When to contact RCCL special needs department?

isk8

Hi! Does anyone have any opinions on when I should contact the RCCL special needs department prior to our cruise? We sail in September. I wanted to alert them that my son is on the spectrum. He won't need any modifications in AO, but I'd still like the staff to know. Also, does anyone know if there is anything RCCL can do to make the muster drill easier for him? That's the only part of the cruise I'm a little worried about. Hot weather + lots of people + having to be patient and do something he probably won't want to do = recipe for a meltdown.

Thanks!!

I would let them know a few weeks before you sail and also when you check in and when you go to Adventure Ocean. I would also see if they will let you have a pager in case your son needs you. There is a group out there who works specifically with families on the spectrum to help them get accommodations and assistance on the cruise line. They provide this assistance free of charge. I know that on group cruise we have had private muster drills and all staff working with our families were informed of autism.

I would call them, couldnt hurt.

Also they tend to be very understanding at the muster drills. Just walk up to the staff there and mention that your son has difficulty in crowded areas and I am sure they will place you off to the side away from the crowds. We had my daughter who was one in a stroller since it was naptime, and she was crying because it was nap time and she wasnt happy being in the hot son in a crowded area. They actually came over and told me, I could go over to a quiet area and sit with her. They were extremely accomodating and she didnt have special needs. I am sure they would do that for your son.

I would go ahead & contact them before you leave but also make sure AO is aware of any situations that may arise.

I know I'm a grown adult but I have panic attacks when I'm in stressful/clausterphobic situations like the muster drill. I tell who ever is running my station and they have always let me stand in the front of the group so I don't feel so closed in.

Hope this helps!:)

I read on a thread here that RCCI works with group called Autism on the Seas (http://www.alumnicruises.org/Autism/Autism_Home.htm) that has worked closely with RCCI and their kids program. I think you can arrange for the muster drill to be done elsewhere away from the crowds. Check out their website and they can help arrange what you need for your child.

We always write a letter and fax it to the special needs department, giving them plenty of time to call us back and followup. We just like for the kids club to be aware that he is coming. With Carnival they are always super nice in camp carnival and will at least act like they have been looking fwd to meeting our son.

We have gone to our normal muster station each cruise except the last when we just stayed in our room. The staff didn't give us a hard time, maybe because it was cruise #9 on Carnival?? But we never try to put the life jacket on him until the very last second, and we always make sure he has a gameboy or something else to distract him.

How old is your son?

Thanks to everyone for your input! I hadn't thought of faxing a letter. When calling/faxing the cruise line, what type of information do you give? There are two main issues I want the AO staff to be aware of...1. He has some auditory processing issues, so he doesn't always catch what is being said to him the first time, especially if it's noisy. In this situation, the staff would need to know that he isn't being "disobedient" and that they may need to repeat something and/or make sure he knows they are speaking to him. 2. If they leave AO to do a parade or go to Johnny Rockets or whatever, the staff will need to pay extra attention to him because he sometimes like to bolt without warning.

My son will be 4 in two weeks.

I'm glad to hear about the muster drill staff being so accomodating to kids. I will talk to the staff as soon as we get to our station. I'm hoping he will be fine.

I did look into Autism on the Seas. It looks like a great program. You have to transfer your booking to them in order to get their services.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I hadn't thought of faxing a letter. When calling/faxing the cruise line, what type of information do you give? There are two main issues I want the AO staff to be aware of...1. He has some auditory processing issues, so he doesn't always catch what is being said to him the first time, especially if it's noisy. In this situation, the staff would need to know that he isn't being "disobedient" and that they may need to repeat something and/or make sure he knows they are speaking to him. 2. If they leave AO to do a parade or go to Johnny Rockets or whatever, the staff will need to pay extra attention to him because he sometimes like to bolt without warning.

My son will be 4 in two weeks.

I'm glad to hear about the muster drill staff being so accomodating to kids. I will talk to the staff as soon as we get to our station. I'm hoping he will be fine.

I did look into Autism on the Seas. It looks like a great program. You have to transfer your booking to them in order to get their services.

We are going on an autism group cruise next spring, but not through them, just a group we put together with our local autism society and all of their friends and family. Its nice to go with a group who understand and can help each other out. Last year when we went everyone had a great time and we didn't lose anyone! ;)

Contact the special needs department and they will give you a form to fill out. It will ask about things like diabetes and oxygen and stuff that doesn't pertain to you, just skip through all that and put "see attached sheet" and write whatever you feel you want them to know! I'm not sure about RCCI but Carnival does not take 4yo's out of the play area.

We have been with them twice, with at least 3 more planned. I love traveling with another special needs group and the extra help they provide is amazing. The reason you transfer your reservation to them as only one travel agency can ask for changes on your behalf and they do it free of charge.

Also I suggest getting a pager so that they can page you with any questions or concerns on how to proceed. They paged me once because my son was overstimulated. I was so thankful that they got me before he was having a meltdown

Archived