Veggie burgers...do they exist on princess????

wizard-of-roz

I guess I'm the only person who has been able to actually eat the Princess vege burgers! Yes, they are mushy, but I didn't think they tasted that horrible. The pizza is way better, but I ate a couple of the vege burgers (on the Crown) for a change of pace. Maybe I just got lucky and the guy knew how to cook them better than on other ships, who knows. At least they offer them, good or bad. I've never been able to find a vege burger on NCL. Although, they do have turkey burgers for those who eat turkey but not beef.

I guess I'm the only person who has been able to actually eat the Princess vege burgers! Yes, they are mushy, but I didn't think they tasted that horrible. The pizza is way better, but I ate a couple of the vege burgers (on the Crown) for a change of pace. Maybe I just got lucky and the guy knew how to cook them better than on other ships, who knows. At least they offer them, good or bad. I've never been able to find a vege burger on NCL. Although, they do have turkey burgers for those who eat turkey but not beef.

Charlene: You get the "Veggie" award!

It kind of looks like a big pile of just mowed grass with some sprinkling of mud!!!!!

Sorry for the visual.....and, that's being kind!!!! :rolleyes:

It isn't the meat..... Sometimes even vegetarians want a little protein. :p

LOL ....thats what tofu and nuts are for...Again...I do eat veggies....BUT.....I don't go looking for veggies that taste like meat...when I "need" my veggies I eat veggies and "expect" them to taste like veggies......

OK...I give up......who has the bean sprouts that that taste like a rib eye steak, send em my way? :p

LOL ....thats what tofu and nuts are for...Again...I do eat veggies....BUT.....I don't go looking for veggies that taste like meat...when I "need" my veggies I eat veggies and "expect" them to taste like veggies......

OK...I give up......who has the bean sprouts that that taste like a rib eye steak, send em my way? :p

Veggie burgers aren't intended to taste like meat; even the very best ones (my personal favourite -- the veggie burgers at Fuddruckers!) don't taste like hamburgers -- that's not the point. The point is, to eat a veggie patty that's been grilled and slapped on a bun -- it's about the experience of eating a "burger"-type sandwich, it's not about having something that tastes like a hamburger. Maybe you should try one sometime (but NOT the ones on Princess!) -- you might find you like it if you don't try to think of it as masquerading as a meat item.

Doesn't McDonalds offer salads in the US? We have quite a few options for veggies in Mcdonalds here!

Yes' date=' but if you order them without the meat, they charge you the same price anyway. :confused:

Veggie burgers aren't intended to taste like meat; even the very best ones (my personal favourite -- the veggie burgers at Fuddruckers!) don't taste like hamburgers -- that's not the point. The point is, to eat a veggie patty that's been grilled and slapped on a bun -- it's about the experience of eating a "burger"-type sandwich, it's not about having something that tastes like a hamburger. Maybe you should try one sometime (but NOT the ones on Princess!) -- you might find you like it if you don't try to think of it as masquerading as a meat item.

YES!!! Exactly the response I was planning to give. It's like vegan cheese. It looks like cheese, but it doesn't taste like cheese. If you eat vegan cheese and you expect it to taste like regular cheese, you'll be disappointed. But if you eat vegan cheese and expect it to taste like its own thing, you'll find it is perfectly fine - just not the same thing as cheese.

Yes, it's all about the experience. I like a patty on a bun as much as the next person! My preference is for soy-based rather than vegetable-based, but I like both. I haven't had a burger since I was a little kid (became a vegetarian at 12, had supportive parents, never looked back), so I have no idea how closely a veggie burger replicates an actual burger. But I sure like it for what it is, a veggie burger!

Ha! If I had to name bad food on Princess I would choose the veggie burger!!

Blah! It was so bad! However, I may try one on my Princess cruise in December to see if they have improved! hahaha

You know, I'm curious now...I want to see how bad it is!

Yes..Micky D's has lots of salads and other useless offerings on the menu these days!:eek:

As I stated a bunch of posts back...I can't understand why the veggie's would want a burger to start with...a burger has MEAT in it......I don't go to salad joints asking for salads that taste like steak...just makes no sense to me...if you want a burger then order a burger and get on with it....:rolleyes:

But there are salads that have meat in them, such as chicken and duck. I like grilled chicken salads...you get protein. I just don't like salad dressing.

The reason many people will get a veggie burger, besides the protein, is that it's a convenient way of eating. Just like a hamburger is, but most likely healthier (as long as it doesn't have a lot of bad stuff such as sodium). But it has to be made right and have the right consistency. McD's and Burger King have a veggie burger, but don't care for either. The bad stuff takes away from any health benefit.

There was a type of mix that I used to get that would make decent burgers, as far as I'm concerned. I think it's called Nature (something). Very easy, you mix with water and let sit for a short while.

My suggestion is to say something on the comment card. If enough people complain that there isn't a decent veggie burger onboard, maybe the cruiseline will work on a decent recipe.

The reason many people will get a veggie burger' date=' besides the protein, is that it's a convenient way of eating. Just like a hamburger is, but most likely healthier (as long as it doesn't have a lot of bad stuff such as sodium). But it has to be made right and have the right consistency. McD's and Burger King have a veggie burger, but don't care for either. The bad stuff takes away from any health benefit.[/quote']

Yes! Once again, we're not trying to replicate a "real" hamburger, it's all about the experience. :)

McD's doesn't have the McVeggie anymore AFAIK...do you have it out there in California?! They say they tested out "different ones" across the country so I don't know if the McVeggie I had in Manhattan would be the same as yours!

Yeah! Right next to DH's Tux!!!! You are kidding, right? :o

Actually I was semi serious. It would depend on if you're flying, how long, etc. But we've used this method on our personal boat. I cook the brugers, pop them in a zip lock bag and into the cooler. When we arrive at our destination, I put them (still in the bag) on a paper plate in the sun and voila - we have hot burgers.

Yes! Once again, we're not trying to replicate a "real" hamburger, it's all about the experience. :)

McD's doesn't have the McVeggie anymore AFAIK...do you have it out there in California?! They say they tested out "different ones" across the country so I don't know if the McVeggie I had in Manhattan would be the same as yours!

I haven't checked the menu board to see if they still have it. Usually when we're at McD's is to get a happy meal for the girl. Not anything for us.

Last night we do go to Islands and I got a teriyaki chicken burger (sans mayo and cheese). Figured it couldn't be so bad for me.

rdsqrl, my hubby loves the chicken burgers at Fuddruckers (even tho' I wonder if much of the attraction is the name:rolleyes:). We get the grilled ones, and now he'll request that mine gets made without the spices (black pepper really bothers my stomach).

Roz, today we were over in the Warner Center/CP area and when we were driving back toward home, my hubby was wondering if this one restaurant, an Indian restaurant, was still being remodeled (when he checked it out some months ago, it was temporily closed). I said that someone mentioned another restaurant that's around there, and he immediately said the Heart one. I guess he either had gone years ago (before he met me, if it's been around for over 16 years) or had gone there after a staff meeting (sometimes they'll held in at the West Hills location).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived