How good of a swimmer do you need to be to snorkel?

sppunk

You need to feel comfortable in the water. You can wear a lifejacket so you don't need to worry about not being a strong swimmer. I love to swim, but it is always a bit strangle swimming with snorkling gear. The fins will push you though the water.... (you don't use a regular flutter kick but rather big gental strokes)

you don't have to use your arms other than setting the direction you want to go in. Keeping your face in the water and breathing using a tube is tough for my husband. I'd suggest that you ask some friends if they have some equipment or buy a cheap set at walmart and go to a local hotel or university and see if you can try it out.

I just swim on top of the water and don't dive down. Just remember to put on sun block your back and back of your legs. My first snorkle adventure was great until acouple hours later I realized that the bottom of my swimsuit had crawled up got a bad sunburn on my bootie LOL I have a terrible fight back home the next day having to sit for hours!

As long as you are not terrified of the water you will have a blast. The guides usually know who to watch (the weaker swimmers), and with a life jacket your fine. Take an underwater disposable camera with you, the pictures are surprisingly good!

Gary

HI , I too am somewhat of a weak swimmer, and am 59 yrs of age, so by no means a risk taker. But I tried snorkeling about 5 years ago and LOVE it. I use the life vest and don't dive down but just below the water. It is a lot of fun and we are always with a group and have tour guides keeping an eye on everyone , so I do ok. I hope you give it a try , I think you will have a great time.

Cori

hI, I am disabled (MS). I tire easily so I am not a good swimmer anymore. I love snokling as you can just float near the boat and still see a lot. On one cruise when the guy asked why I used canes, I told him and they put the red circle thing in the water for me to hold on to while I floated. They pulled me back to the ship when I wanted them to, it was great.

As others have explained, you don't have to be a great swimmer. You will be issued a life vest / floation device -- use it. With it you can bob around, put your head in & look at everything. If you can kick a little to propel yourself, you'll be fine. Stick close to others, don't stray too far from the boat & don't have any coctails before you snorkel.

Enjoy!

I think this depends if you are on your own from shore, or with a shore excursion. I have only done it from shore, and I think that you have to be somewhat comfortable with the ocean; especially currents, remembering where you started from, careful not to get to fatigued or go too far out, etc It seems like it is different on an actual excursion; it may be a little more "controlled" so to speak.

You don't have to know how to swim at all to snorkle! Most vests have a tube so you can put as much air in the vest as you want. My husband puts a lot, I put none. I have also seen snorklers with a life ring or noodle to hold on to while they just have their mask in the water watching the fasinating sealife! The ship should have a "how to" class before the 1st snorkle. Go to that and tell the dive master if you're nervous! You'll LOVE snorkling! Enjoy and .......Smile............Bonnie..........

I'll chime in with strong encouragement, its a whole new world underater and snorkeling has little to do with swimming.

What is does have to do with, is comfort. I suggest grabbing a mask from your local sporting goos store (something more than the $5 round version for kids) and jump in a swimming pool. Get used to breathing thru you mouth and allowing you body to RELAX and look down.

Now the good news, is that you will be much more bouyant in saltwater than a pool and you will have a life jacket.

Do NOT wear youself out. Those frustrated by snorkeling, are always stopping to take off their mask or try to fast to swim over to another area. Go slow. Go with a buddy. Choose a shore-based trip versus open water, for your first trip when possible.

Archived