Getting a cabin once on board

OK, this is a strange question, but I'm wondering if it's ever possible to book an additional cabin once you are on board a ship? We have my mom sharing a room with 2 of our kids on an upcoming Mariner cruise and would love to get her own room for her. Is there any chance that we can pay an additional fee once on board and move her to an empty cabin (assuming one is available)?

Why not call and look into that now, rather than once you get on board?

It's very possible she could have to pay a single supplement if she has a room to her self but if there are a lot of rooms available, they may not charge the supplement. I would call the cruise line or your travel agent about booking another room.

I doubt it if you can get one by asking once you are on board - I've never heard of that occuring - but some others with more experience may chime in and advise me that I'm wrong!:o

You may want to speak with the pier coordinator after you check in but just before you board the ship. They typically can offer reduced rates on cabin changes that people on board the ship aren't authorized to do. However keep in mind that often cruises do sale full, so if this is very important - the best thing to do is pay up now and make the change.

Thanks all for the feedback.

She's definitely happy to share so the worst case scenario is that everything stays as is and we're totally fine with that. I had asked about getting her a single room but the agent said we'd have to pay the single rate (which was almost $1200 for an interior cabin). We're definitely not looking for a free upgrade once on board but I was thinking if they had the rooms available they'd be willing to sell it to use for less than $1200. Sounds like that's unlikely. I'll try to call them again once we get close to sail date and see if anything's changed.

Thanks!

Do daily dummy bookings for one person on RCCL's website and it will show you the current costs. Every once in a while, they will run specials that reduce the single supplement and if you keep a close eye out you might run into one, but they aren't frequent and don't normally last very long.

If all else fails, ask the pier coordinator AFTER checking in but BEFORE boarding the ship. Once you get onboard the ship they will be trying to maximize onboard revenue, but the pier coordinator is just trying to get any money he can for the company as a whole so has a lot more leeway. But it is still best to not wait until the last minute expecting that it will happen.

Archived