No more free room service???

Seating for one thing. On our last cruise it was next to impossible to get seats in the buffet area for breakfast. Breakfast table hogs! People would just sit there with nothing on their table (having finished eating) and there would be all these other people with trays searching earnestly for a place to sit and eat their breakfast. It was a nightmare. We had an interior cabin and had to take our breakfast back to our tiny cabin to eat simply because there was nowhere to sit. Now, I will say this, it was a Princess ship, but I've also seen it on RCCL ships, too, just nowhere near as bad.

Theresa

This is very familiar for an Alaska trip - it always irked us when people would sit in the buffet to see the sites leaving people who needed to eat no place to sit.

My kids loved getting danish and hot chocolate in the morning when they got up. That way we did not hear the when can "When are we going up for breakfast?" whine. We had dollars in the room for the tip and they would give the waiter /waitress $2. We had connecting rooms so they would have a snack and we could sleep in . Vacation for all. :rolleyes:

Tipping is not recommended. It states clearly on your room service menu "gratuity is at your discretion" which leaves it to the individual to decide.

I kinda feel guilty letting someone schlepp a tray of food and utensils from who knows how far on the ship, and NOT give them a tip. Just my opinion.

I kinda feel guilty letting someone schlepp a tray of food and utensils from who knows how far on the ship, and NOT give them a tip. Just my opinion.

Peggy - I wouldn't worry much about it. That is the m/o for the poster. Just put stuff out there to get an argument started. :(

Peggy - I wouldn't worry much about it. That is the m/o for the poster. Just put stuff out there to get an argument started. :(

Well then, I definitely won't argue with him!!

I like the cheese tray before dinner idea...........I think we'll try that on our next cruise.

I've always wondered why do people order room service? In 5 cruises we've never ordered room service but we've also only had a balcony once. I've been thinking about trying it for on the Oasis but what makes it better than going up to the Windjammer?

I'll tell ya, we used RS a lot more than I thought we would on our last cruise. It was great for coffee and danishes/fruit on the balcony in the morning and if you have the late seating at dinner, sometimes it's nice to have a snack around 5 or 6 like chicken wings or veggies and dip while you are relaxing or getting ready for the evening.

Will they bring you a Coke in the morning? We will be getting 2 soda mugs, so how would that work? (Gotta have my caffeinated Coke in the morning!)

Renee

There are cans of soda in your cabin's 'refrigerator'. (you will pay $2.24 per can, unless the price has gone up recently)

You can only use your soda card at places that have "the gun" - fountain sodas.

There are cans of soda in your cabin's 'refrigerator'. (you will pay $2.24 per can, unless the price has gone up recently)

You can only use your soda card at places that have "the gun" - fountain sodas.

Merion, can we ask to have that stuff removed and how do we make sure we don't get charged for it having it removed.

Coffee...every morning...it's wonderful!! Have only used it for late night a few times..always tip though and will if we use it again after midnight. I don't think the whole $3.95 is going for tip anyway....just my opinion..

Tipping is not recommended. It states clearly on your room service menu "gratuity is at your discretion" which leaves it to the individual to decide.

Tipping is always at ones discretion.

Some people know when to tip and what for....others are clueless or simply stiff everyone.

We've only used room service 2 or 3 times - once when I wasn't feeling well and my DH went to dinner in the MDR at the regular time, told our waiter I was sick, and the next thing I knew, a full meal was delivered to my cabin, complete with dessert! I think I tipped $5 - I'm almost ashamed of myself. We tried room service for breakfast a couple of times and while the coffee is always a hit, the bacon/eggs is pretty "yucky" -- if you want that, get up, get dressed and go to the Windjammer or the main dining room! Now the suggestions for appetizers before dinner is something I may try on our next cruise!:D

Merion, can we ask to have that stuff removed and how do we make sure we don't get charged for it having it removed.

Not Carol, but yes, you can have it removed... we always do so that we can use the cooler for the few water & sodas we bring on board. They've always left the candy in there because it could melt otherwise. They've generally put all the drinks in a pillowcase and stowed it under the bed... we haven't ever had a charge...

warning though: on my Jan 22 Navigator of the Seas cruise (Owners Suite on the hump!), our cabin steward told us that soon, a service fee would apply to all room service orders. He said exactly "it's coming soon". Now, "soon" could mean this fall, next year, who knows.

The only that bothers me about things like the nightime room service charge is that it's one thing after another. Seems like as soon as they can think of a way to put a charge on something, they will.

Although we still will cruise, it's disappointing in a way to know that the best years of the whole cruise experience seem to be behind us, IMO.

I've always wondered why do people order room service? In 5 cruises we've never ordered room service but we've also only had a balcony once. I've been thinking about trying it for on the Oasis but what makes it better than going up to the Windjammer?

Windjammer is not always open and its worth the $2 tip not to schlep the food through the ship.

Sitting on your balcony having room service deliver the cheese/fruit platter with the cookie of the day and watching the world go by doesn't get any better.

Denise

Um, my last cabin mate ordered room service (breakfast) for us because, well, I had too many woo woo's the night before and she thought I would need something in the morning to recover..lol..before we hit the port..boy she was right! That morning I was SOO happy that she had done this, it was nice to eat some toast and cereal..it got me going after a hard night of woo woo's..lol..:)

Not Carol, but yes, you can have it removed... we always do so that we can use the cooler for the few water & sodas we bring on board. They've always left the candy in there because it could melt otherwise. They've generally put all the drinks in a pillowcase and stowed it under the bed... we haven't ever had a charge...

Ellen, I had never heard of anyone sticking the stuff THERE. Ours always go on a top shelf, or on the top of the whole piece of furniture.

Under the bed in a pillowcase, eh?

:)

Archived