Labadee

hazeleyez3

Since it appears Barefoot Beach is off limits to all but suite guests, what is the next best beach with soft sand? Also, how about the water park? Would boys ages 12 and 13 like it? My older son wants to ride the zip line. How does that compare to other zip lines? We are on the Western Caribbean route. Are there any better zip lines at the other ports (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios)? I was thinking about taking my younger son on the roller coaster. If anyone has any experience with these, I would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks!

Amy

If Labadee is no longer a tender port and the ship is docked -- how scooterable is the area? Do you have to take any type of transportation to the areas where a lift would be involved for a scooter? Is sand area hard packed - trails, shopping area? Love to know if it is accessible or not. Vicki:)

How far is the beach from the port?

Couple hundred yards -- you can see it. I'm not much good at judging distances, but I'm sure that if you walked a circuit of the entire "island", it'd be about 1.5 miles. It's not a big place.

After reading all the post let's see if I have it right. Six of us going Jan 30th. We will dock and walk off rather than tender. Everything owned and staffed by RCI. Only money needed is for tips and shopping. Lunch provided BBQ style. Drinks can be added to ship charges. Barefoot beach best and cleanest (or just less rocky). Wear beach shoes. Relax and enjoy beach. Please let me know if I got anything wrong. One question. We are all in our mid fifties. Is the coaster like an amusement park roller coaster? I know I am not up for the zip line but might consider the coaster. Any opinions out there
Correct, with two clarifications:

1. If you're Southern, them BBQ to you means pulled pork. When RC says BBQ, they mean hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs. NOT BBQ in our Southern sense. Drinks are the weak point of their lunch buffet; they serve Kool-aid punch with the food. You can walk over to the bar -- and it isn't all that far -- but the drinks aren't right there with the food. This is a good place to bring some bottled water or canned sodas.

2. Barefoot Beach IS the bet and cleanest, but unless you're in a suite, it's off-limits for you. I suggest water shoes to protect your feet from rocks.

At the time we booked our cruise, Labadee was not a private beach and I was so looking forward to the stop knowing there was a nice sandy beach there. I've never been there before so don't know about the other beaches. Is there another one that is sandy on land if not in the water? How many beaches are there and are they a long walk from the dock?

Also is there some sort of transportation on Labadee? I keep thinking I've seen that there is in somebody's post.

Also, how about the water park? Would boys ages 12 and 13 like it?

Thanks!

Amy

The water park is sold in one hour timeslots for $15. It seems short but my kids said they were really tired by the end of the hour as many of the items require a lot of climbing and upper body strength.

They had fun but they said they didn't want to do it again on our next cruise.

Since it appears Barefoot Beach is off limits to all but suite guests, what is the next best beach with soft sand? Also, how about the water park? Would boys ages 12 and 13 like it? My older son wants to ride the zip line. How does that compare to other zip lines? We are on the Western Caribbean route. Are there any better zip lines at the other ports (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Ocho Rios)? I was thinking about taking my younger son on the roller coaster. If anyone has any experience with these, I would love to hear your opinions!

Thanks!

Amy

Amy,

I would suggest Columbus beach for the sand (unless they have reopened the beach area near the new dock).

My DD age 13 had a lot of fun in the aqua park. We moved the time of her ticket to match that of some new friends she had met on the ship (at the shore excursion desk the day before). I think the tween and teen ages are perfect for the aqua park - they are tall enough and have enough upper body strength to enjoy the toys. They also did the big slide (separate charge - pay once for all day). I don't know if she would have enjoyed that by herself but with the friends it was a lot of fun. The zipline is over water and you are sitting in a different harness that I had seen before (there are photos in several FOS reviews). We had done the zipline in St. Martin earlier in the year so I did not book it at Labadee. Once we saw it I wished I had -I checked and it was already sold out for the day - it is only 1 zip but the flight over the water looks to be so much fun. I am planning on booking it for this coming summer. As far as the coaster - it was still being built - it is a mountain coaster. There is at least 1 good video on You Tube which is linked to in a few threads.

Amy,

I would suggest Columbus beach for the sand (unless they have reopened the beach area near the new dock).

My DD age 13 had a lot of fun in the aqua park. We moved the time of her ticket to match that of some new friends she had met on the ship (at the shore excursion desk the day before). I think the tween and teen ages are perfect for the aqua park - they are tall enough and have enough upper body strength to enjoy the toys. They also did the big slide (separate charge - pay once for all day). I don't know if she would have enjoyed that by herself but with the friends it was a lot of fun. The zipline is over water and you are sitting in a different harness that I had seen before (there are photos in several FOS reviews). We had done the zipline in St. Martin earlier in the year so I did not book it at Labadee. Once we saw it I wished I had -I checked and it was already sold out for the day - it is only 1 zip but the flight over the water looks to be so much fun. I am planning on booking it for this coming summer. As far as the coaster - it was still being built - it is a mountain coaster. There is at least 1 good video on You Tube which is linked to in a few threads.

We will be on the Oasis this year and Labadee is one of our ports. My question is do you need to take an excursion to go to the island, or because it is a private island it is open to all aboard the ship? I don't know much about Labadee, but most of these posts refer to only the activities but do not mention much about it they are excursions. Thank you in advance.

I haven't been to Labadee yet but like all other private islands all passengers can get off and just enjoy the beaches and the bbq lunch. You don't have to book any excursions. Swim, relax, read a book, enjoy a drink (charge to your sea card), just enjoy the day.

I haven't been to Labadee yet but like all other private islands all passengers can get off and just enjoy the beaches and the bbq lunch. You don't have to book any excursions. Swim, relax, read a book, enjoy a drink (charge to your sea card), just enjoy the day.

Thanks for the reply

1. Someone mentioned bringing cans of soda from the ship. If we do this, can we get cups of ice somewhere?

2. Someone mentioned that there are guys to get lounge chairs for us. Do we have to rent the chairs? Are the chairs not already lined up along the beaches?

1. Someone mentioned bringing cans of soda from the ship. If we do this, can we get cups of ice somewhere?

2. Someone mentioned that there are guys to get lounge chairs for us. Do we have to rent the chairs? Are the chairs not already lined up along the beaches?

1. Yes, there is a fountain at the lunch place where you could get ice. Also, at the bars.

2. When we were last there, there were tons of lounges set up, waiting for the cruisers.

Guess no one went in the water when they were in Labadee..No answers yet to the temperature of the water and if it was warm enough to go swimming..Maybe the people that are just coming back today will have an answer...Thanks

I just returned, they do have umbrellas - they were the canopy type that you put two chairs inside. I don't know if they were for rent or free, but I saw the lounge chair guys setting them up.

The water was not cold.

I would suggest heading over to Adrenalin beach if you want to avoid the crowds. With the Solstice there this week that beach was very pleasant, especially if you walk to the far end. The map that they give you is not user-friendly; Adrenalin beach is on the far side of the town square, a five minute walk from the entrance - follow the signs and not the map. There was also a clean bathroom with an attendant and an uncrowded place to eat. And you have the zipline folks buzzing over your head, but they are very high up and not annoying.

Barefoot Beach Club this week was a confusing place. The ship said first come first served - cabanas not for rent. Personnel at the Club said Suites only - and cabanas were for rent (full price even though we didn't dock until noon). But when I walked back a few hours later they had abandoned this plan and anyone could walk in. The place was very crowded with chairs on top of each other.

Yes. Adrenalin Beach has chairs and umbrellas like the other beaches - only difference is you have more space, less people. There is a place for lunch right behind you (hint: the lines on the left side when you are approaching from the beach is less crowded than the right side), and there is a bar too. Last week lunch was 12:30 to 2, I think.

Is Adrenalin beach a nice sandy beach? Also, is there a rocky bottom in the water there or sandy bottom?

I like the idea of a less crowded beach and just like to wade around and maybe swim a little. Mostly beach lounging and reading. This sounds like a good place for that.

How do you get to the Adrenlalin Beach once you get off the ship? Is it a far walk? We are not Suite passengers so we are just trying to figure out which is the best and the closest for us to go to? Do you all feel that is the best beach for us to go to? Thanks for your help...

Yes. Adrenalin Beach has chairs and umbrellas like the other beaches - only difference is you have more space, less people. There is a place for lunch right behind you (hint: the lines on the left side when you are approaching from the beach is less crowded than the right side), and there is a bar too. Last week lunch was 12:30 to 2, I think.

Sorry to bother you with all my questions,but here's another one. The lunch you mentioned, is that the BBQ from the ship? Thanks

Archived