Juneau excursions - morning or afternoon?

60andhappy

We are in Juneau for a full day, in early Setember. I booked the Photo Safari by Land and Sea for 1:30, thinking any fog would have cleared. Our daughter lives on the west coast of Vancouver Island :) where morning tends to be foggy. We visit Mendenhall glacier and then go by boat into Stephens Passage. Would the 8AM trip be a better choice? We are from Ontario and this our first trip to Alaska.

You are correct in thinking you will have a better chance that the fog will have lifted by 130pm....but then again...there are those days where no one flys all day....tour operators that is.

Its not completely fool proof but I would say the later the better for sure.

I had a great morning photo tour in Juneau on May 13th, glorious sunshine all day, no sign of fog but I'm sure that can change day to day. In the afternoon the sun will be in a different direction change the photography angles. I'm sure whichever time you choose will be great. We saw black bears, porcupine, eagles, sea lions and whales. Well not just any whales but an orca pod that swam right under our boat! I had my long lens attached so they more than filled the frame. G.

I did not even think about fog when booking our excursions. All I thought about was the fact that I am up at the crack of dawn ever morning and would love to get a great start to the day. We will be going to a dog mushing camp in the morning and whale watching in the afternoon. Hopefully there will be no fog. Guess if there is, it is the people that make the memories right?

Archived