So I'm sitting here, eating an orange...

*CruiseFan*

...while reading CC and 1) getting excited about my cruise in 30 days, and 2) thinking about how I wish it were Friday.

Anyhow, as I was eating the orange (there is a point), it got me thinking about cruising and the exotic fruits and dishes you can try that you might not otherwise try. So, what's the craziest fruit or dish you've ever tried on a cruise? Was it actually good?

Having worked in restaurants and being familiar with all types of food, I looked forward to having them on my previous cruise.....let's face it....not something you pick up every day at the local grocery store. My children, however, had never tried them. On the trip to the port we were conversing and of course the topic of food came up......especially the "snails". When dinner time came around ( we had already agreed that all of us would have to at least "try" dishes that we had never had / or were prepared differently) all of us ordered the escargot. Needless to say, and with much hesitation (lol) all of the kids tried them and they loved them so much, a second round was ordered !!

But the Fruit Cake cupcake is a freakin' abomination.

Just the name of it is an abomination!

I tried caviar, and let me tell you, it was not good in my opinion. I tried it on RCCL the first time, and Carnival the second, and I'll tell you -- no matter the cruise line, it's still friggin' nasty.

Beef Wellington is Goose Liver????:eek:

Beef wellington is a preparation of beef tenderloin coated with goose liver and wrapped in a puff pastry and baked. Or something to that effect.:)

beef wellington is generally beef covered in pate (generally goose liver) then enrobed in pastry...

i wonder if any ships use like a mushroom pate instead??? Hmmm.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!! Give me a burger anyday

I've tried lamb but didn't like it - I didn't like the taste plus didn't like the fact that I was eating a baby lamb/sheep - whatever! LOL!!!!

This just isn't right. Makes me think of DD watching Baa Baa Black sheep :eek:

Just the name of it is an abomination!

I tried caviar, and let me tell you, it was not good in my opinion. I tried it on RCCL the first time, and Carnival the second, and I'll tell you -- no matter the cruise line, it's still friggin' nasty.

Totally agree. Tried it three times in various venues (twice on cruise ships) thinking maybe it will be better next time. Never was. HATE it.

I thought you were going to say you were sitting there, eating an orange, and contemplating how you could save a chair with it to get in practice.

u beat me to it!....gues the orange is stale/rotton..etc, by now???? tx for remembering

It too like the opportunity to try things I normally wouldn't, especially if I have to pay for them!

I've tried oxtail soup, snails, and frog legs on cruises. Can't say I liked any of them, but enjoyed the experience. Wondering what awaits me on my upcoming Carnival cruise.

...while reading CC and 1) getting excited about my cruise in 30 days, and 2) thinking about how I wish it were Friday.

Anyhow, as I was eating the orange (there is a point), it got me thinking about cruising and the exotic fruits and dishes you can try that you might not otherwise try. So, what's the craziest fruit or dish you've ever tried on a cruise? Was it actually good?

Orange you glad that it's Friday now??!!;)

Really, there was soo much exotic fruit on Freedom....especially in regard to display. Unfortunately, being boring fruitwise, we ate bananas, apples & pears....Oh, and the warm chocolate melting cake.

Also had escargot...loved it!!

Had one of my daughters try it and she loved it as well. The other daughter said "Uh, I don't think so Dad"....funny!

Veal is baby cow - kept in a 4 by 4 pen so it can't run around and build muscle.

I know nancy...it is cruel. And if you like to eat steak, veal, chicken..etc...even fish...it's not good to think about how the food got there. It's all cruel. However, some feel that these wonderful beasts were placed here for our consumption.

Guess that's why vegans exist....and eating disorders as well.

Archived