Staying in NY

Tunagold

Anyone have any advice on how to book a room in NY using priceline? We were very successfull using priceline for our Florida pre-cruise stayover, but now we want to try a Saturday night in NY...preferably Manhatten. Any advice at all??

Thanks to both of you. I did try to reach Burbunny before posting on here...I knew she had a website, but it deals mostly with port hotels, and has been of great help to me in the past! I was specifically interested in NY for this one. We want to go and spend the night this weekend and we were not sure what areas to bid and what prices people tend to find that are accepted. I think my wife bid $80 to start and the response we got back showed rates in the mid $200's to the $500s...so maybe we have to expect to pay more this time of year. It would be great to get down there and see the lights and skate at Rockefeller center...it is something I have wanted to do for years. But maybe next year! (Red Sox fans have been saying that for 86 years! And their dreams finally came true, so there IS hope!)

So funny! As someone who grew up in the Boston area... what a great year!!!

I live about 3-4 hours from the big apple now, and we've never gotten away with less than about $200/night, especially at this time of year. You really don't want to stay anywhere that's not TOTALLY respectable so you're pretty much stuck. We actually decided on a trip to San Fancisco over NYC (to spend time w/my brother) because we could do it for less, including airfare!!

I go to NYC frequently including tomorrow for the rest of the week. With Priceline- you probably are going to want midtown west, the midtown east locations first. Be aware a good portion of priceline awards are single bed rooms, so if you need two beds this isn't a good option. Looking for a bargain- I stay between Days Inn, Hojo, or Super 8, all midtown, but I also book in advance- paying $111 at the Hojo tomorrow. BUT most any location is an easy cab ride to the port, so at this point be flexable with priceline and go with what gets you the bargain.

If you want a decent sized hotel room you are going to have to pay $200 and up. Most of the hotels below that number have incredibly small rooms.

Edited to say......

Try Travelocity, Expedia and HotelsDiscounts.com. Then go to the individual hotels websites and see if you can match the price. Most times you can without prepaying for the room.

I had the sme problem. We ended up staying in New Jersey. Sheraton on the Hudson. Great view of the New York lights every night. Cost was $90.00 for a Suite. The ferry ride is @10 minutes and is $6.00, The ferry is right at the end of the Hotel. Go to Sheraton.com. Great experience, we stayed there for 5 nights in Sept.

CricketDog

Myself, I never stay in Jersey. I do plenty of pm activities and don't want the hassel of returning back to Jersey after a late night. It is far more convenient to stay in Manhatten if that is where your activities are. The ferry is even more undesirable in cold weather, when are you going?

Last fall we bid on priceline - it was our first time in NYC and we got the Hilton at 1335 Ave of the Americas (6th and 54th or so)for less than $120 and that included all the taxes which are high in NYC (11 or 14 % if I remember correctly) - we stayed 4 nights. It was wonderful and the best location for all the touristy things we wanted to do. After our trip I asked my hubby where he would want to stay next time we went to NYC and he said at the same place - it was convenient to everything for us - including the port at theat time. I don't know if the new port has opened there yet or not. I realize that the rates are higher since it's the holidays and I was a little leary about what we would get that's why I wanted a higher star hotel. I think I bid on a 3 star and got a 4 star when they accepted my bid. (The stars aren't the same scale as AAA) The year before my girlfriend bid and got the Sheraton at Times Square for $85. If you are willing to gamble, you can save some $ with bidding. Also, remember that there is a set fee for the booking ($10?) Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were hoping to get there this Saturday night (18 Dec), but it appears our plans have changed. We wanted to get in and see the lights and skate at Rockefeller Center. We were planning to take the train in early on Saturday and stay over so we could experience the night activity and not have to worry about a hotel outside the city. But I think it will have to wait another year at this point. Thanks again for all the advice!! I love this board. The people here are so helpfull! Have a great holiday everyone!

Archived