Question about prices??

alandruss

So myself, husband and daughter are on the 9/7/09 sailing on the Destiny. My parents are trying to book the same cruise. I gave them the contact info for my PVP, and they called him. He quoted them a higher price than what we paid. I understand that prices fluctuate....however...the problem is, that my dad has been checking some other discount cruise websites and has found the cruise not only much cheaper, but sometimes with onboard credit offered, discounted shore excursions, and insurance included. When he brought this to the attention of the PVP, he stated that there was no way he was finding a better deal than what Carnival could give him. So my dad forwarded all the information from these other websites to him. Over a week ago, he promised to look in to this and call my dad back. He has still heard nothing. And after repeated calls and emails to the guy, still no response. As a Carnival past guest, he was trying to book directly through Carnival, but now it looks like the PVP doesn't really care whether he does or not. Is this normal for Carnival? And did I book too soon?? With all these other deals flying around out there, I am wondering if I should have waited. Our deposit is already paid and we are on the Early Saver, so we can not cancel without being charged, otherwise I would probably scope out these other deals. I just think the Carnival PVP should at least take the time to respond to my dad. I am still excited about the cruise and whether they go or not, we are still going, but it just irks me a little that the PVP doesn't care.

The other TA is most likely rebating a portion of the commission in order to offer the lower price and additional perks. Carnival is under no obligation to match that.

No site can advertise lower prices, but other sites do offer perks to induce you to book with them that Carnival will not match.

If you find a offer you want, you can always transfer the booking, but someone posted that now you can only transfer for 30 days after its booked to a TA.

Some TA sites show a 1A as the lowest inside price and Carnival shows a 4A, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples and good luck.

By ntheir Marketing Agreement with Carnival, The Travel Agents are not allowed to advertise a lower price than Carnival's - so in this sense the PVP is correct.

To work around this limitation, TA's often comply by advertising the same price but offer a pre-paid mastercard or or a gift or some included Trip Insurance; Carnival will NOT match this. TA's cannot advertise to do so, but once you contact them, they may offer to give back part of their commission as On Board Credit; Carnival will not match this.

Otherwise, if a TA IS advertising a lower price it's often for a lower cabin Category than Carnival is advertising, doesn't include taxes, or they don't mention that it's an Early Saver Rate or a Guarantee Rate (with their associated limitations).

ken

So myself, husband and daughter are on the 9/7/09 sailing on the Destiny. My parents are trying to book the same cruise. I gave them the contact info for my PVP, and they called him. He quoted them a higher price than what we paid. I understand that prices fluctuate....however...the problem is, that my dad has been checking some other discount cruise websites and has found the cruise not only much cheaper, but sometimes with onboard credit offered, discounted shore excursions, and insurance included. When he brought this to the attention of the PVP, he stated that there was no way he was finding a better deal than what Carnival could give him. So my dad forwarded all the information from these other websites to him. Over a week ago, he promised to look in to this and call my dad back. He has still heard nothing. And after repeated calls and emails to the guy, still no response. As a Carnival past guest, he was trying to book directly through Carnival, but now it looks like the PVP doesn't really care whether he does or not. Is this normal for Carnival? And did I book too soon?? With all these other deals flying around out there, I am wondering if I should have waited. Our deposit is already paid and we are on the Early Saver, so we can not cancel without being charged, otherwise I would probably scope out these other deals. I just think the Carnival PVP should at least take the time to respond to my dad. I am still excited about the cruise and whether they go or not, we are still going, but it just irks me a little that the PVP doesn't care.

Have you had your PVP for awhile or was this the first time booking thru that PVP? If you had your PVP for awhile, I would dump him. I just think that is inexcusable not to return someones phone call. What I would do is just have your dad call the carnival 800 number and just talk to anybody who answers the phone. I am not to excited about my PVP that I booked 2 cruises thru. My second cruise got cancelled and she didn't even let me know. I had to find out thru Cruise Critic. So from now on, I will just be calling the 800 number and talking to whoever answers the phone. I would suggest you do the same. If there are other really good deals out there with OBC, etc, why doesn't your dad just book thru those other discount websites? Hope it all works out. :D

No site can advertise lower prices, but other sites do offer perks to induce you to book with them that Carnival will not match.

If you find a offer you want, you can always transfer the booking, but someone posted that now you can only transfer for 30 days after its booked to a TA.

Some TA sites show a 1A as the lowest inside price and Carnival shows a 4A, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples and good luck.

Hey firefly,

Inform me about transferring a booking from a TA to Carnival, what is the advantage of that? I keep reading that this is like a standard procedure, I really don't understand this. I booked with a TA, my PVP can only answer general questions about the cruise and not about my reservation, she always refers me to the TA. So I ask the TA the questions, she calls Carnival, they give her an answer, and my TA calls me back. Why this procedure? Just talk to me, somebody, anybody:confused:LOL

Anyway, let me know your insight, or anybody else who has some knowledge on this, I'm confused. Thanks

Hey firefly,

Inform me about transferring a booking from a TA to Carnival, what is the advantage of that? I keep reading that this is like a standard procedure, I really don't understand this. I booked with a TA, my PVP can only answer general questions about the cruise and not about my reservation, she always refers me to the TA. So I ask the TA the questions, she calls Carnival, they give her an answer, and my TA calls me back. Why this procedure? Just talk to me, somebody, anybody:confused:LOL

Anyway, let me know your insight, or anybody else who has some knowledge on this, I'm confused. Thanks

Carnival won't talk to you if you are booked through a TA. The TA is making $$ off the booking and needs to do the work getting the info you need. You can't have the advantages of TA and still have full access to carnival customer service.

As far as dropping the pvp I agree, I am dropping mine after we get back. This is our second booking with him and we had some issues last year after paying off the cruise, nothing bad enough not to book with him again. This year has been awful and I refuse to give him anymore business. He lost our family cruise booking for next year. I will book through the toll free #.

Hey firefly,

You can transfer the other way around, from Carnival to a TA. Unless you have a major gripe with your TA, its very hard to pull the booking from them and they wouldnt willingly give up the booking.

People transfer from Carnival to a TA to get perks, like free gratuities or OBC or a price cut. Otherwise I personally wouldnt use a TA. Carnival cant talk to you if you are booked thru a TA, you are correct. You now have to go thru the TA.

I could get a lower price with a TA, but lose a lot of control over my booking and harder to reach the TA than to reach Carnival and easier to get price cuts, if there ever are any.

Now Carnival is saying as of May 1st, if Carnival did the booking, after 30 days you can no longer transfer it to a TA, they are sure changing rules a lot.

You can transfer the other way around, from Carnival to a TA. Unless you have a major gripe with your TA, its very hard to pull the booking from them and they wouldnt willingly give up the booking.

People transfer from Carnival to a TA to get perks, like free gratuities or OBC or a price cut. Otherwise I personally wouldnt use a TA. Carnival cant talk to you if you are booked thru a TA, you are correct. You now have to go thru the TA.

I could get a lower price with a TA, but lose a lot of control over my booking and harder to reach the TA than to reach Carnival and easier to get price cuts, if there ever are any.

Now Carnival is saying as of May 1st, if Carnival did the booking, after 30 days you can no longer transfer it to a TA, they are sure changing rules a lot.

Thanks firefly,

But I'm going to have to disagree with you about it being harder to reach the TA. I get mine as soon as I call, with carnival, anywhere from a 30-45 minute wait, on a good day, up to an hour other times. And I know this is just my opinion, but carnival being personable and friendly, haven't experienced that with anyone I have talked to over there. They cut me off, won't let me finish what I'm saying, always have the same unfriendly tone.

As far as getting easier price cuts with carnival, why is that so? I paid USA money just like everyone else, why am I not entitled to a price cut compared with somebody booking straight with carnival?

Anyway, thanks for your response, I appreciate it.:)

I checked out the websites like your dad and got some price quotes, then I called my PVP. She said that because I had contacted TA's (over the internet) for pricing first she could not even give me a price. She said that it was against Carnival's rules. She did say that her price would be higher and not include the trip insurance. She actually sounded surprised at rate I got, which was lower than Carnival's website price and included trip insurance, all taxes and port charges.

I'd be irked about the PVP too. Give the PVP the benefit of the doubt and call again, maybe your dad's contact info got lost.

Time to make a decision though...and to me...much cheaper and bonus offers sound good.

No agent can sell a cruise lower than the published price that Carnival has set.

If the price is lower, or an OBC is offered, it's because the travel agency is kicking back some of their commission in order to get your business.

Carnival doesn't compete with travel agents...they won't sell their cruises for less than the current published price.

Just make sure that the lower price is EXACTLY the same... For instance, many agencies sell in to group space for a lower price. This rate would have different restrictions than the regular rates. Make sure ALL taxes and fees are included...in writing......

Does the price on Carnival's web site include taxes and port fees?

Just wondering if the price on other sites may be lower because they are not showing the tax and port fees in that price. They show the those fees later on so it looks like your getting a better deal. Is this possible?

Guest nhrich
No agent can sell a cruise lower than the published price that Carnival has set.

If the price is lower' date=' or an OBC is offered, it's because the travel agency is kicking back some of their commission in order to get your business.

Carnival doesn't compete with travel agents...they won't sell their cruises for less than the current published price.

Just make sure that the lower price is EXACTLY the same... For instance, many agencies sell in to group space for a lower price. This rate would have different restrictions than the regular rates. Make sure ALL taxes and fees are included...in writing......[/quote']

That is not completely correct. Agents can sell Carnival at a cruise lower than the published fare (unlike Royal Caribbean/Celebrity), but they cannot advertise that lower fare.

Thanks for all the responses. To answer some of the questions, I have not had this PVP long. The last time we cruised was 4 years ago for our honeymoon and it was booked for us so I have no idea who the PVP was then. The guy I am working with is new to me. My dad has placed several calls to him so I don't think it is an issue of the contact info. being lost.

I understand now about the TA vs. PVP thing, so it makes a little more sense. The cruise price was not that far off from Carnival's cruise price. However, the kickbacks would have made it worth it. Upgraded cabin, onboard credit, discounted shore excursions, and insurance all included. He looked carefully at the taxes/fees which were most of the time not included in the TA price. But like I said, with all the extras, it would really be crazy of him to keep waiting on the PVP.

I talked to him this morning and I think he is going to go ahead and book with one of these other websites. Again, thank you all for your responses. Very helpful.

Archived