Cabin questions

Fawn

Can anyone help with some cabin questions? I'm looking into booking for myself and 2 grown daughters. We normally travel DCL, and stay in a Category 3 which is a 2 room suite. A couple of questions?

Is there anywhere that lists the square footage of the cabins?

Is there a particular suite that meets about the same size as a Cat 3 on DCL...obviously only those who have traveled DCL would know this.

How easy is it to get a smaller suite with a inside cabin directly across from it?

Do any of the suites have 2 bathrooms?

Off topic a bit, but do you book thru Carnival itself or thru a TA? Anyone have TA recommendations...if that is allowed on this board??

Thanks again!

Mentioning TAs on this board is very against the rules, so we cant mention one. sorry.

If you booked balconys next to each other, often you can remove the dividers and open them up and some ships have connecting cabins, with a interior door between the cabins. They will be marked on the Carnival deck plans.

BIG difference between cat 11 and cat 12 suites, the 12 to me are much larger. dont expect any perks with them, only VIP embarkation.

No suites have two baths, but there are some cabins on the Dream with split bathrooms, kinda like how Disney does theirs. deluxe oceanviews I think they are called?

Check here for cabin square footage under DCL and Carnival. None of the suites on Carnival have 2 bathrooms. http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/home1.php

Wow! Our Cat 3 on the Magic is about 600 sq feet with 2 bathrooms. The largest room, the Penthouse Suite, on the Carnival is 345 with 1 bath.

I may have to look into adjoining cabins here.

Wow! Our Cat 3 on the Magic is about 600 sq feet with 2 bathrooms. The largest room, the Penthouse Suite, on the Carnival is 345 with 1 bath.

I may have to look into adjoining cabins here.

Sizes vary, which ship are you looking at? Im sure they are much smaller than a Cat 3 on DCL, but thats why they are cheaper too.

There are these suites on Liberty.

Ship: Carnival Liberty

Cabin: 9200

We were in one of the new Deluxe Penthouse Suites. There are only two on the ship situated at the port and starboard forward corners of deck 9 (only the Liberty has these suites presently). The balconies of these two rooms are over the bridge wings that stick out from the sides of the ship. Formerly this was an area that was reachable by those ‘secret’ doors that provide access to the forward open deck areas and on this deck, the wings over the bridge. There is still a door leading to the forward deck area on this deck and the suite door is the same color as shown below. I swear our door handle was tried twenty times a day by people trying to get out front.

The suite door, tucked right in the corner does give the impression that it’s a maintenance room or something other than a cabin door. But as soon as you open the door you realize you are in a very large and nicely appointed suite.

The forward looking view from this suite is to die for. We spent hours sitting on the sofa just watching the seas and coming in to the ports (we even caught sight of some dolphins). The suite is spacious with two nice bathrooms with upscale fittings, a separate bedroom, a huge walk-in closet and a massive balcony that gives you about a 240 degree view. There is a 40” (my guess) flat screen in the bedroom and the living area with a Yamaha sound system integrated under each that you can plug your iPod in to. They do have some design issues in the suite. While there are about a dozen outlets, there are none in the bathrooms that you can plug a curling iron or hair drier in for the ladies (the bathrooms had hair driers but the kind that have no guts to really dry anything). We had to run an extension cord from the next nearest outlet. The suite also has three sliding doors that separate various areas. These rolled back and forth at night in heavier seas. Only one door had a functioning latch to hold it open and even then the door rolled inside the walls in its open position. We just closed all doors each night. Finally, the wonderfully large shower in one of the bathrooms leaked water around the door very badly.

111569560.jpg

111569562.jpg

111569570.jpg

Nevertheless, we loved the suite. Tons of room, fantastic view, nice bathrooms, just loved it. A few points about the balcony – we did get some wind on some of the days even with the screens in place but it was still a very usable space. The open deck space above does look right down on it but we only had people up there a few times and they seemed to respect our privacy. All in all it’s a very nice place to hang out and, um, well, you know…

111569579.jpg

111569724.jpg

.....................Off topic a bit, but do you book thru Carnival itself or thru a TA? Anyone have TA recommendations...if that is allowed on this board??....

You will find all kinds of experiences but usually if you have found your way to Cruise Critic and are not afraid to explore, research and ask the right questions, you should be able to do fine with or without a TA. A good TA is worth their weight in gold but a bad one can drag you down. Yes, TA recommendations are not allowed here.

I know, I have a great DCL TA who has taken me thru my last 10 to 12 cruises...she's worth her weight in gold!!!

The deluxe penthouse sounds gorgeous, but not sure it's on any of the ships we're looking at right now, I'll have to check. Probably are only a couple and they go fast, right?

I don't have a problem with them being smaller, and I totally get that's one of the cheaper price reasons. I just need to be able to research which room or combo of rooms will fit us best. When you've been on one cruiseline forever, it's so overwhelming to research a new one. Everything, from type of cabins, locations, layouts...it's all completely new and out of your realm of understanding!!!

I'm getting there though...three days and I have it narrowed down to four ships and four itineraries, probably anytime dining, probably Conquest, and that I need more research on rooms and ship layout!! That's probably where I'm going to have to find a TA. Next search....

Archived