Live at Sea - Dawn Princess Fijian Jewels 23rd May 2009

matmar

Day 1 – 23/05/2009 Embarkation Day – Arrived into Sydney on a very rough Qantas flight from Brisbane at 11:45am. Met up with our KST shuttle, driven by Kamal, the kamikaze driver, who packed the shuttle bus just as if we were in Bombay. Received a SMS from Packetau (Jo & Garry) that the ship was only just arriving. With an unplanned tour of Sydney we eventually arrived at Wharf 8. We checked our luggage in and was told sailaway would be delayed and to basically go away and come back at 4pm. So with that in mind we tracked down Packetau at Bungalow 8 on Darling Harbour where we also met with Ross (Wombat50) and Lesley (Lezann) and Ray & Robyn. We sat ourselves at Bungalow 8 and had a few drinks. It turned out that the Dawn Princess was under quarantine by the NSW Health Dept due to suspected cases of swine flu. With the late arrival of the ship due to bad weather plus the quarantine we did not really expect that we would be boarding to soon. At 4pm we returned to the wharf only to find that the previous passengers were still on board and were being held on board until clearance was given by the Health Dept. By this time all the news channels were set up filming and seeking comments. We were told come back again at 7pm, so off we went again back to Darling Harbour to find another waiting point. Around 7pm we wandered back to the wharf to at least see that passengers were disembarking. We found out that all disembarking passengers were not allowed to leave Sydney that night and were being shuttled off to hotels across the city. Communications by Princess and Wharf staff was pretty poor and it seemed to be lots of confusion. Anyway around 9:30pm boarding finally started very slowly, we eventually got onboard around 11pm. We arrived at our Cabin (B523), nice room but a bit small and balcony more like a Juliette balcony. Sailaway eventually took place at about 1am, it was a very quiet sailaway as I think most people were just so exhausted after the events of the day.

More to follow.......

Mark

u seem happy thats one thing good and thank you for the update.and it looks like you some intertainment from the time you arrived in sydney and met some nice people before you boarded.

Day 2 – Sunday 24/05/2009 At Sea – As expected Noumea has been dropped from our itinerary in order to get back on schedule. There has been nothing mentioned of any compensation. Although most passengers appear to be happy that we actually set sail. Very rough seas overnight and today, the medical centre was overloaded and room service delivering lots of trays to rooms. We are fine, love the rough seas, Jo (Packetau) was initially worried about sea sickness but she is fine and hanging there well. They called Muster at 9am which due to our late night sailaway was a bit rude to have everyone up for muster. Thankfully they did not do a roll call as we couldn’t be bothered to get up for it. Breakfast in the buffet was late today and chaos. After breakfast we started to explore the ship and to get our bearings and to become familiar with what is where. We are impressed so far, nice looking ship, crew very friendly and attentive. Word is that there were a few cases of people with flu like symptoms which Princess are obliged to report to local authorities, it appears the whole debacle of yesterday was the reaction of the NSW Health Dept. We believe its better to be safe than sorry, trouble is Wharf 8 or Princess crew are not set up to handle situations like that. Anyway what’s done is done, we are aboard, we have plenty of food, grog, clean rooms and have met some new friends.

We had to go down to the Captain’s Circle desk as on boarding they only gave me a Blue cruise card and Matt got a Gold cruise card yet we have done the same cruises, how rude! Anyway they quickly obliged and I had a Gold cruise card within minutes.

We had our Cruise Critic M&M in Jammers at 2pm, met up with Pumkin28, Featherski, The Fox along with the others we had already met yesterday. Had some apologies due to seasickness, but Princess will have another M&M before the end of the cruise.

Dining room seating was stuffed up but has now been all sorted, 1st night out was Formal. After dinner we went back to Ray & Robyn’s suite, WOW it’s a full suite off the back of the ship, the walk-in wardrobe is bigger than our bathroom, although we loved the suite, with the rough seas we were bouncing all over the place and noisy. I think we will stick with our mid-ship rooms.

more to follow....

Mark

hey there I am here too.... I am slowly being corrupted by matt, mark, ross, lesley and colin......they keep making fun of me as I am the virgin cruiser.... great time so far... love the ship.... but wish it would stop rocking LOL... makes me think i have already drunk too much

joanne

Great to hear you are all having a great time.

Not the best start but atleast you are enjoying your cruise and not letting the hiccups spoil it.

Thanks for the updates, look forward to hearing more.

Happy Cruising and have a cocktail for me! :)

great to see you are having a good time even though a fewthings going wrong im looking forward to read more .

Thied,

Just noticed in your countdown that you are also on a Christmas / New Year cruise. What's your itinery? Mine is New Zealand.

Does Diamond Princess do cruises from Australia?

Hi Mark

Glad to see you are enjoying your cruise despite the initial delay. Thanks for keeping us updated during your cruise. I can't wait to read the rest so please keep it coming :).

Hi Jo and Garry and everyone else

Glad to hear the wrinkles are being ironed out.

Wish i was with you all - even with the rough seas.

Noumea is no great loss, think I would rather have an extra sea day anyway if it were me. What you save on tours...........!

Take care.

Hi Everyone,

Reading you embarkation debarcle reminded me so much of our Feb '08 Sun Princess NZ cruise. The ship was late in and we eventually boarded about 9pm, so sailaway was non-existant , and after midnight.

Fortunately there was no swine to contend with but there was noro on board, which was a worry.

That said, I'm pleased you are making the best of the situation and enjoying yourselves. I'm looking forward to heading more about the Dawn Princess, as she is our next ride.

Cheers

Anna

Thanks Mark for your up dates....I love them! I'm glad all you folks are finally enjoying your holiday after all the going on's.

Keep posting your stories they are great. We set sail next month and are really looking forward to it.

Have a drink for us.

Cheers

Steph

Hi Jo and Garry and everyone else

Glad to hear the wrinkles are being ironed out.

Wish i was with you all - even with the rough seas.

Noumea is no great loss, think I would rather have an extra sea day anyway if it were me. What you save on tours...........!

Take care.

hey nikki emails to come as soon as I work this out..... having a lovely relaxing time ....... tonight we are doing steakhouse with the gang....

bingo has taken enough of my money LOL.... trivia we are hopless

least the weather is starting to warm up so we may spend most of it outside tomorrow.....

at least the seas are settling .....

Joanne and garry

Hi Joanne and Garry,

So glad the sea's have calmed and you guy's are having a ball. I have followed a lot of your posts Joanne and I know how excited you have been (I am too).

Looking forward to hearing more about your holiday (when you have time between the cocktails and r&r). Keep us posted.

Have a blast, wish you guys were on our's next month...you seem like a hoot! It looks like we have a pretty fun bunch as well.

Cheers

Steph

Hi All

Not sure if anyone is having probs with ships internet, but initially the server no. they gave me allowed me to receive mail thru outlook but i was unable to send. The no. i used was 172.31.0.2

So I went

tools

accounts

properties

servers

outgoing mail 172.31.0.2

You may know all this already but on our cruise a few who had laptops had a couple of teething problems.

Anyhow don't waste too much time on the computer, make us all sweat until you get home. ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY

Day 3 – Monday 25/05/2009 At Sea – Another day of rough seas, although slowly becoming calmer at 5pm when I typed this, usual entertainment i.e. trivia, Melbourne cup races, ballroom dancing etc etc.

Had lunch in the La Scala Pizzeria, yummy pizzas. Lost our money at the races, and well as for trivia we won’t go there, I think our entire group has killed too many brain cells. Pre-dinner cocktails at the Wheelhouse Lounge tonight at 7pm, followed by dinner in the restaurant.

After dinner, rocked on to Jammers until late.

Day 4 – Tuesday 26/5/09 At Sea – We should have been spending today in Noumea however it has turned into a day at sea. Sea a hell of a lot calmer today and weather has improved dramatically. Water was put into the pool today and deck chairs laid out. Pretty quiet sort of day spent most of the day laid out on a deck chair reading. Today’s Bingo Jackpot $1,915.50. Lots more people up and around today having got over their sea sickness.

Saw on CNN that 2 cases of swine flu confirmed off the ship. Not sure what the latest media reports are saying back home, but crew are denying the issue. Scuttle butt around the ship is saying what happens when we get to Suva and the Fijian authorities don’t let us off the ship; guess we will find out on Thursday.

We had dinner at the Sterling Steakhouse tonight, wow fabulous steaks, huge and cooked to perfection. After dinner we went to Deck 12 to disco under the stars.

Mark

That you're currently enjoying a non-visit to lovely Willis Island? Matmar: I picked up a copy of Les Nouvelles Caledoniennes newspaper this morning where the previous cruise has made front page news (not hard to do in a country that size but still) let me know if you'd like me to send it to you. If you're ever allowed home, that is... ;-)

(Edited to add: Oh crap. Wrong ship. You're on the Dawn Princess, right, not The Pacific Dawn? Blame my 3am start this morning :-/)

HI Mark, Matt,Joanne, Garry and all CCer's other on board,

Hope you are all enjoying yourselves, after your delayed start.

Thanks Mark for your updates, they are really great to read and I would have to agree a little cabin where it is smoother sailing sounds much better to me than a suite at the back of the ship....much better on the tummy..:eek:

Joanne so pleased that you have not suffered from the dreaded seasickness, and are enjoying your first cruise!!!!:D

Look forward to reading more and really do hope you will have no trouble getting off the ship at your ports of call.

That you're currently enjoying a non-visit to lovely Willis Island? Matmar: I picked up a copy of Les Nouvelles Caledoniennes newspaper this morning where the previous cruise has made front page news (not hard to do in a country that size but still) let me know if you'd like me to send it to you. If you're ever allowed home, that is... ;-)

(Edited to add: Oh crap. Wrong ship. You're on the Dawn Princess, right, not The Pacific Dawn? Blame my 3am start this morning :-/)

Yes wrong ship, all ok we are in Port Denarau today just about to sailaway. I have had trouble with laptop so I am now using ships computers, waiting on ship IT guy to help me out. I have been updating my word document each day so will paste over here as soon as I have my laptop working prperly again.

Cheers

Mark

HI Mark, Matt,Joanne, Garry and all CCer's other on board,

Hope you are all enjoying yourselves, after your delayed start.

Thanks Mark for your updates, they are really great to read and I would have to agree a little cabin where it is smoother sailing sounds much better to me than a suite at the back of the ship....much better on the tummy..:eek:

Joanne so pleased that you have not suffered from the dreaded seasickness, and are enjoying your first cruise!!!!:D

Look forward to reading more and really do hope you will have no trouble getting off the ship at your ports of call.

No problems getting off in Suva or Port denarau today. Just about to sailaway to Dravuni Island.

Having laptop problems connecting to internet, will paste updates when I get access back as I am currently using ships computer.

All ok and going well...

Cheers

Mark

Day 5 – Wednesday 27/5/09 At Sea – Fourth day at seas now and looking forward to reaching Suva. Weather has really warmed up and seas very calm. Pretty quiet sort day today , late breakfast at Horizon Court, caught up with others at the Ice Carving and went on to lunch at the dining room. Italian day today for lunch and dinner menus. Fabulous cod with risotto and peas for lunch, yum. After lunch we went to the Art Auctions and the spent time relaxing around near the pool. Today’s jackpot at Bingo is $2,860.

Trying to use the laptop has been a nightmare, the wireless connection is unsecured and the number of pop ups, cookies and virus threats keep interfering with the wireless connection. We have heard news that all cruise ships arriving into Sydney will be treated as if Swine Flu is onboard, we are unaware of any of our fellow passengers being ill with flu like symptoms but hey it is the winter months when lots of people have colds, coughs and sniffles.

Dinner at the dining room tonight was Italian themed.

Day 6 Thursday 28/5/09 – Suva Fiji – with all the gossip and news floating around about the swine flu, today was going to be an interesting start to see whether or not they actually let us off the ship. Arose at 6:30am to find were sailing along the coast with Suva in our sights. We met up the others for breakfast at 7:30am and then awaited the news we all wanted hear. The Captain’s voice over the PA announcing the Fijian Authorities had given clearance for disembarking. Yeh.

Today, Jo & Garry (Packetau), Ross (Wombat50) & Lesley (Lezann), ? & ? (Featherski) and Matt & I (Matmar) had planned an independent tour to the Arts Village. Our 10 seater bus eventually met us near the South Gate entrance to the wharf after a couple of phone calls to try and find him. We arrived before the Princess buses in time for us to select our meals for placing into the hungie for cooking whilst we attended the fire walking and cultural show. The show went for about 1 hour, after the show the people on the Princess buses were shuffled back onto their buses and on their way. After the show we were taken on a walking tour of the temple and chief’s hut, where we were offered to sample the famous Kava. I had already tried it years ago and knew how disgusting it is, most of our group tried a sample and all agreed they would never try it again.fter our village tour we received our lunch which had been cooking in the hungie. Chicken very dry and over cooked and Taro under cooked served with Taro leaves boiled in coconut milk and salad along with a Fiji Gold beer. After lunch we had about an hour to wander the village shops before being taken on a canoe ride around the village lakes. Our bus then collected us at 3:30pm for our return journey to the wharf. We arrived back in Suva about 4:30pm with an hour to spare before gang planks being raised so we headed off to the markets only to find most stall holders closing up for the day. Total cost of our full day at the Arts Village came in at FJD$90 (A$60.00) compared the Princess abridged version for A$119.

We reboarded the ship at 5:15pm for 6pm sailaway up on Deck 12 Pool Bar.

At dinner tonight Lamb Shanks where on the menu of which 3 at our table of 8 ordered. All 3 were rather disgusted with them and sent them back; they were tough and chewy not like lamb shanks should be.

Day 7 Friday 29/5/09 – Port Denarau Fiji – we did not have any plans for this port but this is how it turned out. After obtaining our tender tickets we ran into Ross and Lesley who also had no plans, we waited about 30 minutes before our tender was called. The tender ride took about 20 minutes to the wharf. On arrival at the wharf about 10:30am we found an Information tent that was set up with local information and maps etc. We got talking to a taxi driver who offered us to take us to the Valley of the Sleeping Giants and the First Landing Point and village. The 4 of us said yes lets do it and before we knew it we were off in a taxi. The Valley of the Sleeping Giants was a beautiful spot with a nice and easy walk through the gardens. We then went to the First Landing Point of the native Fijians; we were taken on a tour of the Viseisei Village where the village chief is also the Fijian President. The villagers had stalls set up for us to purchase their wares. As there was no charge for this tour we felt obliged to buy some items which turned out to be excellent value compared to the stalls back at Denarau. All up this adventure cost us FJD$32 each (FJD$20 each for taxi and FJD$12 for entry to VOTSG) A$21.33 compared to the Princess version at A$119. We arrived back at Port Denarau just after 1pm and we were all hungry for some lunch by that stage. We found a great pizza joint called Mama’s Pizza, great pizzas and good value. After lunch we wandered around the shops looking for the obligatory tourist t-shirts that we always buy when travelling. Back to the tender about 4pm for sailaway and off to Dravuni Island.

We did not like the menu at the dining room this evening so we chose to go to the buffet for dinner.

Mark

Wonderful review... Thanks Mark,

Certaianly does pay to do independant tours or just go off in a cab...much cheaper.

So pleased to hear that you have had no trouble with this dreaded flu that has engulfed, the media here in Aus.

Pacific Dawn has not been able to get to any of her ports up the Queensland coast and has cut her cruise short. She has just called into Brisbane to drop off Queensland Pax and is now headed for Sydney 3 days early.

Hope the rest of your cruise is great and look forward to reading more about your cruise!!!!:D

Archived