you can offer!

For Villefranche/Nice I would wear capris if in town and shops; the other sites fine for shorts (longer length) but not in church.

Archived