Meal question

Readytogo

On other lines I have been able to order from the dining room menu through room service during regular dining hours. Is this possible on Princess?
No. :( Room service on Princess has a few options but it's not the breakfast, lunch or dinner menu.

On other lines I have been able to order from the dining room menu through room service during regular dining hours. Is this possible on Princess?

I have wondered why Princess does not provide this option given that room service is probably using the same kitchen.:confused:

It has been nice on other lines to order the DR menu on the balcony.

Only full suites (minis not included) are able to order from the main diningroom menu during meal times. Any stateroom below a full suite has a small room service menu that consists of mainly sandwiches, salads and a few desserts, that's it. :(

I have wondered why Princess does not provide this option given that room service is probably using the same kitchen.:confused:

It has been nice on other lines to order the DR menu on the balcony.

They used to have this option for all category staterooms. It stopped right around the time (actually, just before) they began the ultimate balcony breakfast, and ultimate balcony dinner.

Personally, I would love it if they just had a full breakfast option, especially on port days. It would cut down on the over crowding at the buffet with everyone trying to get through breakfast and get into port. It is one of the only things I don't like about Princess. It costs me a ton for a full suite, as DH likes not to have to fight the crowds on port days, and he really enjoys his hearty breakfast before taking off for the day.

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies. My wife wants to avoid the main dining room on our next cruise and loved the room service option on other lines we have sailed. This trip is just me and my 17 y/o son. He will miss the midnight steak dinners in the room but I am fully confident he will not starve!

They used to have this option for all category staterooms. It stopped right around the time (actually, just before) they began the ultimate balcony breakfast, and ultimate balcony dinner.

Thanks Toto.

I had not thought about the connection to Ultimate Balcony Dining - like you I wish they would offer it as an option for all staterooms

Personally, I would love it if they just had a full breakfast option, especially on port days. It would cut down on the over crowding at the buffet with everyone trying to get through breakfast and get into port. It is one of the only things I don't like about Princess. It costs me a ton for a full suite, as DH likes not to have to fight the crowds on port days, and he really enjoys his hearty breakfast before taking off for the day.

Toto, you should go post this thought over on the "Princess is watching" post! Maybe they would listen!

One of the things my husband loved on the QE2 was being able to order anything from the kitchen at anytime, through room service.

On port intensive tours, I think it would be great if they could offer a full breakfast room service menu. It doesn't cost them any more money to do so as they are serving that money in the dining room anyway... it just means they might need to redistribute some of their wait-staff to room service duty!

On our upcoming Baltic Cruise it would be really handy to be able to get breakfast delivered to our stateroom at 5am before going into St Petersburg, etc!

One of the many 'main' complaints I read all of the time on the CC board is that passengers find the HC so congested in the AM, especially on port days. It would just make sense to me to offer a full room service breakfast to cut down on the congestion. I don't know of many that order the Ultimate balcony breakfast on port days anyway.

BUT, think how confusing that would be? You can order a full breakfast on port days, but not on sea days. It would just lead to confusion all the more and angry passengers.

This Ultimate Balcony Breakfast they sell sure did put a damper on cutting down the congestion in the HC, and made it all the worse. :( I know we have noticed in the last few years since they stopped the full room service menu that the public dining, especially the buffet, has become even more congested in the AM. They cut off their nose to spite their own face to make that little extra occasionally selling those Ultimate Breakfasts. IMHO!

No. :( Room service on Princess has a few options but it's not the breakfast, lunch or dinner menu.

This is not entirely accurate. Last week on the Diamond Princess, I called down at 9:40pm and asked if it was possible to get the Raspberry Creme Brulee that was on the dinner menu that night for room service and they gladly sent us 2...even though the dining room was almost closed. Maybe it varies by ship or who's working? They sent it up, no questions asked.

Julie

This is not entirely accurate. Last week on the Diamond Princess, I called down at 9:40pm and asked if it was possible to get the Raspberry Creme Brulee that was on the dinner menu that night for room service and they gladly sent us 2...even though the dining room was almost closed. Maybe it varies by ship or who's working? They sent it up, no questions asked.

Julie

Occasionally, passengers can call and get an item or two not listed on the menu. But this doesn't always happen, in fact, anymore, it's very rare. You got lucky! :D

Occasionally, passengers can call and get an item or two not listed on the menu. But this doesn't always happen, in fact, anymore, it's very rare. You got lucky! :D

Yeah, I considered us lucky that night! We had a mini suite. We probably just got a nice guy in a good mood. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though, right? Just don't plan on it..but it never hurts to ask. :)

Is it possible it's one of those things like lunch on embarkation day? They will tell you there is no dining room open, but in fact there is supposed to be one? They just don't advertise the room service? Has anyone else actually been denied a dining room item for room service if they asked?

Just shower the person on the other end of the phone with sweetness and be sure to tip the delivery person!

Aaaah...we're back to reality here in New Hampshire. No more room service, no more all inclusive 5 course meals. No more souflee'. Shoot..gotta go play taxi mom for the day and take the kids to McDonalds... LOL

That is the very BEST attitude to have. It NEVER hurts to ask, but don't be disappointed if the answer is no. ;)

McDonalds? OMG, from full cruise ship menu to McDonalds, I think I am feeling depressed. ROFL

But think of how great it feels to go the other way - from Taxi Mom to cruise passenger.

One of the many 'main' complaints I read all of the time on the CC board is that passengers find the HC so congested in the AM, especially on port days. It would just make sense to me to offer a full room service breakfast to cut down on the congestion. I don't know of many that order the Ultimate balcony breakfast on port days anyway.

BUT, think how confusing that would be? You can order a full breakfast on port days, but not on sea days. It would just lead to confusion all the more and angry passengers.

This Ultimate Balcony Breakfast they sell sure did put a damper on cutting down the congestion in the HC, and made it all the worse. :( I know we have noticed in the last few years since they stopped the full room service menu that the public dining, especially the buffet, has become even more congested in the AM. They cut off their nose to spite their own face to make that little extra occasionally selling those Ultimate Breakfasts. IMHO!

Yeah, I think they should dump the Ultimate Balcony breakfast, and just allow anyone to order full room service breakfast. Maybe except for the day of disembarkation, when they're probably so busy they can't spare the staff to deliver so many breakfasts... but even then, maybe it's do-able.

It would be so much better... and hey, from other threads I've read, it might also cut down on Norovirus and other things without so many people quickly converging on the buffet room!

That is highly unusual so it's best to say that it's not available. Normally, they'll say, "The room service menu is in the cabin; order from there." On port days, I don't have to have a big, hot breakfast and have found that if I order cereal, English muffin, and tea, that's more than enough. And, I've had some delicious dinners through the room service menu, i.e., soup and a chef's salad or something like that.

Archived