Bringing wine on the ship?

rcprncss

Is this true? I read in the back of the Celebrity book today that you can take two bottles of wine *per cabin* on your cruise for your stateroom? If you bring it to the dining room, it's a $25 corkage fee? I have sailed with RCI only and it wasn't allowed.

Thanks.

What you read is true. Personally I wouldn't bother bringing wine to the dining room unless you have something pretty special you want to enjoy. They have a pretty nice wine list on board. Naturally the prices are much higher than retail but lower than some restaurants - at least compared to nice restaurants around Chicago area. But once you add the $25 corkage you're not saving much money by bringing your own. We usually use our allotment for Champagne or Cava to enjoy on our veranda.

What you read is true. Personally I wouldn't bother bringing wine to the dining room unless you have something pretty special you want to enjoy. They have a pretty nice wine list on board. Naturally the prices are much higher than retail but lower than some restaurants - at least compared to nice restaurants around Chicago area. But once you add the $25 corkage you're not saving much money by bringing your own. We usually use our allotment for Champagne or Cava to enjoy on our veranda.

What size of bottles can you bring on board? I would assume NOT the box? LOL

Melody:D

I have taken 2 bottles of wine everytime we have cruised on Celebrity. Just carry it on with you. Do not worry about the size. I have taken box of wine before no problem. First time i hid it in the closet thinking they might take it how bad is that:eek:

What size of bottles can you bring on board? I would assume NOT the box? LOL

Melody:D

As katscruise says there is no limit - although we always have just taken standard sized bottles.

No need to worry about this. Your stateroom attendant will bring you glasses and corkscrew on request. If you have wine that needs to be chilled they'll ice it down for you in a wine bucket on request. Just give them a little advance notice for these things if you can as they sometimes get a little busy at times so last minute requests could take longer. We often save wine brought on board for enjoying sail-aways from ports-of-call and usually ask our steward for these things before we get off the ship in the morning. Also if you want to take a bottle to the dining room - attach a note with your table number and dining time and give it to your stateroom attendant early in the day. Your wine sommelier will have it ready for you in the dining room at dinner, properly chilled if that is appropriate.

you can carry on 2 bottles. let others walk ahead of your other half and then let your other half carry on 2 bottles. no problem. all 4 bottles lasted me 2 weeks while on our last caribbean cruise. kept the husbands final liquor bill low.

My hubby and I packed a wine box in our large luggage and then carried on 2 bottles of wine a piece, one in our rolling carry on, and one in our personal items. No questions, no hassles. We did, however, still end up buying a couple of bottles in the dining room. $25 corkage is pretty steep. I know a lot of people who brought bottles of Vodka, Scotch, etc. in their luggage without problems. If they take it, then they do.. bottoms up to the crew!

My hubby and I packed a wine box in our large luggage and then carried on 2 bottles of wine a piece, one in our rolling carry on, and one in our personal items. No questions, no hassles. We did, however, still end up buying a couple of bottles in the dining room. $25 corkage is pretty steep. I know a lot of people who brought bottles of Vodka, Scotch, etc. in their luggage without problems. If they take it, then they do.. bottoms up to the crew!

If they confiscate your bottles, they will hold it until the end of your cruise and you can pick it up after your debark.

We've taken 1.5 L of wine onboard and taken to the dining room. The corkage fee was the same and they held the bottle for us until it was finished.

On a very recent cruise, while the Celebrity verbiage said that no liquour including wine could be brought on board in ports and would be confiscated for return at your departure, in fact the crew was letting at least up to two bottles per person pass on without questions. In fact, a guest actually asked them and was told okay. For me, I embedded them in my lug around bag, and a companion put them through in full view. And never a question was asked. Very sweet, and this ship's crew knows how to treat customers in spite of the corporate written stuff.

I won't name the ship although the ship's crew was fantastic in every other way all througout the cruise.

Hmmm...on our recent cruise I carried a 750 ml bottle of rum onto the ship from a port. Our tablemates, two couples, each had an identical bottle of rum confiscated as they boarded, so you can't always count on the policy not being enforced. Seems to be random.

Betsy

I have always had my liquor taken when boarding. Learned the first time in San Juan. Subsequently only bottles I want to bring home and purchased off the ship will I bring back on board. Never brought wine as we usually buy it for dinner. I guess one has to be very lucky to get through X's security.

Archived