If oil goes to $70, at what point do they charge you?

cmlmich

And if the ship gets low on fuel before you return....then you can dump any "extra" you MIGHT have left into the gas tank to help the ship limp home! LMAO!!!!!

Indeed!!! I wouldn't mind that.... Now introducing the new Carnival Valor that runs on diesel fuel and Three Olives Grape..... Wonderul!!

Mach: Thanks for the reassurance. I will definitely use your advice as damage control this weekend when everyone is complaining about it. And yes I know it's not certain we won't get charged but "hopefully" won't.

No one at Carnival is currently willing to create a 'time line' for implementation of the supplement when/if crude goes above $70...

Is it a case of not willing or a case of not declaring so they can change to whatever they feel like when it happens? Not having a disclosed plan in place is bad Mach. Customers like to know. I suspect they have a plan - they are just choosing not to share right now.

Is it a case of not willing or a case of not declaring so they can change to whatever they feel like when it happens? Not having a disclosed plan in place is bad Mach. Customers like to know. I suspect they have a plan - they are just choosing not to share right now.

I can only pass along what I know.

As I mentioned early in this thread, or another on one same subject, the folks who I know in Miami are in entertainment or public affairs. When I ask a question out of their area of expertise they have to ask a question and get back to me.

We all KNOW that Carnival worded the note regarding the fuel supplement to remain as flexible as possible after what happened in the past.

Is not following RCCL's lead in declaring some sort of roll out for the fuel supplement dodgy? Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm sure that somewhere in the legions of Carnival employees there's a plan but the folks I know are not aware of it. I have no reason to doubt their honesty. I've said that before and I'll stand by it. I've been proven right in that regard every time.

It probably will be a case of who blinks first. Which cruiseline is willing to start charging first before the others jump onboard.

Dave

I can only pass along what I know.

As I mentioned early in this thread, or another on one same subject, the folks who I know in Miami are in entertainment or public affairs. When I ask a question out of their area of expertise they have to ask a question and get back to me.

We all KNOW that Carnival worded the note regarding the fuel supplement to remain as flexible as possible after what happened in the past.

Is not following RCCL's lead in declaring some sort of roll out for the fuel supplement dodgy? Perhaps, perhaps not.

I'm sure that somewhere in the legions of Carnival employees there's a plan but the folks I know are not aware of it. I have no reason to doubt their honesty. I've said that before and I'll stand by it. I've been proven right in that regard every time.

I wasn't suggesting you knew the answer - I'd be surprised if you did (no disrespect intended). My question was rhetorical.

A corporation the size of Carnival most certainly has a plan, but just like you said they choose not to share it right now. Given what happened last year and the benchmarks that are now Historic, what will they do? Will they choose to take it up $5/$7/$9 like before? How quickly will they put it on and what kind of convoluted formula will they come up with to take it off again? We'll all be waiting to see.

It probably will be a case of who blinks first. Which cruiseline is willing to start charging first before the others jump onboard.

Dave

RCCL has already blinked with a trigger price of $65/bbl. with the supplement to appear the following quarter...

For better or worse we know that RCCL will be charging the supplement soon...

RCCL has already blinked with a trigger price of $65/bbl. with the supplement to appear the following quarter...

For better or worse we know that RCCL will be charging the supplement soon...

Yes, with a date of June 14th, 2009, if oil is at $65 or higher on that one particular date, then the fuel is back on. (I went this morning to look for the date to refresh my memory). So, they will know within a couple of weeks for next qtr.

This is all I could find on it. Directly from the contract. Looks like we're good at $70 and not just $69.99! LOL...since the wording in the contract says "greater than $70/barrel"...I'm holding my breath!

"(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full."

Best of luck to you all.

Actually, I'm more bothered by the fact it's costing more to fill my tank again. I drive the car a whole lot more than I cruise. Not to mention the affect it eventually has on food prices and everything else. Yuck.

Best of luck to you all.

Actually, I'm more bothered by the fact it's costing more to fill my tank again. I drive the car a whole lot more than I cruise. Not to mention the affect it eventually has on food prices and everything else. Yuck.

I got a more economical car out of my Ike cruise, guess I can thank someone for that. I got a Nissan Versa, which goes about twice as far as my American made Saturn sedan with all the bells and whistles I had bought new. Probably lost some $$$ in the swap out, but I love the Versa everytime I fill up and it only costs half as much and I dont drive all that much.

Well, we might hit $70 tomorrow and find out if Carnival does anything right away.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/energyprices.html

looks like it lost a dollar today.

PRICE*CHANGE% CHANGETIME Nymex Crude Future67.73-.82-1.2010:23

I checked at 7 am on CNBC before the market even opened to see where oil futures were trading.

I paid off one cruise yesterday, turns out the other has to wait for Carnival to make a adjustment. My PVP says wouldnt protect me anyway making final payment early. Cant hurt either? Iv got my fingers crossed that oil keep backing off that $70 number, until after my Sept cruise.

Archived