Ship class?

Azure Moon

I've looked for the information I want, but have come up with 3 possible answers, so I decided to come to the experts :).

?????????What is NCL's official name of the class for their ships Dawn and Star ?????????

Thanks in advance for the answer.

I've looked for the information I want, but have come up with 3 possible answers, so I decided to come to the experts :).

?????????What is NCL's official name of the class for their ships Dawn and Star ?????????

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Dawn Class.

The Star and Dawn do have some interesting history.

Both were ordered by Star Cruises from the Meyerwerft shipyard for the Star Cruises brand. In early 2000, when Star Cruises purchased NCL, they wanted NCL to take control of these two ships completely, including their financing. I guess Star Cruises thought NCL could earn larger profits with them sailing from North America ports than they could sailing them from Asia ports.

The Norwegian Star was going to be named the Superstar Libra, while the Norwegian Dawn was going to be named the Superstar Scorpio. If you check out both the Star and Dawn deck plans, you'll will not find a cabin with the number 4 in it, except for cabins on Deck 4. Even for the cabins on Deck 4, the only 4 you'll see will be the first 4 indicating Deck 4. You will not find cabin numbers 4004, 4014, 4024, 4034, 4040, 4041, 4042, 4043, 4044, 4045, 4046, 4047, 4048, 4049, 4054, 4064, 4074, 4084, 4094, if you get my drift. To add, the same avoidance of the number 4 is also present on the Norwegian Spirit, ex-Superstar Leo.

NCL slightly redesigned this class ship and ordered the follow-up Jewel class ships. On the Jewel class ships, you'll find the number 4 everywhere. The official class designation basically reflects who these ships were ordered by, because much of the machinery equipment within both class of ships are identical. From a distance they look pretty much the same.

To add about class names, it's more common to name a class of ships after the first ship in the class, but it's not unique to use the name of later ships in a class to name a class.

The Star and Dawn do have some interesting history.

Both were ordered by Star Cruises from the Meyerwerft shipyard for the Star Cruises brand. In early 2000, when Star Cruises purchased NCL, they wanted NCL to take control of these two ships completely, including their financing. I guess Star Cruises thought NCL could earn larger profits with them sailing from North America ports than they could sailing them from Asia ports.

The Norwegian Star was going to be named the Superstar Libra, while the Norwegian Dawn was going to be named the Superstar Scorpio. If you check out both the Star and Dawn deck plans, you'll will not find a cabin with the number 4 in it, except for cabins on Deck 4. Even for the cabins on Deck 4, the only 4 you'll see will be the first 4 indicating Deck 4. You will not find cabin numbers 4004, 4014, 4024, 4034, 4040, 4041, 4042, 4043, 4044, 4045, 4046, 4047, 4048, 4049, 4054, 4064, 4074, 4084, 4094, if you get my drift. To add, the same avoidance of the number 4 is also present on the Norwegian Spirit, ex-Superstar Leo.

NCL slightly redesigned this class ship and ordered the follow-up Jewel class ships. On the Jewel class ships, you'll find the number 4 everywhere. The official class designation basically reflects who these ships were ordered by, because much of the machinery equipment within both class of ships are identical. From a distance they look pretty much the same.

To add about class names, it's more common to name a class of ships after the first ship in the class, but it's not unique to use the name of later ships in a class to name a class.

Okay I'll bite.... what's with the number 4?

electricron, very interesting information! Thanks for posting it :cool:.

I'd run across the Libra when I'd been looking for info. earlier. What I'd seen was the class was to be Libra, but then NCL decided to go with Dawn, then I found a post here on the boards that said something else, so that's where my confusion came from. I'd missed seeing the class name on the NCL website - have no idea how that happened :confused:.

scchasgal, I'm so glad you asked electricron about the number 4. But the answer :eek::eek::eek:, since my birthday is on a 4th.

Maybe I won't like the NCL ships Dawn, Star, or Spirit as much as the Jewel class ships that don't have anything against the number :D.

Love all the great help and information that is shared on this website. Super cool!!!

scchasgal, I'm so glad you asked electricron about the number 4. But the answer :eek::eek::eek:, since my birthday is on a 4th.

It must be a good day the 4th since I am April the 4th month LOL

I enjoy trying out different ships as I am adventurous and love a challenge of navigating around through all the decks.:rolleyes:

It must be a good day the 4th since I am April the 4th month LOL

I enjoy trying out different ships as I am adventurous and love a challenge of navigating around through all the decks.:rolleyes:

The fourth month - awesome!

We "four babies" will just have to prove our stength for overcoming the number...at least for m a n y more years to come :).

I'm with you about exploring different ships. Hopefully we'll meet someday. You'll be able to recognize me because I'll be running around in circles as I'm directionally challenged, LOL!

Archived