swimming in the swimming pool

These may be crazy questions but will I actually be able to swim in the swimming pool or is it just full of people standing about chatting? Is it long enough to get a decent swim? Is it salt water?

Leaving on Voyager of the seas shortly, starting to pack and just trying to decide whether to take my swimming goggles!

Thanks

Depending on the weather I would say outside pool might have more chatters while the inside solarium pool i have seen mostly used by swimmers... neither pool is gigantic so not sure how much fun lap swiming would be in them but possible :)

Funny question, we never made it to the pool all week! This being our first cruise I was surprised how small the pools were, I wasn't expecting olympic size but they wern't real big. I don't think you can do any laps during the day, too many people, and even if empty they would be short laps!

I read somewhere that the pools were filled each day with fresh sea water. Is this true? I don't really like the idea of sea water in a pool!!

Also, does anyone know what the pool's hours are on Brilliance?

Pool is to deep for most to stand in so edges a crowded.

I am not sure which ship it was but one pool had jets in in it so you could swim in one spot. I think it was the Voyageur class ship as the pools had been side by side.

I read somewhere that the pools were filled each day with fresh sea water. Is this true? I don't really like the idea of sea water in a pool!!

Also, does anyone know what the pool's hours are on Brilliance?

If I'm not mistaken, all the pools are saltwater EXCEPT Freedom class and Oasis. And there is always a pool open - even if they are being cleaned, they leave one of them accessible. Same with whirlpools.

I can't answer if they are filled every day with new water.

I will also say that the pools are too small to actually swim for any exercise.

I want to get my 2 cents in regarding the salt water pools. In reality salt water is much better for you than chlorinated water. the salt is a natural disinfectant and the minerals are very good for your skin. Chlorine is a nasty piece of work that humans should avoid at all costs.

I am wondering if everyone who disses the salt water pools also never gets into the ocean.

I will also say that the pools are too small to actually swim for any exercise.

I want to get my 2 cents in regarding the salt water pools. In reality salt water is much better for you than chlorinated water. the salt is a natural disinfectant and the minerals are very good for your skin. Chlorine is a nasty piece of work that humans should avoid at all costs.

I am wondering if everyone who disses the salt water pools also never gets into the ocean.

True. The health club I belong to has a olympic size indoor pool. State of the art saltwater. No chlorine!

My health club is the same way, everything is salt. We have an indoor lap pool, an indoor fun pool indoor hot tubs, and an outdoor fun pool. All are salt water.

Apparently it's MUCH easier to keep everything in balance then fresh water pools. It's also not nearly as salty as the ocean.

It's amazing how many people don't know the pools are salt water. They jump in and get the shock of their life! :eek:

I wonder if they are just as surprised when they go to the beach at the Caribbean islands their ship visits and find that the water there (the ocean) is also salt water. Frankly I find the salt water pools on most cruise ships far less objectionable than overly chlorinated fresh water pools that I have encountered in hotels and other land-based locations. You could find those pools blindfolded just by following your nose.:rolleyes:

I have a pool in my yard - it's chlorinated. I understand that it's a chemical and not necessarily good for the skin, but it is clean. Salt water, although natural is just not comfortable to me. And no, I do not tend to swim in the ocean.

Also for those who posted about club pools with salt water, they use a special additive instead of chlorine called bacquafil (sp?) - that is salt-based but does not have the taste and smell of actual sea water.

More residential pools are going with salt vs chlorine. We had the option to go with salt when we installed ours several years ago. I wish we had - boy is it a pain getting the mix right in the spring.

I have a pool in my yard - it's chlorinated. I understand that it's a chemical and not necessarily good for the skin, but it is clean. Salt water, although natural is just not comfortable to me. And no, I do not tend to swim in the ocean.

Also for those who posted about club pools with salt water, they use a special additive instead of chlorine called bacquafil (sp?) - that is salt-based but does not have the taste and smell of actual sea water.

In this case you are most likely wrong. There is a big push for Salt Water Cholination Systems. My Neighbor just converted their pool. They use the same filter but they and a device that turns the salt in the water into a natural form of Chlorine. They dumped a few bags of salt in the pool and ran the filter for 24 hr's and then ran the Salt Water device for about 6 hours and they where ready to go. The water has a mild taste of salt but not nearly as much as the Cruise Ship Pools.

Hmmm....I stand corrected. Must be something new.

I really hope that the Brilliance pool is not salt water...my daughter has extremely sensitive skin and salt water actually hurts her...always has (she'e 20).

You know, I've always wondered why they keep building these gargantuan ships with all the bells and whistles (and now indoor parks!), but they can't make the pools bigger. It doesn't have to be Olympic-size or anything. Just long enough to get some decent laps in.

I read somewhere that the pools were filled each day with fresh sea water. Is this true? I don't really like the idea of sea water in a pool!! ....

Here's a question to your question. Where would they get fresh water to be in the pool? As you can tell I am not a swimmer.

Once when on the Mariner, every afternoon a "swimmer" showed up with goggles and proceeded to do her laps with the splashing chasing everyone else out of the pool. Totally disregarded everyone else already in the pool.:mad:

They actually make fresh water on the ship constantly either through reverse osmosis or flash evaporator..

Archived