20 nights in Italy with carry on luggage only - Yes, you can!

I’m just back from a 20-night trip to Italy. Four nights in Rome and 14 nights onboard the beautiful Azamara Quest. For this trip, Don (DH) and I decided that we were going to bring carry on luggage only. We managed to get all of our travel gear into a pair of 21-inch suitcases and two knapsacks. And he brought as much stuff as I did, so no, I did not usurp any of his packing space except for his 3-1-1 bag.:)

I thought that, if anybody else out there wants to travel “light” although manageable, our bags were a bit heavy), they could refer to my list as a starting point. I am not a petite woman (and we’ll leave it at that), so if you’re smaller than a size 12, you can bring even more stuff with you.

This list is not meant for:

* Slaves to fashion who can’t fathom wearing shoes or carrying purses that don’t match their outfits

* Women who refuse to do laundry while on vacation (the Quest had a self-service laundry)

* Women who think that everybody else is looking and cares what they’re wearing or cares that they are and do (parse that!)

* Somebody who can’t lift the bag over her head to put it into the overhead bin on the plane.

What I wore on the trip:

Chico’s Traveller’s pants

Chico’s hooded jacket

White jewelneck short sleeved shirt

Bra

Undies

Socks

Running shoes

Casual watch/engagement & wedding rings

What I packed:

Clothing

4 bras

6 pr undies (3 quick-dry)

2 pr black socks

3 pr sheer knee highs

3 T-shirts (one for night, one for the gym & one for casual wear)

2 tank tops (blue and black)

2 long sleeved knit tops (red and black)

3 short sleeved tops (blue, olive, “critterchick” crystal)

1 pr black pants

1 pr khaki pants

1 pr hiking pants (zip-off to shorts)

1 pr walking shorts

1 pr knit pants

1 black skirt

1 white skirt

1 reversible tank dress

1 white cardigan

1 lightweight rain jacket

1 pashmina shawl

1 visor

2 pr walking shoes

1 pr flipflops

swimsuit

Toiletries

3 oz each shampoo, conditioner, styling gel, leave-in conditioner

.5 oz each day face cream, night face cream, eye cream

sample size nighttime eye cream

2 3 oz body lotions

24 gm toothpaste

chapstick

deodorant (solid stick)

Makeup

Mascara

lipstick, gloss, pencil

powder

blush

eye shadow

nail polish

polish remover pads

baby powder

Medications:

Tinactin

Cortisone

Antibiotic cream

Claritin

aspirin

melatonin

Pepcid AC

Vitamins & supplements

Therma Care pads (2)

Monistat

Jewelry:

pearl necklace, earrings, bracelet

diamond studs, pendant

3 pr fun earrings

dress watch

Miscellaneous:

laptop (mini), charger & mouse

toothbrush

camera w/charger & spare battery

iPhone

iPod (for DH)

comb

2 pr. reading glasses

Sunglasses

books/travel guides

small scissors, tweezers, pens

excursion purse

What I bought:

Shampoo

Conditioner

body lotion

hand cream

black shawl

The scary thing is that I think I’m leaving some stuff out!

I wore everything except for the long sleeved tops because it was so hot and the knee highs because they’re so dorky. I washed my undies in the bathroom sink most nights. We did laundry three times during the cruise – two loads each time. We sent out a few items to be dry cleaned, not more than $25 worth.

I was able to put some of my liquids into Don’s 3-1-1 bag and any medications were separately declared (they only cared about it at Dulles Airport on the last leg of our flight home).

I used packing cubes – it’s amazing how much stuff you can get into even the little ones, and then compress them.

I would change my shoes and take a pair of dancing shoes, since the flats I had were great for walking but not for cutting the rug – they stuck to the dance floor. I would probably leave the hiking pants out of the bag, and substitute a longish pairs of shorts.

And I'd toss in some noise-cancelling headphones. Our flight back was so noisy we couldn't get any sleep.

Oh, and we were able to add a few souvenirs on the return.:D

When I have the energy I will also post Don’s list.

Actually, I can't, nor do I care to--but if it pleases you, then I'm happy you could do it. I'm allergic to fabric softener, so can't use public laundries. Plus, I like clothing options when I travel, so wouldn't want to be limited.

Jean, Thanks for your terrific post.

I HATE paying the airlines for checked baggage and I can't always fly Southwest or the few other airlines that don't charge for checked bags.

I doubt I will be able to take a 20 day cruise any time soon (Yes, I am jealous). I do however, plan to take a cruise to Hawaii from California and that would be 14 or 15 days, and my personal challenge is to do it with Carry-on luggage.

Great list Jean, I think I could do it.

I sort of cringed when I read about the zip-off hiking pants, I just cannot see you in those. I really am surprised that you didn't take dancing shoes, as much as the two of you dance.

Your list sounds varied enough that you could mix and match just about everything, making a lot of different looks. I think many people have a hard time letting go of what they think they should look like, or that they won't look good if they don't have a mountain of clothing along. Smart packing is all about the right choices, quality over quantity and ease of care with travel fabrics.

Did you end up getting that reversible dress from (I think) TravelSmith? Although I don't need it right now, I'm considering it, I'd like to know how you liked it and the quality.

When we went last year I packed in a 24 inch suitcase and a 22 inch carry on, plus a personal bag. But we did have formal nights, so those 3 cocktail dresses took up plenty of space. I also found that long sleeved shirts were useless to me and could have left 3 of the 4 at home, I didn't take enough short sleeved shirts. We didn't have the luxury of a laundry facility, but still our laundry charges were only around $100 for a 19 day trip.

Great list; thanks for posting. IMO, people tend to overpack and not wear a lot of the clothes they bring. It's so much easier not to have to worry about and haul a lot of luggage around.

For whomever was allergic to fabric softeners, you can still use a public laundry if you wash your own clothes; just don't add fabric softener. We use a non-allergenic one at home that works very well.

I went to Italy on a land vacation a few years ago and I way over packed. Trying to get the huge suitcases on and off the trains was not fun. ( we were two females alone) I swore I would never do that again. Didn't need half the stuff I packed.

I think once you have done a trip like that you will never do the over

packing thing again. I learned my lesson.

Each time I cruise I take less and less also. Just not fun lugging around

large and heavy luggage. Now, if I could just convince my cruising friend

to do the same.:p:D

Great list Jean, I think I could do it.

I sort of cringed when I read about the zip-off hiking pants, I just cannot see you in those. I really am surprised that you didn't take dancing shoes, as much as the two of you dance.

Your list sounds varied enough that you could mix and match just about everything, making a lot of different looks. I think many people have a hard time letting go of what they think they should look like, or that they won't look good if they don't have a mountain of clothing along. Smart packing is all about the right choices, quality over quantity and ease of care with travel fabrics.

Did you end up getting that reversible dress from (I think) TravelSmith? Although I don't need it right now, I'm considering it, I'd like to know how you liked it and the quality.

When we went last year I packed in a 24 inch suitcase and a 22 inch carry on, plus a personal bag. But we did have formal nights, so those 3 cocktail dresses took up plenty of space. I also found that long sleeved shirts were useless to me and could have left 3 of the 4 at home, I didn't take enough short sleeved shirts. We didn't have the luxury of a laundry facility, but still our laundry charges were only around $100 for a 19 day trip.

We did do some real hiking, so I thought the pants would come in handy. But they were too hot when long and just a bit too short when short, so I would leave them behind. I also foolishly thought that I could dance in flats. I did, but stumbled more than usual.

I really enjoyed that Travelsmith dress. I got the black & white reversible to solid black. Don loved it (given his lack of fashion sense perhaps I should have been concerned, LOL). It turned out to be quite versatile.

I also should have added that this isn't for cruises with formal nights, obviously. Azamara is a "country club" casual line, so no long dresses and accessories required.

6rugrats, I don't know how you think you know that, but you are wrong.

The residue from fabric softener is enough to give me hives. We tried it at home by having me do my laundry (including sheets and towels) separately from the rest of the family, but it didn't work. Some episodes of hives have been so severe that my entire torso was covered and it took five years of my taking five different medications twice a day (plus a couple of courses of prednisone) to get it resolved. That's not something I'm going to risk.

I am going to make this cruise with one carry on suitcase for each myself and one for husband. I know we can carry a purse also. What can my husband carry? Is there a size limit to the purse size? I heard he can carry a back pack along with his carry on suitcase. Does anyone know? I explained to him that I have a very pretty pink purse can can use but he is not excepting that idea!

We can carry are coats and he can wear his tux jacket on the flight so it will not have to go into the suit case. I will make this 7 day cruise with just a our carry on stuff. Need some help please.

Thanks,

I can do 3 weeks with one case, but a carryon? You are a goddess!! I agree with whomever said about carrying bags on and off trains, that's enough to make anyone underpack.

Jean, I bow to you, awesome job! And to whomever is allergic to fabric softener, rinse your own stuff over night. T-shirts, undies, bras etc can all be handwashed.

I agree with whomever said about carrying bags on and off trains, that's enough to make anyone underpack.

That's exactly how I became a light packing convert....

Metros and Train Stations in Europe...along with cute little boutique hotels with no elevators....

oh and those Travelsmith reversible dresses are cute...

We used to have any outlet near us...so I got mine for $10.00 a few years ago..simple long A-line black on one side and red with small design on the other...

That's exactly how I became a light packing convert....

Metros and Train Stations in Europe...along with cute little boutique hotels with no elevators....

oh and those Travelsmith reversible dresses are cute...

We used to have any outlet near us...so I got mine for $10.00 a few years ago..simple long A-line black on one side and red with small design on the other...

That's a really good idea, I'll keep an eye out for those.

I am going to make this cruise with one carry on suitcase for each myself and one for husband. I know we can carry a purse also. What can my husband carry? Is there a size limit to the purse size? I heard he can carry a back pack along with his carry on suitcase. Does anyone know? I explained to him that I have a very pretty pink purse can can use but he is not excepting that idea!

We can carry are coats and he can wear his tux jacket on the flight so it will not have to go into the suit case. I will make this 7 day cruise with just a our carry on stuff. Need some help please.

Thanks,

We each had a knapsack in addition to the carry on bags.

I bow to your awesomeness! :D No formal stuff, right? I'm still not sure if I want to give up a formal dress. LOL You've tempted me though to rethink!

No formal nights on Azamara, so it was easy. And I think that if we do sail on a cruise with formal nights in the future, we may skip that, too. I loved not having to deal baggage claim carousels!

Congratulations!

I think I could do it too without too much trouble but when I cruise for over a week, I prefer to have a suitcase + small carry-on bag that attach on top.

If I was going on a multi-city land trip, I would definitely go for the carry-on only (I did a 6-night cruise with only a carry on suitcase + small bag that attach on top and also a 10-night Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver with the small bag + backpack only, and I didn't even made laundry except for 2 fast-dry t-shirt and a few underwear that I washed by hand).

The residue from fabric softener is enough to give me hives. We tried it at home by having me do my laundry (including sheets and towels) separately from the rest of the family, but it didn't work. Some episodes of hives have been so severe that my entire torso was covered and it took five years of my taking five different medications twice a day (plus a couple of courses of prednisone) to get it resolved. That's not something I'm going to risk.

Just curious, what do you do for everyday? Do you have a separate washer and dryer for yourself? Or do you have to send everything out?

I’m just back from a 20-night trip to Italy. Four nights in Rome and 14 nights onboard the beautiful Azamara Quest. For this trip, Don (DH) and I decided that we were going to bring carry on luggage only. We managed to get all of our travel gear into a pair of 21-inch suitcases and two knapsacks. And he brought as much stuff as I did, so no, I did not usurp any of his packing space except for his 3-1-1 bag.:)

Sounds brilliant. I'm going to compare your list to mine and see what I could leave out. However we still do the dressy nights. May I could get down to 2 carry-ons and the suitbag with a purse or laptop bag.

Ok I know we can do this.

We will have a carry on bag both of us to put in the over head compartment.

My question is can we both also bring a back pack on the plane?

And yes we are doing formal night. My husband will have his tux and I will have two different formal dresses. Same shoes for both nights.

My husband will wear his tux jacket onto the plane and then fold it nicely in his lap for the flight or place it up with his carry on for the flight. We also will have to wear our light weight winter coats on the flight.

I need help on how much stuff can you carry on to the plane without them saying you need to check that bag?

Thanks

How much you can carry depends on the airline. United allows one bag of less than 40lbs and "personal item" which includes a backpack. Delta actually measures your carryons when you check in and puts a red tag on them, although I wonder what they would do if you checked in online and went straight through security. I think our bags would have passed muster with them, but it was nice not to have to worry about it.

In Rome the security scanner had an outline form that your bag had to fit through. DH said that our bags barely fit, although I didn't even notice the thing.

Of course, you could get the gate agent who nabs your bag as you're boarding - somebody on the last leg of our flight had that happen to him/her. It was supposed to have been gate checked, but the agent forgot to do it, so he gave it to the FAs, who stowed it in the main cabin. But they didn't tell the passenger until the flight was touching down. Nice, huh?:rolleyes:

Bravo!

I am currently in Japan on a 2 week trip with DS and we have one 22-inch suitcase and one small backpack each. We've been here a week and I can tell we will have plenty of clothes wiht a little hand-washing. I thought we might send some stuff out for laundering but the prices here are crazy...:eek:

We plan to do the same next year on our Med cruise/Europe trip.

Check with the airline-two or 3 times since info will sometimes conflict-- on cabin carryons. SAS has a very strict weight policy-i even bought those lightweight Heys carrryons to meet the one piece 8 kg economy rule--and was never checked at ohare or in copenhagen. i watched others filing thru with usual overstuffed bags and totes and shopping mishmash. Totally nixed my packing plan! Yes, I too can go to Europe with a carryon--just hate to do it for cruises since i really like the dressing for evenings aspect of cruising!

KandCsailing, in my house no one uses fabric softener. Not Downy in the washer, not Bounce in ther dryer--nothing. My daughter used to think is was fun to peel her socks off her nightgowns. My son is very sensitive to smells, and when he got married, told his wife he didn't want to use fabric softener. My husband doesn't care. We're all so used to it that we don't even think about it anymore.

When my father was dying, I spent several weeks with my parents, and, obviously, had to do laundry. They use fabric softener in the washer, so I'd run an empty load with hot water and soap before I used the washer.

KandCsailing, in my house no one uses fabric softener. Not Downy in the washer, not Bounce in ther dryer--nothing. My daughter used to think is was fun to peel her socks off her nightgowns. My son is very sensitive to smells, and when he got married, told his wife he didn't want to use fabric softener. My husband doesn't care. We're all so used to it that we don't even think about it anymore.

When my father was dying, I spent several weeks with my parents, and, obviously, had to do laundry. They use fabric softener in the washer, so I'd run an empty load with hot water and soap before I used the washer.

I bought the dryer balls from BedBath&Beyond. They actually work quite well!

Archived