Flying with wedding dress/suits

I would suggest carrying your dress on as a carry on. Sometimes they will hang it for you. Also heard to ask to be seated early (when they do the seating for those with children or require assistance) this way if they don't hang it up you can put it in the overhead bin and lie it down. There was a story not too long ago on this site and others that a bride's dress was stolen from her luggage and that would awful for anyone. I know I personally wouldn't take the change not on my wedding gown for sure.

British Airways' official policy allows you to carry on board one standard-sized bag (which they define as no more than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm or 22ins x 18ins x 10ins, including the handle, pockets and wheels) and one laptop-sized bag, handbag or briefcase. Be aware that your wedding gown will count as your main carry on, and you'll only be allowed one other small piece of hand luggage.

The airline does not make special accomodations because your carry on happens to be your wedding gown. That being said, do ask if you can pre-board -- which will make it easier to find overhead or closet space for your gown. They may or may not allow you to hang the gown in a first/business class closet, but it can't hurt to ask. The flight attendants are generally as helpful in finding space to stow your gown. Smile and be as nice as you can.

In my case, I was unable to preboard (totally full flight) and by the time I did get on board the overhead space was crammed full of luggage and heavy winter coats. Zero chance of finding a spot to lay the gown flat. But the flight attendant was able to find space in what I believe was a crew closet.

• 2 weeks later...

To all brides traveling with their wedding dress....definitely do everything possible to carry on your dress, but have a plan in case this is not possible. There are times that the plane does not have an overhead bin that will accommodate a dress bag or rollerboard suitcase (these planes also do not have closets). Airlines are using regional jets more and more which could put you in the position to have to gate check your bag.

If you are putting your dress in the overhead bin (even if you have it in a suitcase) make sure to visually check the overhead bins (spilled liquids, dirt, etc.).

Archived