Shuttle Launch on the 13th 7:17 AM

jenkinswoody

No but if the ship is supposed to be returning that day, the ship prob is already going to be in port.If not check with the front desk for a direction to look.

If you are an early riser, go to the top deck, and look to the stern almost straght back may be a little to the starboard side of the ship and you should have no problem seeing it. Check with the local Channels on the ships tv for the latest updates before you head out.Or ask the front desk the night before or before you head up to make sure there is no delay.The launch pad is probably no more than 10-15 miles away from where the ship docks.

No but if the ship is supposed to be returning that day, the ship prob is already going to be in port.If not check with the front desk for a direction to look.

If you are an early riser, go to the top deck, and look to the stern almost straght back may be a little to the starboard side of the ship and you should have no problem seeing it. Check with the local Channels on the ships tv for the latest updates before you head out.Or ask the front desk the night before or before you head up to make sure there is no delay.The launch pad is probably no more than 10-15 miles away from where the ship docks.

It's 13.4 miles to pad 39B (I used Google Earth).

I remember a while back that the Magic arrived early and waited offshore outside of the exclusionary zone so that the guests could watch a pre-dawn launch.

I remember a while back that the Magic arrived early and waited offshore outside of the exclusionary zone so that the guests could watch a pre-dawn launch.

Cheater!!! :D ( I guessed at the distance having driven to KSC from PC to buy ticktes for a launch after a cruise one day many moons ago.)

I know Disney does some things differently for shuttle launches. I have heard of them delaying a departure by a few hours to watch for the launch, and I am not surprised if they hold off shore for the launch. I was going on the assumption that the ship entered port prior to the launch.

Great Luck if they do hold off shore. Make sure you have your camera or video camera handy.

Cheater!!! :D ( I guessed at the distance having driven to KSC from PC to buy ticktes for a launch after a cruise one day many moons ago.)

I know Disney does some things differently for shuttle launches. I have heard of them delaying a departure by a few hours to watch for the launch, and I am not surprised if they hold off shore for the launch. I was going on the assumption that the ship entered port prior to the launch.

Great Luck if they do hold off shore. Make sure you have your camera or video camera handy.

I'm thinking they'll already be docked. The launch is at 7:14...they are scheduled to be back at the port at 7:30.

I'm thinking they'll already be docked. The launch is at 7:14...they are scheduled to be back at the port at 7:30.

Every DCL cruise I've been on, the ship has actually been docked back at Port Canaveral around 5:30 am, give or take a half hour. We've never docked any later than 6 am.

Just an FYI....

NASA officially approved the launch today; it is set for 7:17am on Saturday June 13.

Cool. There will be some great views from the aft end of the ship and the "secret deck" aft. I wish that I was there.

On the Magic, after an at sea medical emergency, a passenger was taken off the ship, we continued to Port Canaveral. It was about 7:45 pm.,and we were just off Freeport, Bahamas. We saw the shuttle probably appear 40 seconds after it had launched, maybe afew seconds later. Our view of the shuttle was clear. Let me be specific. We could easily see the exhuast flames, and the boosters fall off, at some point. On board Disney actually turned off all of the lights on the top decks, to reduce ambient light. Probably about 400 passengers witnessed, not the launch, but the trajectory of the space shuttle going into space. The whole seen lasted only about 45 seconds. This was a diverted cruise from Eastern to Western, start Date about Nov 6th? It was Awesome! Metrowon

I can not believe I will be in Port that day!! We leave June 6th and return June 13th! I am going to make sure we are out there and watching! What a sight to see! I would not have know about this if it wasn't for this board! Thanks so much! (and Host Mick, I am going to look into that secret deck)

Cool. There will be some great views from the aft end of the ship and the "secret deck" aft. I wish that I was there.

Mick, do you mean the "secret deck" on the 8th deck or the bigger one on the 7th deck?

Our last cruise, we were in the suite right adjacent to the smaller one - 8102.

And we had a great view of the Captain renewing an older couple's wedding vows on the big one on the 7th deck.

Archived