wine as contraband?

avidtrav

I find it somewhat interesting if not concerning that there continues to be differing opinions on how bottles of wine brought to the ship both at embarkation and through varying port stops are treated by the staff of Azamara . My experience with both Oceania and Crystal was definitive. You could bring it on board for use in your stateroom or if you chose to bring it to dinner, there would be an understandable corkage fee of $25. It was always understood, in fact made clear in shipboard written material, that the wine or spirit brought on board was for use in your stateroom only. It would be considered inappropriate to flagrantly flaunt your own whisky or wine at the various bars on board. That too is understandable.

I’ve read here on this board of Azamara’s varying treatment when bringing wine on board. Surely if they do charge a corkage fee, which I’m given to believe they do based on reports of other Cruisecritic members on this board, there would or should be no issue at all. Why would staff “confiscate” your bottle(s) of wine brought on board at port stops if they do indeed charge a corkage fee? with so many interesting port stops, surely they don’t just assume you’ll bring your bottles on board at time of embarkation. And why would Azamara wish to cause their customers some embarrassment at the entryway to the ship in suggesting that one would have brought contraband on board?

Is there a definitive answer from Azamara?

I find it somewhat interesting if not concerning that there continues to be differing opinions on how bottles of wine brought to the ship both at embarkation and through varying port stops are treated by the staff of Azamara . My experience with both Oceania and Crystal was definitive. You could bring it on board for use in your stateroom or if you chose to bring it to dinner, there would be an understandable corkage fee of $25. It was always understood, in fact made clear in shipboard written material, that the wine or spirit brought on board was for use in your stateroom only. It would be considered inappropriate to flagrantly flaunt your own whisky or wine at the various bars on board. That too is understandable.

I’ve read here on this board of Azamara’s varying treatment when bringing wine on board. Surely if they do charge a corkage fee, which I’m given to believe they do based on reports of other Cruisecritic members on this board, there would or should be no issue at all. Why would staff “confiscate” your bottle(s) of wine brought on board at port stops if they do indeed charge a corkage fee? with so many interesting port stops, surely they don’t just assume you’ll bring your bottles on board at time of embarkation. And why would Azamara wish to cause their customers some embarrassment at the entryway to the ship in suggesting that one would have brought contraband on board?

Is there a definitive answer from Azamara?

The definitive answer from Azamara is that you can bring 2 bottles of wine per stateroom at embarkation. After that point any wine brought on board at the ports will be held until the last evening and then delivered to your stateroom.

The realistic view is that it is a complete and utter crapshoot. We noticed such varying enforcement it was almost funny - a lot seemed to do with when you returned to the ship - if it was at the normal return time (when all the excursions are coming back and they have an extra person there just to log wine) they will probably keep it (although we did see folks getting through with it even during peak times if the x-ray person was only 1/2 paying attention). If you come back late when they are rushing to get everyone back in the boat you will almost always be able to get it on and if the port has a separate screening area (Livorno for example) you will be able to get it on as well. As with most things security related it is selective enforcement and if you buy a bottle in the port you need to be prepared to have it confiscated.

When we booked our Azamara cruise, I knew what their policy was and although I would have preferred to be able to buy the occasional bottle of wine in port and enjoy it on our balcony, in the overall scheme of things, it wasn't a big problem or inconvenience to us. We accepted the fact that the two bottles that we brought on at embarkation would have to do, and anything else that we wanted would have to be purchased from them.

I don't think they intentionally want to cause their clients embarrassment when they re-board with alcohol. On our cruise there was a fairly large signboard stating what the policy was re bringing alcohol back from ports. It was placed at the gangway...visible both when leaving and returning. If someone did have wine or other alcohol in their possession when returning, it was handled politely and quietly...no embarrassment caused, unless the client decided to make a scene.

Policies vary amongst cruise lines with regards to many things. For some, this alcohol policy would be a 'make or break deal' and if that's the case, then another line that has a less restrictive policy seems like a better choice.

As for a definitive answer, I don't recall seeing one from Azamara, but I don't think they need to justify all of their policies.

While this subject is having its weekly outing can someone tell me what the bar prices are for whisky, gin etc (and is beer on draught?) and do the bar staff use that vilest of all devices, the optic, or take a more mediterranean approach?:)

What is an optic? Drinks on Azamara are a bit pricier - $10-11 for a martini, but I never had more than one. The wine list is expensive, but most of the wines are fairly priced at 2-3x retail, some less than that, comparable to dining on land.

Our experience with wine was that we were able to bring on 4 bottles at embarkation and take a few back onboard with us during the cruise. As disneyfan said, it's all a matter of how much attention they are paying. On the last day we brought some bottles on as gifts for the cellarmaster and one of the sommeliers. There was no issue then since they would have sent it straight up to the cabin at that point, anyway.

I have to assume they have the policy to enhance their bottom line. Given that we cruised in a balcony cabin for 14 nights for $1799, I think that they truly need that extra revenue.

Food and drink are among life’s great joys and social experiences. In fact, the marketing of the Azamara cruiseline includes mention of their various restaurants along with the dining room, not to speak as well, as to the quality and presentation of their offerings. For it is well understood that few of us prefer to eat alone, or for that matter, to drink alone, unless of course you have a predilection for or a habit of imbibing in your closet. And it was with that purpose, sharing one's acquisition with friends, that I framed my question for the folks at Azamara, who I assume, monitor this board.

I well understood that revenues for the cruiseline are important and that one way to ensure same is to sell their guests (passengers) a variety of beverages, from soft drinks to whiskeys as well wines or vintages from their select wine cellars. I think everyone both understands and appreciates that. My point in asking (Azamara) as to their habit of confiscating bottles of wines from guests was to point out its limitations, let alone the potential for embarrassment of their passengers. Why should one have to "sneak in" a bottle or two.

The point is that I would truly enjoy sharing my new found vintage treasure, and the story of its acquisition, with my friends at the dinner table and for that, I would indeed be willing to pay the corkage fee. If the fee were $25, then it’s as if they sold a bottle of wine for $37 to $45 given that their first cost would have been about $12 -$17. Why not ask or suggest to their guests, upon return to the ship from a port stop with a bottle or two in their backpack or tote bag, that they would be pleased to serve this bottle of wine at dinner and that they would store their purchase until requested. That way, if one chose not to, it would be returned at the end of the cruise, as is their custom. And all that without causing undue embarrassment to their guests or loss of revenue to the cruiseline. This is a win – win.

I'm hoping to bring a bottle of Russian vodka onboard from St. Petersburg. I wonder if that's been a problem in the past.

It's not a problem to bring it on board ... according to their policy which is on their website, they will store it for you and return it at the end of the cruise so that you can take it with you.

And it was with that purpose, sharing one's acquisition with friends, that I framed my question for the folks at Azamara, who I assume, monitor this board.

I also think that they monitor these boards, but they don't respond here. Have you tried contacting them to discuss it?

avidtrav,

Eloquently put, and a very logical compromise. Hopefully someone from Azamara will see your post and take your suggestion to heart. Considering the emphasis on our cruise stops in wine regions, and taking into account the current restrictions on transporting liquids on airplanes, it would be our desire to enjoy regional wines while on board the ship.

Food and drink are among life’s great joys and social experiences. In fact, the marketing of the Azamara cruiseline includes mention of their various restaurants along with the dining room, not to speak as well, as to the quality and presentation of their offerings. For it is well understood that few of us prefer to eat alone, or for that matter, to drink alone, unless of course you have a predilection for or a habit of imbibing in your closet. And it was with that purpose, sharing one's acquisition with friends, that I framed my question for the folks at Azamara, who I assume, monitor this board.

Many people enjoy having a glass or two of wine in their cabins, on the balcony or sitting on the couch. We tried the closet once, but couldn't fit.:rolleyes:

I well understood that revenues for the cruiseline are important and that one way to ensure same is to sell their guests (passengers) a variety of beverages, from soft drinks to whiskeys as well wines or vintages from their select wine cellars. I think everyone both understands and appreciates that. My point in asking (Azamara) as to their habit of confiscating bottles of wines from guests was to point out its limitations, let alone the potential for embarrassment of their passengers. Why should one have to "sneak in" a bottle or two.

The point is that I would truly enjoy sharing my new found vintage treasure, and the story of its acquisition, with my friends at the dinner table and for that, I would indeed be willing to pay the corkage fee. If the fee were $25, then it’s as if they sold a bottle of wine for $37 to $45 given that their first cost would have been about $12 -$17. Why not ask or suggest to their guests, upon return to the ship from a port stop with a bottle or two in their backpack or tote bag, that they would be pleased to serve this bottle of wine at dinner and that they would store their purchase until requested. That way, if one chose not to, it would be returned at the end of the cruise, as is their custom. And all that without causing undue embarrassment to their guests or loss of revenue to the cruiseline. This is a win – win.

I think that a line like Azamara, which purports to compete with Oceania and Crystal, should simply allow passengers to bring their wine onboard and let them consume it where they please. If they use the services of the cellarmaster or sommelier to drink the wine in the dining room, then they should be prepared to pay for the privilege, but if they prefer to consume their wine in their cabin, with or without friends, then that's just as legitimate a reason for bringing it onboard. Azamara (and Celebrity, for that matter) are following the lead of Royal Caribbean, which has had a number of embarassing (and expensive) incidents that have contributed to a draconian alcohol policy. I don't think either A or X attract the kind of spring breakers that RCI does, and I think their policy should be a little more mature. Just my opinion.:)

Critterchick asked what an optic is. It is a small device attached to the bottle to give a precise and meagre measure. Predictably of po-faced anglo-saxon origin and completely unknown here in Spain, where the measure poured is decided by the amiability of the barman.

Cheers!

There are two reasons listed here for not allowing passengers to bring additional bottles on board, and to confiscate them if attempted, both of which I already knew, as I'm sure most us do and understand. One is so that potential rowdiness from inebriated customers could be better monitored, after all if the only way one could get drinks was from an attendant and vigilant bartender who could cut you off, and the second, perhaps more important, is to increase revenue with profitable beverage sales. I appreciate the suggestion from Susan-M to speak with someone from Azamara but I knew too that I would only get a defensive posture from the person charged with the task of explaining policy. To effect change to policy ones needs not to challenge, which would be the content and context of a phone call, but for the policy makers (a more senior level than a staff member charged with the responsibility merely to explain it,) to understand and appreciate how customers view the policy. So thanks to Joelmomma who understands that and put forward the suggestion to the folks at Azamara that they listen (or read) what their customers are saying.

If Azamara truly intends to compete with Oceania, and while at times differentiation is important in branding, it is equally important to recognize that at other times imitation is the best form in meeting your customers expectations of what a luxury brand should be.

I do trust this is being monitored by the good folks at Azamara. An acknowledgement, while not expected, would be welcomed.

Critterchick asked what an optic is. It is a small device attached to the bottle to give a precise and meagre measure. Predictably of po-faced anglo-saxon origin and completely unknown here in Spain, where the measure poured is decided by the amiability of the barman.

Cheers!

No sign of those on Journey or Quest. Occasionally the bartender used a shot glass if his boss was watching, but mostly had a heavy hand.

There are two reasons listed here for not allowing passengers to bring additional bottles on board, and to confiscate them if attempted, both of which I already knew, as I'm sure most us do and understand. One is so that potential rowdiness from inebriated customers could be better monitored, after all if the only way one could get drinks was from an attendant and vigilant bartender who could cut you off, and the second, perhaps more important, is to increase revenue with profitable beverage sales. I appreciate the suggestion from Susan-M to speak with someone from Azamara but I knew too that I would only get a defensive posture from the person charged with the task of explaining policy. To effect change to policy ones needs not to challenge, which would be the content and context of a phone call, but for the policy makers (a more senior level than a staff member charged with the responsibility merely to explain it,) to understand and appreciate how customers view the policy. So thanks to Joelmomma who understands that and put forward the suggestion to the folks at Azamara that they listen (or read) what their customers are saying.

If Azamara truly intends to compete with Oceania, and while at times differentiation is important in branding, it is equally important to recognize that at other times imitation is the best form in meeting your customers expectations of what a luxury brand should be.

I do trust this is being monitored by the good folks at Azamara. An acknowledgement, while not expected, would be welcomed.

I don't think the Azamara employees are allowed to participate in CC, just observe. But I agree with you, and thank you for raising the topic!

Some times the spouted pourers on top of bottels are measures,we had no problems bringing wine on board in may 08,i think as long as no one starts taking advantage its ok( or bar revenues drop ):):)

[/size][/font]

If they use the services of the cellarmaster or sommelier to drink the wine in the dining room, then they should be prepared to pay for the privilege, but if they prefer to consume their wine in their cabin, with or without friends, then that's just as legitimate a reason for bringing it onboard. Azamara (and Celebrity, for that matter) are following the lead of Royal Caribbean, which has had a number of embarassing (and expensive) incidents that have contributed to a draconian alcohol policy. I don't think either A or X attract the kind of spring breakers that RCI does, and I think their policy should be a little more mature. Just my opinion.:)

Well said, critterchick! As someone who is big into wines, I have every intention of picking up some bottles in Italy and Greece on our cruise, and would like to be able to enjoy some on the ship because of the weight and liquid restrictions on the airlines now. (If you are going to make someone put ALL liquids into checked luggage, why then put such restrictions on luggage weight and number of bags? but I digress...)

I have not really cruised but am one to research a vacation thoroughly before booking, and it is my understanding that Azamara sees itself as a main competitor with Oceania. We booked with Azamara because of the itenerary, but ALMOST went with Oceania because we would have been able to bring the wine we wanted. If they want to truly compete with Oceania, they seriously need to rethink this policy.

This is almost exactly what I proposed in a letter a week ago to Dan Hanrahan, president of Celebrity/Azamara and I suggest others who feel as you and I do also write Hanrahan a letter. Since then, I received a lengthy telephone call from Azamara and was told that my suggestion sounded reasonable, that it had the makings of a win-win deal for both passenger and the cruise line but that the idea might not fly.

As a lawyer I'm just guessing, but part of the problem may be from the company's lawyers. It is they who drafted the company's (Celebrity/Azamara) liquor policies, with an eye toward limiting company liability in the event of a "drinking" accident. As everyone may recall, the parent company, RCL, had some serious problems in the past with passengers drinking excessively from personal alcohol and then injuring themselves and others. The hotel/hospitality side of the organization may want to loosen things up but every change in policy has to pass legal review (and also perhaps the Board of Directors). So it may not be a simple matter to change the existing policy. Hence, the practice on some ships to enforce it lightly.

As a lawyer I'm just guessing, but part of the problem may be from the company's lawyers. It is they who drafted the company's (Celebrity/Azamara) liquor policies, with an eye toward limiting company liability in the event of a "drinking" accident. As everyone may recall, the parent company, RCL, had some serious problems in the past with passengers drinking excessively from personal alcohol and then injuring themselves and others. The hotel/hospitality side of the organization may want to loosen things up but every change in policy has to pass legal review (and also perhaps the Board of Directors). So it may not be a simple matter to change the existing policy. Hence, the practice on some ships to enforce it lightly.

Just to pick nits with you (I'm a lawyer, too, can't help it:o) it's not the parent company, but a sister subsidiary, Royal Caribbean International, that had the problem, George Smith vanishing during the night after drinking his smuggled absinthe. There were some other episodes too, I think. But for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines (the parent company) to impose their policy on ALL subsidiaries is absurd, IMHO, unless there's a single liability policy that covers all three and requires them to have a uniform policy. Hmmm. Maybe that's it....

critterchick-RCL is the parent company; it operates all the lines. There is one legal office for all the "branded" lines.

Actually, to further pick the nit to pieces, the parent corporation is RCI - the sister lines are RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara :D

RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ltd.) is the parent company of all three lines. RCI (Royal Caribbean International) is the subsidiary line. see the logo:

placeholder_loggedin_logo_hdr.gif

But we digress. I still think we should be able to bring wine openly in ports on Azamara!:D

RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ltd.) is the parent company of all three lines. RCI (Royal Caribbean International) is the subsidiary line. see the logo:

I was getting very confused by this, and not enjoying being confused:o, I tracked this down on Azamara's website:

Richard D. Fain is Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., the global cruise company operating 38 ships under the Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean International, Pullmantur, Azamara Cruises and CDF Croisières de France brands. Fain joined Royal Caribbean in 1979 as an outside director on the company's Board of Directors.

Archived