Jumbie

CathyG

Unfortunately, this is one area I don't know much about. I would assume that you might be able to get that information upon getting off the boat.

If you're just planning on walking around the town of St George's there really won't be that much to see and it won't take that long. Anything worth going to see will require a car, taxi or braving the local buses.

The only thing I can suggest if you're interested is to do something like mcjohn said he did on a visit prior to the hurricane and try to hook up with a local who will show you around. He says that he has the contact info for his guide Scotty.

Thanks Jumbie. Between the time I posted and you posted my husband and I decided we would hire a taxi. I thought I read they were $20 an hour. We had originally booked an excursion thru RCCL called Forts, Churches and Parliament Building but it was cancelled due to hurricane damage. I am well aware that there was a lot of destruction on the island but I still would like to see what's left of these beautiful churches. We had been to Grenada some years ago and have pictures of some of the churches. Would also like to visit Fort George as it's been said the view is beautiful from there.

Now I have another question for you. How close is Grand Anse Beach to the Craft & Spice Market? Can we walk it or will we need a taxi?

Thanks again.

Cathy

Thanks Jumbie. Between the time I posted and you posted my husband and I decided we would hire a taxi. I thought I read they were $20 an hour.
No idea of taxi rates. You should be able to haggle a little though especially if you want to hire them for an extended period i.e. you might be able to get a day rate.

We had originally booked an excursion thru RCCL called Forts, Churches and Parliament Building but it was cancelled due to hurricane damage. I am well aware that there was a lot of destruction on the island but I still would like to see what's left of these beautiful churches. We had been to Grenada some years ago and have pictures of some of the churches. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the churches in the town were very badly hit. The Presbyterian, Anglican and Catholic churches all lost their roofs.

Would also like to visit Fort George as it's been said the view is beautiful from there.
Definitely, very nice view. You can see the fort right above the town guarding the entrance to the harbour. If you're up for it, you can walk to it (uphill - quite the climb) or it's a short taxi ride.

There is also a nice view of the entire town from on top of Cemetary Hill or even right in front of the Cathedral [Catholic church]. Although I haven't been that way recently, there is a nice vantage point in front of the Governor General's house. Nothing specific to see, but it does give you a nice shot of some of the surrounding countryside. If you do go on a taxi tour, maybe ask your driver if he'll be passing that way. It's not somewhere I'd tell you to go out of your way to see though.

Now I have another question for you. How close is Grand Anse Beach to the Craft & Spice Market? Can we walk it or will we need a taxi?

Thanks again.

Cathy

The market is located right on the beach. You will be usually dropped off at/close to it unless you request otherwise.

There should also be vendors selling spices and crafts at the port when you get off the ship.

Hi Jumbie, thanks again for all the info. I'll have to add Cemetary Hill to our list. I love a good photo stop. I did have the Catholic Church on our list of churches as well as the Presbyterian, Anglican and Methodist. Also glad to hear that the Craft and Spice Market is on the beach. That way we can do both for sure. I appreciate all your help.

Cathy

• 3 weeks later...

Can you give me some suggestions about a private tour for kids and adults for March....Or perhaps something we can just "wing it" upon arrival.

We do not snorkel and don't really know what there is to do there. Thanks for any and all suggestions your might have. We'll be cruising there on the Spirit.

Elaine :)

Now that our Constellation 1/29/05 Roll Call is going a little stronger, I've told them all about you and your great island info. Also about your Grand Anse beach photos - great! Thanks for your little "drop-in" on our thread yesterday (or the day before?)... Also a big thank you for directing a couple of CC "newbies" to the correct Roll Call! :D

It's getting closer to January 12th - won't that be your Big Reunion day?! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and 3 1/2 year old will be on the Constellation, the week of February 5. My question is...I know Grand Anse gets very busy any other suggestions? By the way, everytime I'm in Grenada I stock up with the cinnamon soap from the Arawak Islands, went to the house to purchase it directly. Good luck on your studies! and stay focus!

My honest advice is to go to Grand Anse walk away from the "concentrated tourist area". It's a long beach at about 1.5 miles and there are many, many less populated areas including some where you can be in virtual seclusion.

There is BBC beach close to Grand Anse, but I haven't been there since the hurricane (not much reason to go that side) and I don't know what it's like right now. I never cared for that beach much though. The only thing it has going for it is that it's usally very calm.

I'd think Magazine beach is the second best bet. It's quite a nice beach, but perhaps a bit rough for a small child. If the weather's good on Wednesday, I'm planning on going to the Aquarium Restaurant for lunch with my g/f, so I'll give you an update afterwards if I do.

The Arawak Islands "house" is completely destroyed and there is no work to date being done on it. I'm not sure where they've relocated to, if indeed they even have.

Thanks for responding so quickly and for the information! Enjoy your girlfriend before all your time is involved with school. I taught at a dental school for 10 years to future dentist and I know it is hard to maintain a relationship. Good thing she is on the ship right know!

You're welcome and I plan to :D

I know what you're saying about being busy. It's why I didn't think it such a big deal to do a long distance relationship while I was studying. Of course, I'd prefer to be with her but I know that most of my time is going to be spent in classes, labs and studying and we won't get to really enjoy "being together" as much.

I'm happy for her cause she loves what she's doing and it's great that she can have this experience for now...

Hope you enjoy your cruise and your return here. It's not as pretty as it was before Ivan shredded everything in sight, but it's still paradise to me :)

BBC is what I know Morne Rouge as. Sorry for the confusion. I just refer to it as that out of habit.

The water isn't as nice as Grand Anse. Neither is the sand for that matter.

Anyway, I mentioned that it's very calm there. That's cause it's protected on both sides by mountains/cliffs. Because there isn't as much movement in the ocean it can get quite a bit of seaweed there at certain times of year, leaving the water not as blue and clear as some of the other beaches on the island.

So, I'm assuming when we are in Grenada on February 9 you will be in class. Are they just in the morning, afternoon or do you have lab time? Just curious. Question--Regarding the new pier, last February the new pier wasn't done so we had to tender. Can you walk to the beach or should we take a taxi? Were exactly is the new pier? Is the grocery store in town still there? I'm sure I'll meet your g/f on the ship having a 3 1/2 year old (hopefully, won't be to shy and will spend a few hours in the fun factory).

By, the way I've always enjoyed Grenada!

Thanks,

Carolyn

So, I'm assuming when we are in Grenada on February 9 you will be in class. Are they just in the morning, afternoon or do you have lab time?

Yup, I resume on Feb 8th. If my schedule is the same as last term (assuming it will be since I'm starting this term over due to my leave of absence) I'll have Wednesdays off until 1 p.m. which works out great cause I'm free to spend at least those few hours with her.

Since I've done the first three weeks of class, I'm likely going to skip lecture on those weeks to have the entire day.

A general breakdown of my classes are M-F lecture from 1-5 p.m. + two three-hour labs in the mornings + clinical skills lectures and discussion groups. Endless tutorials and study sessions on top of this + other mandatory things in the first few weeks.

As well, lots of time spent in lab outside of class skill. A typical Friday left me in class + lab + tutorial for 9 hours.

Just curious. Question--Regarding the new pier, last February the new pier wasn't done so we had to tender.

It still isn't done (lots of construction going on around) but they are using it. The "master plan" for St George's won't be done until 2010. Not sure where the port fits into this time frame, but they have yet to start construction on the shopping area.

Can you walk to the beach or should we take a taxi?

No, you cannot walk. You can either take a regular taxi (no idea of cost) or a water taxi (cheaper and quicker).

Were exactly is the new pier?

Any idea of where the tunnel is? It's on the opposite side.

Basically, the new port was on a natural harbour - referred to here as The Carenage. If you walked along the entire harbour to the opposite end and then basically up one block, you would be at Sendall Tunnel. The new port is immediately (well you've gotta drive/walk in) to the left once you exit.

Is the grocery store in town still there?

Foodland is open and I believe Andall's supermarket (which you might be referring to since it is closer to the old port) is as well. There are also various convenience stores as well, such as DeGale's Discount Supermarket.

I'm sure I'll meet your g/f on the ship having a 3 1/2 year old (hopefully, won't be to shy and will spend a few hours in the fun factory).

Perhaps. Forgive me if I don't give out her name on these boards. She shouldn't be hard to find though as her co-workers will gladly point you in the direction of the Youth Counselor with the b/f in Grenada. She (and likely some of them) knows I am on these boards.

I hope your precious child enjoys his/her time on board. I know that my g/f absolutely loves her job and so does the other staff.

By, the way I've always enjoyed Grenada!

Thanks,

Carolyn

Thank you for that!

It's small and there isn't that much to do compared to some of the other islands, but I love the simplicity of life here. I've always appreciated Grenada's natural beauty and it still hurts to see the aftermath of the hurricane. Time will heal all, but I sure wish it would hurry up :)

We would like to do a tour of the island, visit Dougaldston Estate and then spend the majority of our time at Grand Anse. Should we take a taxi tour around town, end at the beach and then take a water taxi back to the dock? Just trying to plan to see the country and enjoy the beach. Thanks.Th Thanksugaldston Spice Estate

Yup, schedule can be nuts at times. Just in case it was clear, the labs I have are 2x/week.

What I wrote could potentially sound like 2 labs every day which would be a little insane to put it mildly.

Grenada is looking much better, but it's unfortunately not going to be the way you remember. I'm sure you'll still enjoy your visit; especially if you plan on visiting the beach.

We would like to do a tour of the island, visit Dougaldston Estate and then spend the majority of our time at Grand Anse.

Both places are fine. Dougaldston suffered some damage but they are operational. I believe that denboy has said Laura's Spice Farm is also up and running.

Should we take a taxi tour around town, end at the beach and then take a water taxi back to the dock?

If you're asking if you can do this, then the answer is yes.

If you're asking my opinion on if you should do this, then I'm going to have to say that it's up to you. I think you should have a good time doing this if you decide to go ahead with it; provided the weather's nice on that particular day. It's been weird recently, but great this week.

Just trying to plan to see the country and enjoy the beach. Thanks.Th Thanksugaldston Spice Estate

Well, I'm glad you're willing to venture out onto the island. I know that some people are hesitant to do so cause they perceive it as being in total shambles which isn't true. However, I won't lie and say that the damage isn't still quite evident.

Hope you enjoy your stay, and let me know if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with.

Jumbie,

Were going to take your advice, go to Grand Anse beach in the morning and then relax on the ship in the afternoon. Our son needs a nap in the afternoon or he turns into a big crab.

Denboy,

Thanksfor telling me where I can purchase items from Arawak islands.

Carolyn

Well glad you've made a decision. I never did make it to Aquarium for lunch. While it wasn't raining, the weather wasn't so great so I decided to do that for another day.

Thanks as well for the info denboy. Wasn't aware where they'd gone to, and yeah, I should have mentioned that you can get most of their stuff from other stores. Even the grocery/supermarket carries a few items. Bought a little gift basket for my g/f's manager for being cool about not scheduling shifts for her on Wednesdays.

Of course, being a typical guy, I was kinda like, "Here, give this to your manager". No bag, no wrapping and no little card/note. (grin*

Thanks for all the advice on Greneda> Is it safe to take a local cab to Grand Anse Beach? I hope we will see you @ the pier when we arrive in Greneda. We sail on the 12th Constellation.If you ever decide to come to the study in the states pls. contact me, I work for a very large family practice and probably could connect you for an internship. Tina:cool:

Archived