Jumbie

CathyG

Thanks for all the advice on Greneda.

You're welcome!

Is it safe to take a local cab to Grand Anse Beach?

Most definitely. Safety should be the last thing you worry about here.

Of course, like anywhere else take reasonable precautions. Don't expect to leave your bag unattended while you walk 20 minutes down the beach or to go off in dark alleys at night (not that you'd be doing the latter on your day stop). However, even with that warning, I know people who do that all the time without anything happening.

I hope we will see you @ the pier when we arrive in Greneda.

Doubt it. My g/f's usually off the boat by 7:30, at which point we disappear like a magician's assistant :D

We sail on the 12th Constellation.If you ever decide to come to the study in the states pls. contact me, I work for a very large family practice and probably could connect you for an internship. Tina:cool:

Many thanks for the offer! I actually will be studying in the US as St. George's School of Medicine is an offshore US school.

Unfortunately, I have 3 more years of school to go before I'm finished (1 year here + 2 years of clinical rotations most likely in New Jersey as the school has the majority of its hospital affiliations there).

I'll probably contact you in a few years, and you'll be like, "Uh, who are you?!" *grin*

On a bright note, graduates from the school don't have much of a problem with placements and I do know a couple of successful doctors in the US. I do appreciate your offer though.

Enjoy your cruise and visit here!

Hello Jumbie,

I have been reading some of your posts and I was wondering if you could tell me what myself and my 10 year old son might enjoy doing on Grenada? I was thinking about taking a taxi cab to one of the beaches or perhaps doing some shopping at a market. I was there last summer and went on a boat "Rum Runner" shore excursion from the ship. That was fun with three gals but not with children. I will be cruising on the Sun Princess at the end of March of this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Corinne

It's very nice that your g/f manager is scheduling her day off on Wednesday. I'm counting the days down, flying into Puerto Rico next Wednesday, I hope the weather will be good.

Are you enjoying your last weeks before you have to hit the books?

Take care and good luck, thank you for all the wonderful information regarding Grenada! I always enjoying reading your responses.

Carolyn

We like to go on our own and explore. Would it be safe for my husband and myself? Would it be smart? Would we get lost? We aren't afraid of bad roads, but could we figure out where things are? Is it an easy or difficult island to find the main sights on?

Thanks for your help.

The Los Angeles Times has been stating thundershowers in Barbados for weeks on end. We will visit your island on 02/22. Can we anticipate some rain in the morning and then a great beach day? Or will it pour all day? I know you don't have a magic weather meter, and you cannot give weather predictions. I am asking what the rainy days are like. Is it a rain that moves in and out? Or is it a rain that soaks the entire day? We would like to go to Grand Anse beach. If it will be raining too much for the beach, what do you recommend we do? We don't book shore excursions, so any rainy day plan would be most appreciated. Hire a taxi for an island tour? I want to thank you, Jumbie. You are a true embassador for your county. While you won't recognize my CC name, I've been reading your postings for a long time. I applaud NCL's committment to help the people of Grenada. I also applaud Jumbie for making people realize that it is still a beautiful to place to visit. We, as cruise ship passengers, should see the devestation and then spend some money in the economy. Thank you, Jumbie. I wish you well in your studies. You are a true embassador to your country.

The weather has been really strange this year. We technically should have been in our dry season since the beginning of the month, but it has continued to rain up till last week.

Thankfully, it looks like things are finally settling down and for the last week, when it has rained, the showers have been very brief. In fact, since last Sunday (16th) the only day that wasn't nice was Wednesday. This Sunday and yesterday were absolutely gorgeous and today is shaping up to be more of the same.

I honestly think that by the time you get here in late February, barring any freak occurences, the weather should be great and you can go ahead with your day at the beach.

Even if it does happen to rain then, my guess is that it will be the standard tropical shower which ends after 15-20 mins and then lets the sun come out again. The rain that we have been getting as little as two weeks ago has been seemingly endless and has been lasting for the entire day. That's pretty unusual however, but like I said, it looks like things have finally taken a turn for the better and will hopefully continue that way.

As far as a rainy day plan, IMO, Grenada is the perfect "lazy day" island. If you're not going to the beach or taking a tour, there really isn't that much to do other than perhaps to go have lunch somewhere. Most of the things you could do, although admittedly not that much compared to some other places, are outdoors type things and if it's raining....

Thanks for the words and heop you enjoy your cruise and visit.

Thanks so much for all of your help, again. Good Luck with your studies. Enjoy your visit with your GF. I am looking FWD to this cruise since it is our first. Tina:cool:

Thanks and I will :D

You surely must be exciting to have your very frst cruise approaching. Hope the experience is a great and memorable one.

Hello Jumbie,

I have been reading some of your posts and I was wondering if you could tell me what myself and my 10 year old son might enjoy doing on Grenada? I was thinking about taking a taxi cab to one of the beaches or perhaps doing some shopping at a market. I was there last summer and went on a boat "Rum Runner" shore excursion from the ship. That was fun with three gals but not with children. I will be cruising on the Sun Princess at the end of March of this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Corinne

That is a toughie. I don't want to sound like this is a "cop out", but I know that for myself at that age, I liked nothing better than to go to the beach; which sounds like what you're thinking of anyway.

I know that most kids simply love playing in the water and sand.

Grenada, unfortunately really doesn't have that much going on unless you want to spend a lazy day outdoors, do a tour (including water-related ones such as sailing, snorkelling, etc.) or have something to eat.

While I had an incredibly awesome and free childhood growing up on this small island, I can't think of anything I'd recommend as a "must do" for a young child. Most of the time, it was just a lot of outdoors stuff with my friends and we'd have to find things to do (which was never a problem).

As far as the market, there is the Spice Market at Grand Anse beach, the regular market in the capital (which I don't think you're referring to since it's concerned with fruits, veggies, etc.) and the some vendor booths set up outside of the cruise terminal.

There is a chocolate factory that your son might like where they show the processing of the cocoa, but it's quite far away and I wouldn't suggest going all the way up there just to take a short tour of that.

In the end, I'm going to go with the "easy suggestion" of spending a nice day at the beach or perhaps going snorkelling at one of the marine parks. Unfortunately, that will require hiring a boat to take you. There generally isn't very good snorkelling just off the beaches, although I've heard several people on these forums suggest Magazine Beach as a decent spot (you can take a taxi there instead of Grand Anse). I actually did the catamaran snorkelling thing with my g/f last Christmas when she was here and had a very nice time. The staff was very professional and I don't recall it being very pricey. I can provide further information if you're interested.

Finally, your son might be interested in a brief stop at Fort George (you will see the fort overlooking the town). It's a wonderful view and the cannons are still perched along the wall. I loved things like that when I was his age. Anywya, being right in the town, it's not far out of the way so if you're hiring a taxi to go tot he beach, you can ask him to quickly run you up there.

Please let me know if I can try to help you further.

We like to go on our own and explore. Would it be safe for my husband and myself? Would it be smart? Would we get lost? We aren't afraid of bad roads, but could we figure out where things are? Is it an easy or difficult island to find the main sights on?

Thanks for your help.

Just saw your post. I was getting to it :p

Safe? Crime - definitely! Driving - not so much. I know you said you aren't afraid of bad roads, but that's the least of your worries. To explore the island (once you leave the main town area) you're looking at very narrow, windy and hilly roads and locals that drive like maniacs. I've been driving here for over 10 years and I still get shocked at how some people drive. I'm not exaggerating!

Unfortunately, I'll continue to have bad news for you in that it is fairly difficult to find things on your own. There are very few signs and many are easy to miss. While getting lost won't be a huge problem as Grenada is so small and all roads lead to somewhere, it will be very easy to take a wrong turn.

In short, I wouldn't recommend going out on your own. I don't even know how easy it will be to find a rental. Most of them are concentrated aroudn the hotel belt and while they will do pick up and delivery to that area, I don't think that applies to the port and I don't believe there are any rentals in that area.

You might be interested in contacting this company http://www.grenadajeeptours.com/ or perhaps this one http://www.grenadasunsation.com/ If you click on the Cruise Ship link at the bottom of the page, they say the following:

"tailor-made tours, on water, on land, and combined, to fit in with your timetable. Walks and jeep safaris available; bike tours are likely in the near future."

Don't know if you're interested in doing something like that instead of going out on your own, but again, I don't think it's the best idea to hope into a car down here on your first day. Many of the students at the school don't like to drive even within the confines of the "civilised area" of the capital. However, some have no problem venturing a little further abroad.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but that is my opinion on this matter.

It's very nice that your g/f manager is scheduling her day off on Wednesday. I'm counting the days down, flying into Puerto Rico next Wednesday, I hope the weather will be good.

Yeah, it's great that she gets that day off. Like I posted just now, weather seems to have taken a turn for the better. Hope it stays that way and your flight goes smoothly.

Are you enjoying your last weeks before you have to hit the books?
Not really. I'm actually anxious to resume studies :)

I've had a long enough of a break if you can call it that. Wasn't a very fun break though...

Take care and good luck, thank you for all the wonderful information regarding Grenada! I always enjoying reading your responses.

Carolyn

Thanks and you're welcome!

After reading through all these posts, I'm thinking we just might go to Grand Anse Beach. We love to find the most beautiful beaches on each island and just hang out.

My question is....My husband can't do a whole lot of walking. Is there a whole lot of walking once the taxi lets you out? Where is the best place for the taxi to take you? And is there food nearby? He is diabetic and needs to eat at certain times.

Thanks!

I think we'll just take the water taxi over to the beach. Are there any nice restaurants left to eat at? Or maybe we'll go after lunch as we'll be there until 6:00 Thanks again.

Unfortunately, the one good restaurant on the beach (that I'd have given my recommendation for) - Coconut Beach French Creole Restaurant - was badly damaged and is in the process of being rebuilt. It won't be open for some time.

You can always take a taxi (heard water taxis also go there, but couldn't say for sure on that one) to Aquarium Restaurant at magazine beach and spend the afternoon there. However the beach, while still quite nice, is not as good as Grand Anse in my opinion and tends to be slightly more rough.

I think your idea of perhaps eating and then going to the beach might be a good one. Tout Bagay or The Nutmeg are two good restaurants right in St George's. I'm sure anyone would be happy to point you in the right direction. They are not as "upscale" as Aquarium, but quite nice for a bite to eat.

I had lunch at Tout today with my g/f, and while the service was on the slow side, the food was quite tasty.

After reading through all these posts' date=' I'm thinking we just might go to Grand Anse Beach. We love to find the most beautiful beaches on each island and just hang out. [/quote']

If the weather's good, I think you'll be quite pleased.

My question is....My husband can't do a whole lot of walking. Is there a whole lot of walking once the taxi lets you out?

A water taxi will let you off right on the sand. A regular taxi will put you about 20 seconds walk away from it.

Where is the best place for the taxi to take you?

If you don't specify, they will likely take you near to the Vendor's Market. That's where all of the tourists are usually dropped off and congregate.

If you'd prefer not to go there, just tell the driver to drop you at another point at the beach. There are several spots accessible by car, but I couldn't tell you any specific names. However, with your concern below, you might want to stay close to the market.

And is there food nearby? He is diabetic and needs to eat at certain times.

Thanks!

There is food being sold at the Vendor's Market. It's usually local food like fish cakes, roti, etc. and perhaps chicken but there should also be an ample selection of snacks, sandwiches and beverages. I've also seen a grill set up outside of the Coconut Beach Restaurant that I just mentioned. It's pretty close to the Vendor's Market (about 1-2 mins walk away) but I don't know what they're selling (burgers? chicken? hot dogs?) as I've never stopped to eat there.

If you need an actual restaurant, you're out of luck at the moment.

My advice is to perhaps pack something small just in case you don't find anything to your liking. No need for your husband to suffer in that case :)

We join the list of thank you's and well wishes, Jumbie.

Before I forget:

DH has always wondered if the bay at the port area was once used to film pirate type movies. He swears he remembers that area from films he has watched. Beautiful bay. Have some great pics of the area and can't wait to get back to enjoy Grenada once again.

Dianne

Another thank you--and I honestly think that the Grenada travel people should at least buy you lunch! Just think of all tha good that you have done the island on these boards!

Have booked with Mandoo --expect to have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I apologize for cross-posting this message in this forum but I have no idea who is responsible for the kind act which I will describe shortly and I am hoping that the person will see it.

My g/f on board the Constellation just e-mailed me to say that some unknown guest (as there was not any name associated with it) left her an Aveda Day spa gift set because "she thought we were a really sweet couple and she hopes the best for us". This is what she was told by her manager so I apologize if I didn't get the message correctly.

As I said, my g/f (despite trying to find out) does not know who this person is, but I just wanted to say thank you on behalf of the both of us. It was unexpected, unnecessary and most generous.

If you'd refer to remain anonymous or would prefer others to not know about your kind act for whatever reason, I certainly understand that. But if not, I can be e-mailed at:

"my username" at g-m-a-i-l dot com [remove the dashes]

Sorry about the cryptic nature of my e-mail address but I'd prefer that it not be harvested by some program.

Anyway, if my username was Snow, following the above format would give:

Snow@gmail.com

Thanks again!

Archived