Carnival = Frat Party Boat?

stobe1

You're wrong.

Carnival ships aren't 'frat party' ships. In all my cruises I've seen ONE really drunk, obnoxious guy. He was married on board before we set sail.

His new bride locked him out and he spent the night alternating between yelling at what he thought was his cabin door and crying in the hallway.

Other than that... nothing remarkable...

:)

Hey Mach I wasn't crying! Those were tears of happiness for the wedding.

So here I am, going past the Three Amigos in Cozumel, just wanting the Puerta Maya complex, and I overhear the comment:

"I can't believe we're parked next to a Carnivore ship. All those people do is drink and eat. Hey, can you get me another yard of Bud? What do you mean I can't double fist 'em?"

Yeah ...

Greg and I avoided Carnival because we were afraid it was too "frat party" for us. In 2003 we gave in and tried it because we discovered the suites with the aft wrap balconies. I'm glad we did. We had a GREAT time and loved the people we met. There are so many repeat guests on Carnival that even if they were frat boys once they've gotten older now. They still have fun but they're not so crazy anymore! *wink* Seriously, I think Carnival has also worked very hard to prove that they're not just one big frat party. I'd imagine that traveling during spring break might be a big more wild but short of that you should be okay.

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

We have sailed on RCCL Voyager O.T.S. (July 4th,2000) and Carnival Spirit October 8th,2001). The Spirit was, by far, the more sedate, relaxing, sophisticated experience. The timing of the cruise(less teens/children) dictates the type of experience.

Greg and I avoided Carnival because we were afraid it was too "frat party" for us.

I don't know what kind of frat parties you all went to in college, but they never made us pay for booze the way they do on the cruise ships ... ;)

We have sailed on RCCL Voyager O.T.S. (July 4th,2000) and Carnival Spirit October 8th,2001). The Spirit was, by far, the more sedate, relaxing, sophisticated experience. The timing of the cruise(less teens/children) dictates the type of experience.

I agree the Spirit was sedate.....almost bordering on a snooze cruise..........

I have yet to see any frat party atmosphere on any of the ships/sailings we've been on. If it were truly like that my dh and I would not have returned after the first couple of sailings. While I don't mind people having a good time being surrounded by a bunch of "frat partiers" isn't my idea of a vacation. I like the mix of quiet vs fun that Carnival offers. There's plenty to do but yet there's those quiet areas that you can escape to if and when you want something quiet.

We have only sailed on 7 & 8 night cruises :)

I have found every ship is different and every cruise destination / length plays into that. You are correct is saying that the 3 dayer out of Calif is probably the most party oriented but then again it depends on the time of year. Our last Carnival cruise just ended up being full of seniors and it also had 4 different groups on it - 2 different singles groups, one of S Baptist misisters & wives and the Kirk Talley singing group. 1/2 & 1/2 of each type of people on the ship. (wild & crazy & quiet & subdued)

I am a loyal RCCL cruiser and we have never sailed on Carnival, but are planning a cruise for this September and are starting to take another look at Carnival. However, I am having second thoughts about booking a Carnival cruise because I have always had the impression that Carnival was one big frat party, which is NOT what we are looking for in a cruise vacation. We have this impression because we have heard from friends on several different occasions that this was the case; granted they went over spring break, so this may explain the abundance of college students and soon to be high school grads.

Is my impression wrong here? Should I give them a chance; or should I stick with Royal Caribbean? Maybe those of you who have sailed on both could provide some input.

Thanks!

Our first cruise was with RCL and as we were getting on the boat, there was a young lady that looked very dissapointed and said, "Where's my Carnival Party?" We thought that may be an indication that Carnival was a big drunk fest. The RCL cruise was pretty docile.

Then we cruise on the Conquest and have cruise on her ever since. We tend to stay toward the back of the ship, both cabin and hot tub/pool area and find it pretty relaxing. Being on a cruise, clearly people are out to have a great time and may drink more than they can handle, but I have never felt like I needed to move or leave or confront anyone about their behavior on any of the cruises we have been on. We have always enjoyed everything that Carnival offers on thier cruises and will cruise again and again with them.

We started cruising Carnival in the early 90's and the passengers were much younger! The problem is we all liked it so much that we have been loyal and now we are in our 50's which makes for an older crowd. I believe that Carnival was the first cruiseline to raise the age for cruisers to 21 and require a chaperone. I actually saw a group of Alabama High School Students left in Cozumel because of their behavior on the Celebration (5day, 2000). The CD said that they were warned and did not believe it would happen to them . Wouldn't you hate to be the chaperone that called all the parents. I was happy to see them take action! I can honestly say I have not seen anything like that again.

Our last Carnival cruise just ended up being full of seniors and it also had 4 different groups on it - 2 different singles groups, one of S Baptist misisters & wives and the Kirk Talley singing group.

lmao, that just made me laugh. funny how the groups converge... made me wonder if the two singles groups 'hooked up', and what the ministers & wives thought of that lol.

to the op, no. carnival ships are nothing like a frat party. i'm of the younger demographic (late mid 20's), and on my last cruise, while it wasn't really hard to meet people my age / with similar interests, because we were all out in a lot of the same places after hours (and other hours, granted), etc. - i did kinda feel like i met ALL of them by the end of the cruise (maybe 50 or so, and we got around)...

that, or the rest just stayed in their rooms or strictly with the fam. wayyy more families, middle aged and older folks (on a 5 day cruise, btw). :cool:

*thread jack alert*

TahoeBob,

Are you and your wife the ones I met in the show lounge for the game show game on the Paradise? I mentioned my father in law had a medical practice in SLT, CA.

yes we are the ones, it was nice meeting you it was a great time we had. It was my wife who went to your FIL years ago. Please tell him that Angie and Bob said Hi.

Bob

The ONLY time we have ran into obnoxious drunks was a 3 day out of Port Canaveral. On the final day of the cruise (a sea day) guys were grabbing folks in street clothes and throwing them into the pool. Carnival finally put a stop to it when one man lost a bunch of money in the bottom of the pool :eek:.

I'd like to see someone try to throw me in the pool! They would be in for a world of hurt!:mad:

We started cruising Carnival in the early 90's and the passengers were much younger! The problem is we all liked it so much that we have been loyal and now we are in our 50's which makes for an older crowd. I believe that Carnival was the first cruiseline to raise the age for cruisers to 21 and require a chaperone. I actually saw a group of Alabama High School Students left in Cozumel because of their behavior on the Celebration (5day, 2000). The CD said that they were warned and did not believe it would happen to them . Wouldn't you hate to be the chaperone that called all the parents. I was happy to see them take action! I can honestly say I have not seen anything like that again.

That explains it, right there...I first cruised on Carnival in 1982, when I was 21, it was a wild time, and I saw people get put off the ship for rowdiness...now that I am 48, it seems like everyone else is older and more sedate too...Kind of like the Hank Williams, Jr. tune "All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down".

But seriously, I have not seen much Frat Boy behavior on a Carnival ship in a long time...

My first cruise was with Carnival. Then I went on Royal Caribbean because I friend from college planned it with about 50 people. I didn't have a say in where we went, although I was happy to try a new cruise line. Since then I have always booked through Carnival. I can't see a reason to pay the higher prices at Royal Caribbean. The atmosphere to me seemed the same, and I thought the food was better on Carnival.

Thanks for all of the input. I really appreciate it. We will probably go with Carnival this time around to give them a try. We are seriously looking at a 6 night itinerary and it sounds like that's what most of you recommend anyway. Also, I have noticed that Carnival is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper per person than RCL on a comparable cruise length and cabin type.

I hope I didn't come off a a prude. I love to drink and have a good time just as much as the next person; but what I don't enjoy is lots of people getting obnoxious and rowdy. I admit that I have done my fair share of partying when I was in my 20's, but when I go on vacation, that's just not my idea of "fun".

Which cruise are you thinking about? My sister's and I did a 6 day cruise. My sisters are older, mid to late 50's and had a GREAT time. Me? I'm the youngest and am usually in my cabin by 11pm!

Carnival is fine and you can't beat the price!

Who needs a Frat Party Boat when the parking lot at a Jimmy Buffett concert is alot worse..

I did not survive intact this week and came home injured.. 7 days before my 3-dayer out of Long Beach.

Having never been to a Frat party though.... I think the Parrotheads can out party them :)

My DH and I have cruised three times in September and have never experienced "Animal House"! Lol. I'm sure spring break can get a little wild but you can run into that anywhere during that time. I say go for it and I'll bet you have a great time.:)

Archived