Los Angeles - Universal City Hilton

taxmantoo

We are planning to stay 3 or 4 days in Los Angeles after our cruise in October. This will be our first time in LA so we will be doing a lot of the touristy things: Universal City, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Stars' homes tour, etc.

There is very little info on this forum about the Hilton Universal City. Would this be a good base from which to reach the major tourist sites? Has anyone stayed there recently and is the hotel in good shape? I know there are lots of restaurants at City Walk close to the hotel, but how far would the finer dining establishments be located?

We are planning to stay 3 or 4 days in Los Angeles after our cruise in October. This will be our first time in LA so we will be doing a lot of the touristy things: Universal City, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Stars' homes tour, etc.

There is very little info on this forum about the Hilton Universal City. Would this be a good base from which to reach the major tourist sites? Has anyone stayed there recently and is the hotel in good shape? I know there are lots of restaurants at City Walk close to the hotel, but how far would the finer dining establishments be located?

I think it's a fairly good base...

First major question is "Will you have a rental car?"

That would be the easiest way to get all over town from there...

But, yes, there is a lot in the immediate area--walking distance (Universal, CityWalk) or even using the Metro (Hollywood)...but cars are still the preferred mode...

I believe most of the sightseeing tour companies will do pick-ups at the Hilton Universal...

As to "finer dining establishments", they are all over the LA area...and it depends on your standards for "finer"...what sort of food are you looking for? Price range? There are some LA "institutions" not far from there...I have an old favorite right on Cahuenga across from Universal:

http://www.micelisrestaurant.com/

"Finer"? I'm not so sure I'd call it that...but fun, yes...and an old long-established eatery by LA terms...

Ventura Boulevard heading west into the valley has a lot of restaurants, as does Hollywood...

This one, in Hollywood, is another institution:

http://www.mussoandfrankgrill.com/

Of course, if you want the more famous LA restaurants, you can head into Beverly Hills for Spago:

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants/fine-dining/3635

...or many others...

Santa Monica has lots of fine dining...

CityWalk has a version of an LA classic, Gladstones...but, for the original, you need to head to the beach, at the end of Sunset Boulevard:

http://www.gladstones.com/

Somehow, the ambiance and feel are a little different eating your seafood and watching the waves crash on the beach below you...

There are other great, local, traditional restaurants all over LA...Dan Tana's in West Hollywood, border of Beverly Hills is another that comes to mind...

I am more into the less classy but more historical joints:

Canter's on Fairfax...

Phillippe's, Downtown--where the French Dip Sandwich was invented...

Manuel's El Tepeyac--the best Burrito in the world...but maybe a little scary as to location in the heart of the Barrio in East LA...

The Original Pantry in Downtown...

But, just tell us what you want to eat, how much you are willing to spend and what part of town you want to be in...and we'll have suggestions...

I would encourage you to eat at the local joints--stuff you won't find back home...

Thank you very much Steve. Great suggestions.

As far as food is concerned, we are open to anything. I am a certified sommelier and there isn't much food I haven't tried pairing a wine with ;). We enjoy Spago-type eateries as much as local joints serving Reuben sandwiches. We usually, when visiting a city, try both.

Thanks again!

It's a good hotel base. There isn't a lot of info on it in this forum, because I do most of the LA hotel reports - and that hotel doesn't fit most people's criteria.

They're usually looking for more budget friendly in the area.;)

In the meantime, it's a nice and fine hotel.

But, the major question...

Are you going to have a rental car? Or are you going to be relying on taxis/shuttles?:confused:

Here are links to some other places I mentioned

http://www.dantanasrestaurant.com/

This is an older Italian restaurant with that "got to be a mafia front" ambiance...Long time hangout of the old movie business crowd...

http://cantersdeli.com/

LA's best known Jewish Deli...Also very popular with show biz folks...movies, TV and Rock and Roll...I used to run into the late Frank Zappa here on a regular basis...especially during late night hours...and about 40 or 50 other famous people...

http://www.philippes.com/

It's across from Union Station (the main RR station) in Downtown LA...been there over 100 years now...it's a divey hole-in-the-wall with sawdust on the floor, order at the counter, sit on a hard bench...but it IS where the French Dip was invented...

http://www.pantrycafe.com/

Downtown, looks like a dive...but great food and large portions...Urban myth is that the waiters are all ex-cons...open 24 hours and has NEVER had a minute without at least one customer eating...owned by the former mayor of Los Angeles...

Some others I forgot in the Hollywood/Universal area:

http://www.yamashirorestaurant.com/

Here's a curious choice not far from your hotel:

http://www.vitellosrestaurant.com/

It's where Robert Blake and his late wife were dining one infamous night...

http://www.darmaghrebrestaurant.com/client/darmaghreb/index.html

Sit on the floor, eat with your fingers...

I'm sure others will have other suggestions...

There are a lot more nice and unique restaurants when you get out to the West Side (Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Malibu, et al)

Hi -- I've lived in L.A. my entire life -- (a very long time!) and could give you info about a great personalized tour that you would love, given your description of what interests you. Since I don't think I can give you my e-mail address here, however, I will simply refer you to some points of interest to look up on your PC and you can see if they appeal to you.

From what you say, unless you are bringing children/teens along I would not stay at Universal Hilton, though it is a fine place on a hill between Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley, adjacent to Universal and near the other studios in Burbank.

A different location could be better for most of what I think you want to see here, however. Pasadena is to the east via the 134 freeway and you might like it but I would not stay there. Old Town Pasadena is something you should look for on the web -- it surrounds Colorado Blvd. and has plenty of shopping and dining and old LA architecture. The Craftsman homes of Bungalow Heaven (look that up) are also nearby and worth a drive by. You could do Universal and Pasadena in one day.

If I were you I would rent a car at LAX and check out hotels in Beverly Hills or Santa Monica as your base. There's the fabulous boutique hotel Oceana in SM right on the bluff across the street from the palisades 'park,' and a cute boutique hotel right on Rodeo Dr in Bev Hills as well as the venerable Beverly Wilshire at Wilshire Blvd. and Rodeo Drive. The Beverly Hilton is on Wilshire just west of the big stores, Neiman-Marcus, Saks Fifth Ave and Barneys.

Also, there's a nice hotel very near the 405 freeway in Brentwood, on Sunset Blvd. It used to be the Bel Air Sands but has changed names and I think it's a Loews or something else now. It's well located also. I'm sure you could find it by doing a hotel search of that area.

(You will most definitely need that rental car and believe it or not LA drivers are pretty polite compared to those in NY, Boston, et al.)

Get a good freeway map and detailed Central/Westside L.A. map and plan out and highlight where you will go and you will be fine. If you want to see Hollywood and downtown LA, take a Gray Line Bus Tour -- it will get you to Olvera Street, Chinatown, etc. I would not bother driving down there if I were you.

Malibu sounds like a good bet for you so look up MALIBU COUNTRY MART on the web, at Cross Creek Road and Pacific Coast Highway. You can access that in town from Sunset Blvd. or north from Ocean Ave in Santa Monica and just keep driving along the ocean. You may well see a celebrity or two in Malibu but keep your eyes peeled -- they are not always super obvious. Along the way you will drive through the beautiful town of Pacific Palisades.

Also look up THIRD STREET PROMENADE, SANTA MONICA and perhaps Venice Beach, just south, for the funkier side of things.

For higher end boutique shopping and lovely homes nearby, visit Montana Ave in Santa Monica. Possibly there is something about it on the web, not sure. It's south of Sunset Blvd. and North of Wilshire and not far from the aforementioned Oceana Hotel. OH, there's also a Fairmont Hotel right there in SM as well as other high and medium priced hotels/motels.

Then there's Farmer's Market and The Grove on Fairfax near 6th St., I believe. You will definitely find that on the internet and though The Grove is new and beautiful and looks like Main Street Disneyland, you may enjoy the old historic Farmer's Market more and they are right there together. A huge parking lot is there too.

Need more? I don't think there's anything wrong with Universal Hilton but it means a lot more driving for you if you want to spend more time on the 'west side.'

Let me know if I can be of further help!

WOW ... You guys are great but you sure are making my life difficult trying to chose between all these great choices! Oh well, planning is half the fun, isn't it?

We did not plan on renting a car? We do not lke to drive in unknown cities and play tourist at the same time, one of us holding on to a map while the other holds on to the steering. I think we will leave the driving to other people and go where they bring us.

Thanks again.

We did not plan on renting a car? We do not lke to drive in unknown cities and play tourist at the same time, one of us holding on to a map while the other holds on to the steering. I think we will leave the driving to other people and go where they bring us.

Thanks again.

Well, see you don't want to rent a car - and if you choose your hotel wisely you don't have to, so if you aren't comfortable with it - don't do it.

Universal is a great base for no car.

You want to see most of the things that are quite close to that area anyway, so it's easy.

From there, it's obviously easy to do a great day at Universal and Universal City Walk.

Then on another day, the best tour in Los Angeles is here:

http://www.redlinetours.com

Take the Movie Star Experience on a weekday, when Sony Studios is open so you can get that part of the tour.

You've also got one stop on the Metro Red Line to get to Hollywood and Highland for all the sights, restaurants and shopping there...

(Musso & Franks)

It's also easy to get right down Sunset Blvd to the beach for Gladstone's.

If you are not 100% on Universal Hilton, then my other two places are are really easy to do what you need with no car are:

Best Western Sunset Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=917446

Beautiful Sunset/Beverly Hills location, tons around, and easy easy to get to everything I said above (just from a different direction).

This will have a lot more high end restaurants and shopping close by in walking distance or easy cab.

Another one for more of a splurge would be Renaissance Hollywood Hotel & Spa:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxrh-renaissance-hollywood-hotel-and-spa/

It's all a good home base area (all three hotels) with slightly different ease of things around each.

You don't need that rental car. You can do it all from these.;)

WOW ... You guys are great but you sure are making my life difficult trying to chose between all these great choices! Oh well, planning is half the fun, isn't it?

Thanks again.

We live in San Diego and stayed at the Hilton. Our transporation was the redline from amtrak. What a great way to get around to the tourist sights. The people we met at the station were very helpful in making sure we were going in the right direction.

The only problem we ran into was having to walk up the huge hill pulling luggage behind us. Next time we will take a cab from the bottom of the hill instead of walking. There is a shuttle from the hilton that takes you to Universal Studios and City Walk.

We are doing this again in July and will look at the suggestions from the past posters.

Archived