Appropriate dress for Costa Rica??

I want to blend in as much as possible and not offend the local population...so does anyone know if Costa Rican women wear shorts in public areas?

Thanks

Marcia

Was there a few years ago and have to admit that I only remember the local women wearing dresses, not short. However, most local females in Caribbean or even Mexican ports, normally wear cotton dresses.

Don't really think you will offend the local populatin if you wear shorts in public areas unless you decide to stop in to a local church along your way.

I remember that I wore shorts in Costa Rica a few years ago and darn glad I did. We cruised in early March and it was hot, hot, hot. Might have been cooler in a light cotton dress, but I seriously doubt it because there was not a breeze in sight the day we were there.

Dianne

I want to blend in as much as possible and not offend the local population...so does anyone know if Costa Rican women wear shorts in public areas?

Thanks

Marcia

On our recent cruise we stopped at Puerto Limon and went out for a city tour etc. Locals were quite carefree about what tourists wear. I even saw a few local women sell fruits wearing shorts. That said, it might be an idea to carry a light long skirt with you. In case you get stares, just wear it over the shorts.

Thanks

Marcia

Some of us wore shorts and some capris...I also wore my crocs as it was wet and glad I did. Had a ball!

Som

• 4 months later...

We spent a week in Costa Rica and the women--and men--in our tour group wore shorts all the time. Although I didn't see many local women in shorts, I did see some. No one seemed to mind what we were wearing; our guide took us into a church wearing our shorts--he had shorts on too.

Now, none of us were wearing really brief short-shorts or revealing tops, which, in my opinion, aren't really appropriate anywhere but in certain resort/beach areas or at home. Tank tops were fine.

They are very used to tourists and, as well, many people from North America and Europe have relocated there, so the population is quite varied in places.

It was a great trip!

Generally, Latin America is much more conservative than the United States. Men wear long slacks and women dress comparably. Many here have noted what norteamericanos wear, and while the population in typical port cities may tolerate that attire, the norteamericanos do stand out. If you don't want to stand out then be modest in your attire.

Archived