Outrageous Packing Confessions

I'm usually an overpacker, but I decided I was going to cut that down for our cruise. We leave in 15 days and I can tell already it might get out of control. For our honeymoon last year, I used the large suitcase and a carryon, my husband has his own large suitcase and a smaller carryon.

Luckily, we don't have to fly to get to our port. But wish me luck with my overpacking.

I find that the converse is true for me. That is ,for a short trip (week or less), I still need the same (suitcase and carryon) becuase I need attire for a couple of evenings out, daywear, workoutwear, and pool wear. When it gets longer, I can repeat the same shoes and capris, so I don't need to pack a lot more. I find it the MOST challenging to try to go for a 3-5 night trip and keep all my stuff in one suitcase without an additional carryon. There is NO WAY I could do a carryon only--kudos, in my mind, to those who do!

One question though...I only take one swimsuit, always! I can see the idea of having two if one is wet and changing back into that wet swimsuit is always icky. But seriously I can't understand taking multiple swimsuits! It just seems odd; and counterintuitive, as most women I know aren't too fond of swimsuit shopping. Is it just the need to have different sets of tan lines? LOL. I was just wondering about that one.

For me, Tory Burch wedges are the secret to keeping my 'shoe count' down. They're casual enough for daywear if I'm not hiking all over the place, but my patent leather ones are really cute with evening dressy skirts or pants...so I dont' have to pack more than 2 pairs of shoes (plus flip flops and workout shoes, of course). My biggest problem is the fact that running shoes take up SO much room! I hate to wear tennies on the airplane, too, since I think they look so sloppy:o.

But before I heard a lot of these stories, I thought I had a packing problem--not so much, anymore! LOL.

I think with the swimwear thing, if you still look good in them (so far!), and you're a fashion bug (as I am!), one can tend to buy a few new ones for a cruise, particularly if the price is right. I just had to have the one-shoulder style, then there was another I couldn't resist, one I already have, and one more on backorder. I really didn't expect to keep any that I mail ordered, but I liked them both, so I did, and ordered one more!

Speigel.com seems to work for me, either the regular ones or the Shape FX, and the price is less than half of what department stores or specialty swimwear stores want.

I totally agree with you Beanie. I love buying bathing suits - especially when I get good deals! Target has some great ones. Plus having different cuts helps you get sun in places the other bathings suits might cover. The more varied, the more even :)

I totally agree with you Beanie. I love buying bathing suits - especially when I get good deals! Target has some great ones. Plus having different cuts helps you get sun in places the other bathings suits might cover. The more varied, the more even :)

Back when I was in my 20's and lived in New York City, I used to do Club Med vacations, I had about 5-6 bathing suits for a 1-week trip, all different cuts: bikini, monokini (triangular opening in the center), top and bottom attached on one side, but not the other. I met someone from CA on my first trip, and we planned another one later. He used to tease me that I would win a contest for "strangest tan lines."

Now, I don't sit in the sun any more and use 30 spf. After living in south Florida for some time and seeing what I've seen with some older folks who have spent many years in the sun, or for that matter, people my own age who look 10 years older than me, I stay out of the sun. Apparently, it does catch up with you! Fortunately for me, for the time that I lived in NYC, summer was rather short. I only went to the beach maybe 2-3 times all season. When I moved here, after 1 year, I stopped lying out to tan.

I once took 17 pairs of shoes on a cruise. (and YES, I wore them all). That was when we drove to the port. Last year when we flew, I only took 13!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Another Imelda (Marcos) - as my DH calls me. At last count I was at 192 pairs but I have bought many more since. Footwear is my passion but deciding on which to take is a hard task. Storing them is even harder :D

Another Imelda (Marcos) - as my DH calls me. At last count I was at 192 pairs but I have bought many more since. Footwear is my passion but deciding on which to take is a hard task. Storing them is even harder :D

Do you actually wear all of them, or are some really ready to be donated/discarded?

Do you actually wear all of them, or are some really ready to be donated/discarded?

I must confess that I do forget what I have. I was seriously thinking about photographing them all and making a catalogue.

I never keep footwear that is passed the best. I always purchase extra heel-tips with each pair of high-heels so they can be replaced if they wear down a little. Others go to the cobblers and if they are beyond economical repair they get put in the bin.

I'm that bad that coming back from an appointment in town this morning I saw a lovely pair of heeled gladiator sandals that I just had to have. Conversation with DH when he comes home from work will be:

Me: "do you like the sandals I got in town today?"

DH: "yeah, they're nice and you really needed another pair of black sandals, didn't you":rolleyes:

I must confess that I do forget what I have. I was seriously thinking about photographing them all and making a catalogue.

I never keep footwear that is passed the best. I always purchase extra heel-tips with each pair of high-heels so they can be replaced if they wear down a little. Others go to the cobblers and if they are beyond economical repair they get put in the bin.

I'm that bad that coming back from an appointment in town this morning I saw a lovely pair of heeled gladiator sandals that I just had to have. Conversation with DH when he comes home from work will be:

Me: "do you like the sandals I got in town today?"

DH: "yeah, they're nice and you really needed another pair of black sandals, didn't you":rolleyes:

My mom is like you. She has, on the shelf in her closet, shoe boxes about 4 rows deep, all labeled with what's in them!

My mom is like you. She has, on the shelf in her closet, shoe boxes about 4 rows deep, all labeled with what's in them!

I had a friend who took a picture of the shoes and attached it to the outside of the box.

• 3 weeks later...

True Packing Confession:

I generally overpack for myself (5 or 6 bikinis and 3 formal dresses for a 7 night cruise with 2 formal nights). And I underpack for DH. I always end up buying him a shirt or two to get through the trip because I never allow him enough space in our luggage ;) True.

True Store that DH just loves to tell:

We pull up to the luggage drop off at the airport and DH gets out and unloads the bags. Porter comes up to help him and get them tagged. Porter and DH are making small talk about going on vacation when the Porter looks sort of puzzled and asks, "where's the rest of the family" DH looks at me and I very innocently answer "at home sleeping" The Porter says, "your kidding, right?" DH shrugs his shoulders and I just smiled and walked away.

DH tells everyone that is why we no longer fly but drive to the ports instead.

For my first cruise I packed everything I could think of, suggested by CC board members, insisted on by my travel agent, etc. The end of that cruise was the beginning of my try to travel more lightly phase. Instead of a large and medium suitcase plus a carryon and a huge purse, I got it down to a large suitcase, carryon and medium purse.

For the 17 day cruise I took the same and it was sufficient. For my last cruise I got it all in a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag. For me, overpacking is nothing to be ashamed of, just a personal hassle. Trying to find multiple bags at disembarkation and getting them to the shuttle is more work than I want to do so I've really limited my "have to haves."

This is our first cruise that we have had to pay for 1st piece of checked luggage. We were so irritated that we have made it our mission...the whole group...to see who can pack the lightest. We were all Overpackers and didn't care. My daughter and I will be sharing a cabin, so we are going to share luggage. We will have 1 large piece of luggage and 2 carry-on sizes for 7 day cruise. I'm a little nervous.

On each cruise and land trip I've been on, I have learned to pack less

each time. When you travel solo or with another lady friend, you don't

have a husband to help carry everything for you.

So that makes a BIG difference in what I pack now.;):)

I was thinking how many more clothes I could take if they were all a tiny size 2. How many size 2 bikinis can you cram in a 26" suitcase?

My granddaughter (size 3T) is going to Alaska with us and can have her very own full size suitcase. Grandmas things will be taking up that extra room!

For my first several cruises, I took at least 10 pairs of shoes, 8 or 9 dresses (back in the day when dresses were expected at dinner), shirts, sweaters, wraps, pants, jeans, ..... for a 7 day cruise. I'd have an enormous suitcase, another suitcase, a carryon, and my purse. Every one would be stuffed fully.

Now, I can do 7 days in a carryon, but I still REALLY miss my shoes.

We just took a trip to Italy for 20 nights with a carry on suitcase and knapsack each. It required quite a bit of planning and of course we had to do laundry a couple of times during the trip, but I really liked not having to worry whether my bags would arrive in Rome with me.

If we're driving to the port I'll toss in everything but the dogs and cats, but for any trip where flying is involved I'll do carry on only if I can from now on.

This is my first cruise and since I like to wear dresses and skirts, I'll probably have many with me as well as all the daytime clothes, plus anything else I can fit in my bags! I plan on taking one big suitcase, a really nice garmet bag, a carry-on and a large purse/bag. When I made our airline reservations, I upgraded to a higher class just to escape the baggage charge....it was cheaper by far to pay for the upgrade instead of paying for our bags to check!

I don't overpack anymore. I take one bathing suit and rinse it out after each use. Probably 3 pair of shoes packed and wear my heaviest ones (Athletic trainers). Casual outfit for each day (like shorts/top) if it's a 7-day or less, 1 formal dress/slacks I can change up, and a lightweight but nice dress for each night.

My biggest challenge is that I am about to take my first 15 day trip. Three days in Rome and 12 on board. I expect to send clothes out for laundry and dry cleaning for the first time ever, but will do that rather than bring 30 outfits. I will probably pack for a 7-day trip and that should work.

I don't overpack anymore. I take one bathing suit and rinse it out after each use. Probably 3 pair of shoes packed and wear my heaviest ones (Athletic trainers). Casual outfit for each day (like shorts/top) if it's a 7-day or less, 1 formal dress/slacks I can change up, and a lightweight but nice dress for each night.

My biggest challenge is that I am about to take my first 15 day trip. Three days in Rome and 12 on board. I expect to send clothes out for laundry and dry cleaning for the first time ever, but will do that rather than bring 30 outfits. I will probably pack for a 7-day trip and that should work.

Here's my packing list for 20 nights with just carry on. We had 4 days in Rome an 14 onboald, although we also were on a line with self-serve laundries. Maybe this will give you some ideas:): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997927

Archived