Corfu....guided tour.

cjf

Hi Folks,

We will be in Coru on July 7 with 8 people. We have advice from the forum on renting a minivan for 100 euro. We'd rather have a driver (I'm a little scared driving in Greece). The one site I found cost 400 euro for 4 hours. Any other ideas?

We used Dimitris of corfutaxitours.com in 2006 and we have him booked again this October. Great guide, very reasonable, you will be very happy.

I just contacted him for a group larger than 4 but he'd had to accomodate you in two cabs...I could be wrong but I dont think they have anything larger than a 4 seater. he charges per hour so you'd have to caclculate to see which is betetr deal.

Margo

Already heard back from him and you are correct about needing 2 cars. We are really just hoping for a highlight tour (3 hours). Want the views, the beach and the history.

I'd still like more recommendations for guided tours in Corfu. I am even more worried about the mini bus as they say the roads are narrow, windy, and hilly with no guide rails. Anyone know of a source?

CJF .... you could try looking for Dimitris Dafnis! on the internet he does guided tours and charges 40euros per hour and can take i believe 4 people.

Corfu does have narrow windy roads after all this is Greece we are talking about...:) but the Major roads are ok even if some are a bit windy, the village roads can be narrow but again its a village.

Driving in Corfu is an experience but after 16 holidays there we are used to it.

We used the previously mentioned Dimitrious on Capri and he was great. He charges by the hour and we were very pleased. He had 2 families that day, he and an assistant each had a group and we joined briefly with the other family in one of the towns.

We used Dimitris of corfutaxitours.com in 2006 and we have him booked again this October. Great guide, very reasonable, you will be very happy.

tooalto, can you tell me if you chose one of the tours from the website or if you did a custom tour? Where did you go and what did you see on that day? Thank you for the information!

Tammy :)

Just got back. We decided not to rent a car (the driver can't really relax) or take a ship's tour (too many people). Our party of four used corfutaxitours.com (which is the company name for three drivers--Spiros, Mikas & Dimitrius). Mikas was our guide and we had a delightful time! He is wonderfully laid back and his love for Corfu is infectious. We got off the beaten path and up mountain roads (very winding, very narrow) where he took us to several overlooks with amazing views of the beautiful island, bays and Albanian mountains. He would stop anywhere we wanted that we thought looked interesting, like the mountainside cafe and shop we spotted where the family was so friendly and happy to meet us. Mikas showed us his village including where he went to school and was married. We had a about a 20 minute stop for a bit of beach-combing before heading back to Corfu Town where Mikas did an overview tour and recommended a wonderful restaurant for lunch. The 3 1/2 hours were well worth the price to get a sense of the real Corfu beyond the tourist areas. It would be a shame to only see Corfu Town...

Just got back. We decided not to rent a car (the driver can't really relax) or take a ship's tour (too many people). Our party of four used corfutaxitours.com (which is the company name for three drivers--Spiros, Mikas & Dimitrius). Mikas was our guide and we had a delightful time! He is wonderfully laid back and his love for Corfu is infectious. We got off the beaten path and up mountain roads (very winding, very narrow) where he took us to several overlooks with amazing views of the beautiful island, bays and Albanian mountains. He would stop anywhere we wanted that we thought looked interesting, like the mountainside cafe and shop we spotted where the family was so friendly and happy to meet us. Mikas showed us his village including where he went to school and was married. We had a about a 20 minute stop for a bit of beach-combing before heading back to Corfu Town where Mikas did an overview tour and recommended a wonderful restaurant for lunch. The 3 1/2 hours were well worth the price to get a sense of the real Corfu beyond the tourist areas. It would be a shame to only see Corfu Town...

Thanx... what did charge?

tooalto, can you tell me if you chose one of the tours from the website or if you did a custom tour? Where did you go and what did you see on that day? Thank you for the information!

Tammy :)

Hi Tammy,

We are doing "executive tour #2" which includes the palace which we didn't see on our last visit. Dimitris took us to a wonderful farm stand run by friends, a great lunch by the sea and a stop in his native village. We all learned so much from him which is why I really enjoy the private tours. You'd never discover all the little nooks and crannies and history by just renting a car and driving around.

CJF .... you could try looking for Dimitris Dafnis! on the internet he does guided tours and charges 40euros per hour and can take i believe 4 people.

Corfu does have narrow windy roads after all this is Greece we are talking about...:) but the Major roads are ok even if some are a bit windy, the village roads can be narrow but again its a village.

Driving in Corfu is an experience but after 16 holidays there we are used to it.

Sidari, we're pretty independent & adenturous travelors like you, hey if we can drive the narrow winding coastal roads in Dominica we can handle Corfu!

Is there a particular brand rental car vendor you can recommend in terms of price & reliability, and a particular type of car? It's just the 2 of us , DH and I - if weather OK early October prefer something with an open top/ convertable. Do you think a 4x4 is advisable?

ISMT

Leah RN

I just got a quote for our group of 10, I'm sure it would be less for you because they are using a 16 passenger bus for our group.

www.corfuprivatetours.com

Thank you for your e mail,

The cost it will be 450 euros with a New Mercedes Minibus 16 seats fully Air condition and not smoking English speaking driver .

If you need a licences tour guide the cost is 250 euros extra.

Another company wanted 786 euro for driver and guide, with no mention that we could get it for less with just driver.

I just got a quote for our group of 10, I'm sure it would be less for you because they are using a 16 passenger bus for our group.

www.corfuprivatetours.com

Thank you for your e mail,

The cost it will be 450 euros with a New Mercedes Minibus 16 seats fully Air condition and not smoking English speaking driver .

If you need a licences tour guide the cost is 250 euros extra.

Another company wanted 786 euro for driver and guide, with no mention that we could get it for less with just driver.

Hi... did you get a quote from Nikos? When is your tour and is this the 1/2 day (4 hour) tour - I believe it's called the Corfu Highlight Tour?

This sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

Hi... [i read Doctrd's post and decided to see if I could negotiate - and I was successful...]

Since there were several other families that wanted tours in Corfu - I contacted Nikos (http://www.corfuprivatetours.com) and was able to re-negotiate our quote on the Corfu tour. For the 11 people we have already, he has agreed to do the 1/2 day tour for 450 total.... which is 41 euro/pp. Nikos stated that he would make it an even 500 euro for up to 4 additional people for a total of 15 which would bring it down to 33 euro/pp.

There are 4 more seats available to get in on this 1/2 tour of Corfu at this great price. Please email me at mcarney@sc.rr.com if you would like to join our group.

• 4 weeks later...

We used corfutaxitours and they were great. Spiros drove us around and showed us some epic views from the higher elevations, a local man who sold us some cheap wine, some of the other local sites, Paleokastritsa, gave us some beach time, it was a great trip. We skipped Achilleon though.

On a side note, I don't understand why people on the ship (Splendour of the Seas) kept saying there was nothing to do on Corfu. I think these people only went to Old Town to shop for five hours, got bored, and left. Corfu was one of my favorite ports on the whole trip.

Archived