Minimum age required for cruising?

lana255

Hello there,

I was wondering does anybody know the minimum required of at least one passenger to go cruising? I am 18 years old and wanted to go on a cruise in December, January or February with a friend who will also be 18 at the time. But I was going through the booking process on the hal website and noticed it said at least one passenger was required to be 21 years old. Is this true?? :(

Thanks

G'day Lana.

In a word, yup.

Scott.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Guests+Under+21

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21 (25 years of age or older in the case of persons serving as chaperones for approved organized student/youth groups). Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, we will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For transocean crossings, or other itineraries which our Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation.

Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof.

All minors under age 18 must travel with all proper identification requirements in addition to the signed letter of authorization. Minors who are U.S. citizens should have a certified copy of their birth certificate or another form of proof of citizenship. Children 16 or older are also required to have a photo ID. If traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere, a passport is required. Your travel agent can provide additional information about this requirement.

PLEASE NOTE: In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry and exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry or departure. For specific information regarding the country you are traveling to, please visit the U.S. State Department website for country-by-country information.

Parents, guardians and chaperones are responsible for overseeing the conduct of minors in their care. As such, minors may not be left unsupervised on board the ship. A parent or legal guardian MUST accompany all children under the age of 18 on all tours for safety and liability reasons.

thanks for the info scott

and don i dont think that im 'so special' at all, i just love cruising holland america and wanted to show a friend what a great cruise line it is

P&O Australia is a little more relaxed in their age requirements, but then again, it isn't HAL :-) Our Statendam cruise from Brisbane to Auckland has to rank up there as an all-time favourite, so I can share your pain.

Scott.

http://www.pocruises.com.au:80/html/p_ocruises_australia.cfm

Minimum age to travel

To ensure suitable supervision, there needs to be at least one passenger 18 years or older in each cabin. However, to accommodate families cruising together, children may occupy a separate cabin to their parent/guardian, providing one child is aged 16 years or over.

For departures between 1 Nov 09 - 31 Dec 09 and 1 Nov 10 - 31 Dec 10, any passenger under the age of 21 years on the day they board the cruise, must travel in the same cabin as their parent or legal guardian.

We welcome children aged 12 months and over to cruise with us. We are unable to accommodate infants less than 12 months of age due to limited neo-natal facilities on board and at ports of call. In addition, infants aged between 12 months and 3 years must remain with their parent/ guardian at all times.

We wanted to take our g-daughter on a Alaskan cruise this sept. for her birthday and she would have had her own room (no airfare would have to be included since she lives in Seattle) but since she will not be 25 until Nov. we had to change our plans and take her on a caribbean cruise in Jan. and so we included one of our other g-daughters who is 18 to go also. I would think almost 25 is a compedent adult, she lives on her own, etc. but HAL wouldn't budge.:(

Pokeynose, the way to solve the problem with your granddaughter is to have her in your room and her grandfather on his own. Where anyone sleeps is up to you. If you get an adjoining cabin, it would facilitate this. I encountered this with my two daughters, 15 and 24 who were to have their own room. This was at HAL's suggestion. I believe in rules and would not want a cruise with a bunch of partying college age students, but if families are traveling with young adults, there needs to be a way to do so.

We wanted to take our g-daughter on a Alaskan cruise this sept. for her birthday and she would have had her own room (no airfare would have to be included since she lives in Seattle) but since she will not be 25 until Nov. we had to change our plans and take her on a caribbean cruise in Jan. and so we included one of our other g-daughters who is 18 to go also. I would think almost 25 is a compedent adult, she lives on her own, etc. but HAL wouldn't budge.:(
Pokeynose, I think someone made an error here in telling you the rules. If your GD is 24, she meets the HAL age requirements, see link above. The age rules apply to those under 21, and she is not under 21. She could not act as a chaperone to a youth group, but she is old enough to book completely on her own. I suppose this is all a moot point since you have already made other plans, but you should go back to the person that told you bad information and tell them.

Archived