Drop the "the"!!!

Danno

I am sailing Zenith in the fall...not THE Zenith!!

Amazing the little things that annoy me when I have to work a holiday icon_biggrin.gif.

the Dan

Century X1,Galaxy X2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith Oct/04

Century Feb/05

the Lois...You're right!!

I guess this proves my point.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

It's OK Danno. I get just as upset when people spell Millennium with only one 'l' or one 'n'. You just have to learn to let it go. Book another cruise. That always helps. icon_wink.gif

I've got 2 booked now!!!

Apparently they have a drug under development to get rid of the symtoms of cruise withdrawl...it makes you boring, lifeless, dull, cranky, uninspired. To get a better sense of it's effects just find someone who doesn't cruise...this is what we will become icon_eek.gif.

Dan

CenturyX1,GalaxyX2,HorizonX5,VolendamX1,

Zenith to Bermuda Oct/04

Century to E.Caribbean Feb/05

Apparently I get more upset about those little things than you. icon_wink.gif I currently have 3 booked! The only drug I want is the liquid kind they serve in the tall glasses on board ship!

Danno - "Your" wrong! icon_biggrin.gif Newt has been going around to all the Celebrity Ships and spray-painting the word, "The" in front of all the ship names!

icon_wink.gif

Cruise Cat

Unofficial Ambassador for the Community

Vision of the Seas - 8/24/03

Rhapsody of the Seas - 9/1/02

Inspiration - 9/16/01

Jubilee - 9/12/99

<MARQUEE>..........................SAIL ON LMAO!!!....ALWAYS TRUE NORTH!!!...LMAO FOREVER (LF)!!!!...................<MARQUEE>

pet peeve you ask....my name in lower case only icon_wink.gif

dan

centuryX1,galaxyX2,horizonX5,volendamX1,

zenith to bermuda Oct/04

century to e.caribbean Feb/05

Actually my biggest pet peeve...people who can well afford to do anything they want, whining about pricing and pinching pennies. The second is "seniors discounts".

"the" usage is an iffy complaint.

"I'm going to the mall" "I'm going on the bus" are correct, so how could "the Zenith be wrong?" Guess the only complaint I would have is when they include "the" as part of the ship's name by capitalizing it - The Zenith.

I have more of a problem with "That was the funnest trip." "That was so fun." - instead of "That was so much fun."

And of course, the infamous - borrow/lend - gone/went - misusage.

A lot of misusage/misspelling is time related - no one has the time to edit all their mistakes - nor really cares to.

(And, of course, my incorrect use of prepositions at the end of sentences must annoy people, but I just can't make myself structure the sentence the correct way. It sounds unnatural.)

This isn't a resume - so we can just let people's foibles go, can't we?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the hornsea potter:

I think that it depends on where you come from.Over here it is The Zenith,The Summit,The Titanic.It peeved us no end when the cast of the film refered to the ship as 'Titanic'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes but in Jolly old england it Hospital not the Hospital as in "he was taken to hospital". I don't see how this is cruise related and frankly if the use of the "the" bothers you that much, you must really get upset when someone shows up in formal night with nothing on...

Danno,

I worked on ships for 12 years, and THE was always the way "Sailors" refered to their ships or other ships. As in, " I was on THE Liberty when attacked by Isreal in '67"

Proper english, no, the way ships are talked about by sailors, yes.

Sailing on THE GTS Constellation 4/17/04

Steam she may.Shine she must..... Squid

USS JFK 76-80, SS Pecos 81,

SS Concho 82-83,84,SS Trinty 83,SS San Marcos 84, USNS Mizar 84-85, USNS Misipillion 85,USNS Spica 85,87-88 DRYDOCKED 88-2000,Fasination 00,Destiny 02,

Connie 4-17-04

"The" implies ship....the (ship) Century...which I will be on very soooon!!!!!

I also agree with Judy....hate it when people add apostrophes were they are not needed. Also, your when it should be you're.

Other than that...so happy it's the WEEKEND!!!! WOO HOO!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Celebrity Century 5/8/04 -Western Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;8;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Carnival Ecstasy 2/04 - Baja

Tahitian Princess 2/03- French Polynesia

Sea Princess 7/02 - Alaska

Carnival Ecstasy 5/02 - Baja

Royal Caribbean Monarch 10/00 - Southern Caribbean

Carnival Elation 10/99 - Mexican Riviera

Royal Caribbean Monarch 1/97 - Southern Caribbean

danno, I couldn’t agree with you more!

Wifester went to store last night, and she took Explorer, because groceries take up too much room to fit in Neon. I had to walk dog while wifester was doing shopping, I hate that, I’m man of house!

Honestly, to tell you the truth, Johnny Squid had it right, I’ve been on more ships than you’ll probably ever see, and every single one of them was preceded by the word THE!

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Okay, I've never been on a cruise, but something comes to mind. In an old movie, I heard Cary Grant (Mr. Impeccable) refer to one of the Cunard Queens as "the Elizabeth". Maybe I was born after my time, but if it was good enough for an ocean liner, it ought to be good enough for a cruise ship.

What would John Maxtone Graham say?

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

Archived