Smoking

brian_uk

When putting together Private Tours, is it reasonable to ask if fellow passengers if they smoke.

We were once on a tour and several others smoked every time there was a stop and their clothes reeked of tobacco which truthfully we found objectionable.

I realise that on Ship Tours they are open to all but on private would you think it OK to say you only wanted to travel with NON SMOKERS.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask. When I organized a tour for 4 couples on our roll call, I talked to them by phone and offered the information that we are non-smokers...fortunately that led into them providing the same info.

I think it's helpful when putting out the offer of a group tour on your roll call, to give a bit of information about yourself. Saying that you are non smokers will likely attract non smokers. I like to include a bit more info ... such as age range (saying that we're celebrating a 30+ anniversary usually gives an indication of our age... ... or I'll just say that we are 'mid-50's'). If it's a tour that requires a fair bit of walking, or some challenging walking, I would include that information and let people know that you are hoping to find others who enjoy that level of activity.

I think others will appreciate the fact that you are trying to put together a cohesive group and you may get a better response to your offer because of it.

When putting together Private Tours, is it reasonable to ask if fellow passengers if they smoke.

We were once on a tour and several others smoked every time there was a stop and their clothes reeked of tobacco which truthfully we found objectionable.

I realise that on Ship Tours they are open to all but on private would you think it OK to say you only wanted to travel with NON SMOKERS.

Brian

I am with you Brian, when I start to do tours I always ask if people smoke..we are past smokers and cannot stand the smell in an enclosed car or van..

Jancruz1

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is perfectly reasonable and I think it is also perfectly reasonable to request non-smokers only. You might get an angry post or two-- but what is that compared to spending hours of your vacation cramped in a van with an odor/lingering chemicals that can make you feel unwell?

Perhaps I have a different opinion (as a "younger generation" cruiser raised in smoke-intolerant CA in the 80s) but as long as you aren't rude or obnoxious, you have a right to travel in comfort. Also, speaking as a cruise critic member, I have posted looking to share tours w/ non-smokers, and while occasionally I have not found anyone to share, I have never been criticized for saying things like "looking to share tour with other moderately active non-smokers."

Brian:

It's your tour and you are doing all the work organizing it so you can set the ground rules.

I organized a custom tour in Nicaragua from the Quest last March and there were 6 of us going who had signed on before the cruise. I was talking about the upcoming tour on the ship and a couple asked if they could join us which would make it less per couple for 8 instead of 6, and there was room for 2 more. I explained to the wife exactly what the tour involved, which was no shopping stops. At our first sightseeing stop I heard her talking to the guide and asking him to make a stop at a nearby street so she could shop. He said yes. As she walked away, I told the guide I was the one who hired him, this was my tour, and we were not spending our limited time in Nicaragua shopping for one person. I informed him that I was the "trip boss" and he was to listen to me and do what we originally planned and contracted for. So he then told the lady we didn't have time to deviate from the original plan so no shopping stop.

If people don't like your rules or what you have planned then they can not join your tour. be tough!

Susie

Susie, what a shame that somebody took it upon herself to try to rearrange your tour. I agree that the organizers should be firm about the plan and that no changes are allowed without the unanimous consent of all involved.

As for the non-smoking, we did have some smokers on one excursion and it really didn't bother us until one of them blew out his last lungful as he entered the van. It only happened once, and the vans themselves were all nonsmoking, as I recall. But if you're really sensitive to it, by all means put it out there. Happy organizing!:)

I really *really* hope I'm not about to start an inflammatory thread, to be clear I am only looking for observations and not judgments, but I would imagine that the majority of Azamara guests are non-smokers (or they would rather cruise on the Princess R ships or the other more smoke-friendly lines) and that therefore the majority of people you'd be arranging shore-exes with are also not smokers.

Has anybody who cruised on the Tahitian/Ocean/Royal/Pacific Princess and also the Azamara ships compare the % of smokers?

When we last cruised on the Coral Princess and Diamond Princess it seemed most smokers were to be found either in the Cigar Lounge or on the Promenade deck outside. However, I do appreciate this posting because it never occurred to me that smoking could be in an issue when we tour the Baltic in June of 2010 with Azamara. We are looking at several private tour companies, and never considered the issue of smoking should we choose to be in a group of 10 rather than just the two of us and a tour guide.

We are looking at several private tour companies, and never considered the issue of smoking should we choose to be in a group of 10 rather than just the two of us and a tour guide.

I think JennAngel9 made a good point re the majority of Azamara passengers being non-smokers ... there appeared to be very few on our Med cruise. It will increase your odds of finding non-smokers for private tours, but still wise to ask if it's important to you.

Archived