Purchase rug in Turkey?

Have any of you actually purchased a rug in Turkey ? Seems like everyone wants to avoid that stop at the rug factory...

Are they great quality, reasonably priced, and do they ship them home for you?

Have any of you actually purchased a rug in Turkey ? Seems like everyone wants to avoid that stop at the rug factory...

I have never priced them here at home so I am not sure if the price is good. They will deal with you and yes they send them home to you. They are very nice rugs. It was very interesting to see them but we did not have the extra money at that time to buy a Rug. So we just looked and learned a few things about the rugs.

We didnt want to avoid the rug factory. It included a very interesting demonstration of how they get the silk and how the girls are trained to weave the rugs.

That said.....I had to drag dh out of there before he bought one. They are gorgeous pieces of art. They have different types from Kilims to pure silk ones and of course the prices range depending on the type. He loves them but while I appreciate the work that goes into one (for a large rug it takes 7 months to complete) I don't really want one on my living room floor.

On our cruise I know there were some people who purchased some. One couple purchased 3 ! And yes they will usually include the shipping in the cost. I know that they took a picture of the rugs sold and gave to the couple so when their rugs arrived they could see they got the ones they picked out. It can be overwhelming when they are throwing rugs down right and left.

I would highly suggest that you educate yourself before buying a rug in Turkey. There are many styles of rug, machine made, woven, hand tufted, sculpted, cloth backed, rubber backed, unbacked, washed, top printed, dyed, Hand knotted, wool, nylon and silk to name a few and each style is made very differently and with different densities. Designs can be simple and also extremely complex. Hand Knotted Silk is usually the most expensive. Rugs can be a very big investment for your home and you should be sure that the size and style and color is right for your needs. Once you know what you are realy looking at, it will be easy to decide on your quality and price.

Check out a few library books and learn before you go, then enjoy watching the show while you evaluate the rugs you are shown on your trip.

Kathy (retired Decorator)

The stop at a carpet factory is very interesting in itself. I frankly don't understand why some people are so adamant about avoiding it. Somehow they are afraid the guide will get a commission?

The one we stopped at started with a demonstration of producing silk thread. We saw how the cocoons are treated and unwound, and the thread rolled up on bobbins. Then we saw the actual weaving going on, both in silk and in wool, and viewed the intricate patterns the weavers follow. We were offered the traditional tea and also some little snacks. So just that part was a very interesting tour and frankly I thoroughly recommend it.

Then -- my Dear Wife went shopping! We had planned to buy a carpet, and done some research at home before we went. The actual shopping experience is fun, whether or not you want to actually buy. First we got a chance to see some antique carpets and other work such as an elaborate headdress. Then they will bring in a couple of husky guys who will throw lots of carpets out on the floor in front of you. Just looking at the rugs is fun. If you are seriously buying (and they figure that out quick!) you can then settle down to the negotiating. My DW is of Italian heritage so this is her strong point! She had lots of fun with the guy, even going so far as to play the getting up and walking out trick! In turn he moaned that he was losing money on the sale and finally went in the back room to "check with his manager." After a lot of this we bought the rug for a reasonable price, and it was shipped home to us and arrived in a bit less than the promised six weeks.

All in all we thought it was a fascinating experience, and the wool carpet occupies the place of honor in our living room. Our friend bought a smaller slik carpet which is really a work of art and now hangs on her wall.

Whether or not you plan to buy, go to a carpet factory and have fun!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We were actually the opposite, owned several too expensive rugs and really wanted/planned/thought we were going to take a look and perhaps purchase one or two or three in Istanbul.

Unfortunantly a quick tour of the factory is fun and educational, to purchase a rug of say $,$$$ or $$,$$$ is serious business. I think if one has 2 to 3 hours it makes sense to go spent serious money and time. You likely do save serious money and get a selection second to none compared to the US for specific types of rugs. Unfortunatly we didn't have the time with all the things on the agenda ( Topkapia, Blue Mosque, St. Sophia, Bazaar ) ;)

If you planning on spending $$$ then worry not its nothing but a souvenior and a good conversation. You might get taken but its a souvenior go have fun shopping :D

Spend more then $$$, invest the time, I find it hard how you can do that smartly unless you are there overnight or forgo some sightseening to do properly.

The rugs are a work of art and they are expensive :eek:. Do you homework. The merchants love what they do and are anxious to show it off. When you have had enough.....politely thank them for their time and leave.

We were very satisfied with ABRASH, located a few blocks (on a side street) from the pier in Kushadisi. We bought a magnificent silk rug (after a very long negotiation, as is the custom). It was shipped to us and arrived perfectly.

Two years later we returned and bought another one.

They are a little off the beaten path and do their business by word of mouth, so they don't pounce!!

Address: Saglik Caddesi, No. 53.

Archived