questions re 14 night cruise on Diamond Princess

Habubabu

Hi Friends

This is my first time sailing on Princess.

I leave this Saturday for Alaska on a 14 night cruise on the Diamond Princess and have a few questions.

1. How much does it cost to use the washer and dryer? should I start raiding my coin jar or do I charge to my shipboard account? I will be bringing my own travel detergent.

2. RE formal nights: how many formal nights will I actually have on my cruise?

According to Princess' website: there are 3 formal nights on a 14 night (which is how I booked the cruise). However, this cruise is also two separate 7 night cruises which means 2 formal nights per 7 night cruise. So I'm a bit unclear on the final number.:confused:

3. Will there be a lot of trivia games?

Thank you in advance to all of the experienced cruisers for their help!

Hi Friends

This is my first time sailing on Princess.

I leave this Saturday for Alaska on a 14 night cruise on the Diamond Princess and have a few questions.

1. How much does it cost to use the washer and dryer? should I start raiding my coin jar or do I charge to my shipboard account? I will be bringing my own travel detergent.

2. RE formal nights: how many formal nights will I actually have on my cruise?

According to Princess' website: there are 3 formal nights on a 14 night (which is how I booked the cruise). However, this cruise is also two separate 7 night cruises which means 2 formal nights per 7 night cruise. So I'm a bit unclear on the final number.:confused:

3. Will there be a lot of trivia games?

Thank you in advance to all of the experienced cruisers for their help!

The washer and dryers cost $1.00 each and they take quarters. You cannot put the charge on your shipboard account. The laundromats have change machines or you can get change at the Pursers Desk.

Not sure on the formal nights but since this is B to B 7 days, I would think 2 each cruise.

There will be lots of Trivia.

Have a great cruise.

I'm pretty sure the laundry is coin, which you can just get on board instead of taking a pocket full with you. Since your cruise consists of 2 7 day cruises (even though your booking is actually the 14 day option), it will have 4 formals. I've never done Alaska yet, but I'm sure there will be plenty of trivia games.

Trivia will be played every morning and every afternoon; usually around 11:15 AM and 4:15 PM. Sometimes there are also specialized trivias in the 9:30 - 10:00 PM time slots. Princess is very trivia oriented. :)

Hi Friends

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

I especially appreciate knowing Princess is trivia oriented and the times provided will help me plan my days and nights!

Only a few days to go - Sonia

We did the 14 day to Hawaii, and we take a roll of quarters. Both the washer and dryer and the machine for soap/dryer sheets take quarters. Bring your own bounce sheets in a zip bag, and take your own soap (small travel boxes are available at walmart) if you prefer a particular brand of soap (they offer All, and I use Tide) This saves time and money as sometimes the machine is out of change.

Another tip...make sure you are putting the quarters in the correct slot...the machines are stacked one on top of the other and its easy to make a mistake.

Have a wonderful cruise

We did the 14 day to Hawaii, and we take a roll of quarters. Both the washer and dryer and the machine for soap/dryer sheets take quarters. Bring your own bounce sheets in a zip bag, and take your own soap (small travel boxes are available at walmart) if you prefer a particular brand of soap (they offer All, and I use Tide) This saves time and money as sometimes the machine is out of change.

Another tip...make sure you are putting the quarters in the correct slot...the machines are stacked one on top of the other and its easy to make a mistake.

Have a wonderful cruise

Thanks for all that info. I'm sailing with my Dad and he's bound and determined to do laundry so we'll take a printout of this post to take with us. If he had his way, he would take a toothbrush, 3 pairs of socks and undies in a grocery bag for his entire luggage!

On the other hand, I seem to bring my own stuff plus extras for him and for me:D!

Archived