Mariner May 10 PNW pros and cons

We were also on the May 10th Mariner cruise and loved it. Mariner is MUCH nicer ship than Voyager. Just like Voyager the crew of Mariner were soooooooo friendly. I never passed a crewmember no matter whether officer or cleaner who did not say "hi". Unlike at least 6 other cruisecritic responders on thread about Allan, the concierge, we found him to be VERY personable and helpful. He was always in CL during his published hours and mingled with all tables during cocktails. He helped the two bar guys when they got behind. I guess the other cruisers with a negative impression got through to management. Allan was definitely doing a fine job. CL was always packed and consequently warm. As stated earlier there was overflow in Lotus. I expected to hear a lot of complaining on the cruise due to itinerary change but never heard ANY negative remarks. This was a first for ANY of our 59 cruises! I am looking forward to returning to Mariner for Oct 4th cruise.

Rick

I also noted that Allen was attentive to CL guests. He is not a particularly outgoing person, but he did do his job. Some previous cruisers have also posted that the specialty coffee machine was not working later in the day. On this cruise, I often got cappucino in the afternoon, no problem. Perhaps he has gotten complaints and has changed his ways. At any rate, he was OK as concierge. He also did not care if drinks were taken out of the CL as long as you used a paper cup.

I also noted that Allen was attentive to CL guests. He is not a particularly outgoing person, but he did do his job. Some previous cruisers have also posted that the specialty coffee machine was not working later in the day. On this cruise, I often got cappucino in the afternoon, no problem. Perhaps he has gotten complaints and has changed his ways. At any rate, he was OK as concierge. He also did not care if drinks were taken out of the CL as long as you used a paper cup.

Thanks for your positive review. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. We are going in July, most likely to Mexico. I was concerned about what I heard about Allen, and am glad to hear that you had an OK experience with him. I was wondering about your comment about taking drinks out of the CL, did you mean the coffee or were you referring to wine etc?

We were also on the May 10th Mariner cruise and loved it. Mariner is MUCH nicer ship than Voyager. Just like Voyager the crew of Mariner were soooooooo friendly. I never passed a crewmember no matter whether officer or cleaner who did not say "hi". Unlike at least 6 other cruisecritic responders on thread about Allan, the concierge, we found him to be VERY personable and helpful. He was always in CL during his published hours and mingled with all tables during cocktails. He helped the two bar guys when they got behind. I guess the other cruisers with a negative impression got through to management. Allan was definitely doing a fine job. CL was always packed and consequently warm. As stated earlier there was overflow in Lotus. I expected to hear a lot of complaining on the cruise due to itinerary change but never heard ANY negative remarks. This was a first for ANY of our 59 cruises! I am looking forward to returning to Mariner for Oct 4th cruise.

Rick

Maybe there was enough comments that he realized that he needed to improve his job skills.

I was referring to alcoholic drinks. Please no flames. I know you are not supposed to take out drinks. However, when it is offered, I accept. One of the bartenders took my half full wine glass that I was turning in at closing and poured it into a paper cup, then topped off the cup and gave it to me to take. Concierges vary so from ship to ship. Some allow drinks taken out in a paper cup. Then there are those who will chase you down the hall if you forget and wander out with a drink! That is DeeDee on AOS. She is a hoot, but very strict about not allowing drinks to be taken out. She did actually chase a couple (not us) on the first night when they just forgot about the drink thing. They were very embarassed. I believe DeeDee should have waited until the second night, then told them quietly that they were not to take out drinks.

Go to the Royal Carribbean ROLL CALL Forums. It is in red on the top of each page.

Then go to Mariner of the Seas. Then find the date you are interested in.

Hope this helps

Barbara

Archived