Tipping in France

What is the protocol? Do you? Some say no-others have told me yes-so if yes?

How much 20% for food, an euro per bag? or is it 2 euros per bag? What about if I use conceraige at the hotel to ask them about local restaurants? How much?

Paris restaurant menus indicate if the tip is included.

It's usually on the bottom, somtime the side, of the menu.

Or even on the bill. Look for the terms "service compris" if it is, or "service non compris" if it's not.

€1 a bag seems appropriate. Perhaps €2 if the service was exceptional in some way. Also remember the maid, if she's taken care of your room well during the stay. Probably €1-2 per night would be about right.

I also would not tip a concierge for many standard services. Remember that the vendors are probably taking care of them on some level for their referrals.

Or even on the bill. Look for the terms "service compris" if it is, or "service non compris" if it's not.

€1 a bag seems appropriate. Perhaps €2 if the service was exceptional in some way. Also remember the maid, if she's taken care of your room well during the stay. Probably €1-2 per night would be about right.

I also would not tip a concierge for many standard services. Remember that the vendors are probably taking care of them on some level for their referrals.

So, pretty much as in the US. thanks. so service NON compris-means please tip- and service compris means tips are included. Thanks, I may can even remember that as it is similar to English words!

Another thing-not addressed if the meals are non gratis-do you tip 20%? I read a thread where a person from England said they only tip 10% because people are paid better in the service industry. Is that true in France?

Hi, 15% is always added to a bill for food or drink, The French have tried to make it easy but we Yanks and Brits seem to try to muck it up.

Try a google search for "tipping in France" lots of info there.

Happy travels:)

Hi, 15% is always added to a bill for food or drink, The French have tried to make it easy but we Yanks and Brits seem to try to muck it up.

Try a google search for "tipping in France" lots of info there.

Happy travels:)

I realize I can google. I wanted personal experiences. Previous posters contradict what you said-so perhaps I should google.

Another thing-not addressed if the meals are non gratis-do you tip 20%? I read a thread where a person from England said they only tip 10% because people are paid better in the service industry. Is that true in France?

Last time I was in Paris, I saw a mix of compris and non-compris menus.

For a restaurant that is "compris" they had added 15%, so that's what I would add as a tip if eating somewhere that was "non-compris".

Last time I was in Paris, I saw a mix of compris and non-compris menus.

For a restaurant that is "compris" they had added 15%, so that's what I would add as a tip if eating somewhere that was "non-compris".

Thank you. You have been helpful.

having spent countless times in paris, i'd say that 15% is the norm if it is not included. It is trhe same in the UK where it sometimes is included. many Brits though only tip 10% which is probably where this comes from. On the whole wages for wait staff in the EEC will be higher than in the Us and they rely less on tips but still aprreciate them.

if you are ordering drinks and they are serving you outside, I tend to round up the bill to the next 5 or 10 euros. Then again I'm maybe being over generous as I'm conscious that we Scots have a reputationh for being mean and I'm determined to disprove that theory!

• 1 month later...

Tipping is a personal matter. If you are tipping you should go all the way. Add 25-30% to your restaurant bill (the restaurant needs your money), and do not forget the maid in the hotel - at leat 5Euro per day per person. She is taking care of your room, she after all she is doing her job. Are you paid to do yours, or some one is tipping you to do your job better?

• 3 weeks later...
Are you seriously recommending tipping as little as this? :rolleyes:

I think he was being Sarcastic. Heck, I only tip 20% in the US, sometimes a little higher for great service, or 15% for bad service. Some people-fortunatley I never saw his post and so I was not conufsed!

Oh well-I simply wanted to know what was proper-I did not want to tip too much-but neither did I want to be a cheapskate.

I do appreciate the helpful posts. I am back and I did go to restaurants that the tip was included in the price- and thanks to the help given here I knew that-but we did as was suggested-if we really liked the service-we added an euro or 2.

Once again, thanks for the help.

By experience I, and anyone else I've been with in France tip 15% if service is not included on the restaurant bill.

25-30% is excessive (Globaliser, being British was being ironic - quite well I thought ;)).

Anyone so tipping would be regarded as showing off or having more money than sense.

In the UK I never tip more than 10% for anything, and then for good service, not as a matter of course. The national minimum wage laws ensure that service industry employees are paid fairly.

Archived