Photo Id's for 16 year old

So, what's your back plan if you do have a problem? Not trying to be a smart-a but, what are you going to do with the 16 year old if he can't get on the ship? Are you all going to stay behind? Leave him by him self? I guess I wouldn't be comfortable with finding out on the day you are scheduled to leave.

I guess we will not go. I am not comfortable waiting either but I can not force his parents to do something they don't want to do. I called the Carnival travel emergency line and she talked to people in embarkation that said the birth certificate will be enough. My stepson seems to think that will be enough. I guess this will teach me not to book a cruise on the spur of the moment. I asked about the passports, I did not think to ask about a photo id for the grandkids. By the time I saw it on the Carnival site I had already booked and paid for the cruise.

My daughter had her paper drivers license (you know the one they issue you before you get your real one in the mail - in UT any way). It has her photo on it and the airlines would not accept this - luckly I had her passport with me.

I photo copied the passports now and shrunk them down so they could be carried in the wallets.

I guess we will not go. I am not comfortable waiting either but I can not force his parents to do something they don't want to do. I called the Carnival travel emergency line and she talked to people in embarkation that said the birth certificate will be enough. My stepson seems to think that will be enough. I guess this will teach me not to book a cruise on the spur of the moment. I asked about the passports, I did not think to ask about a photo id for the grandkids. By the time I saw it on the Carnival site I had already booked and paid for the cruise.

I hope it does work out for you and that you do all get to go. I would think the parents would be grateful for you taking the kid on this trip but I know that isn't always what happens. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I don't know what ports you are going to but I know in Nassau they will not let you back into the secure area without a photo ID. You had to show S&S and photo that matched. I believe that Jamaica had the same requirement. If you do get on the ship check the port rules before you get off. Cindy

We just booked on Sat. for the June 22 cruise on The Fantasy. Our grandson is 16 and according to the Carnival website he will need a photo id. He doesn't have his drivers license yet. He lives in Texas and I hope they will go today to try and get this done. No idea how long it will take. Also not sure if the daughter-in-law will really do it, we have problems there.

My question is does anyone know how strict Carnival is about this? I was told it all depends on Homeland Security but have no idea what that means as we have never had to deal with it before.

We did a cruise on NCL with my father-in-law and the only photo id he had was from Sam's Club and they accepted it. Really surprised us.

Hope we can get one and not have to worry but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks.

From m16 years and up, Homeland Security REQUIRES a photo ID. Without one, no boarding.

He can use a student photo ID if he has one. Also, most states' division of motor vehicle offers a photo ID for those who don't drive or are underage......

If you show up without proper and required documents, prepare to be disappointed.

apart from a passport..even with a photo ID..there are

circumstances where a birth certificate is needed ie,

debarkation..

like the previous poster..get a passport and avoid any

future problems where ID is required..the only place that

would question a passport would be a corner grocery store..

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise. We had no problem getting on the ship. The grandkids had their photo id's, not gov't issued, and their birth certificates, the agent checking us in looked at them and sent us on our way.

Getting back on in port was no problem either, at Progresso they did not ask to see a phot ID and the ones we had worked fine in Cozumel. Same thing at immigration, no problem at all.

I was very relieved to say the least. I would not recommend going without the proper ID's. It worked out for us but I think it had a lot to do with the agent we got, another one might have given us a hard time. If we ever decide to take them on another cruise we will get them passports. If we had the time we would have gotten them for this cruise.

We just booked on Sat. for the June 22 cruise on The Fantasy. Our grandson is 16 and according to the Carnival website he will need a photo id. He doesn't have his drivers license yet. He lives in Texas and I hope they will go today to try and get this done. No idea how long it will take. Also not sure if the daughter-in-law will really do it, we have problems there.

My question is does anyone know how strict Carnival is about this? I was told it all depends on Homeland Security but have no idea what that means as we have never had to deal with it before.

We did a cruise on NCL with my father-in-law and the only photo id he had was from Sam's Club and they accepted it. Really surprised us.

Hope we can get one and not have to worry but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks.

I would think school id would work. My step-daughter just moved here from Kansas. So, she doesn't have a license yet. They accepted her school id when we went to cash her paycheck from when she was working in Kansas.

Archived