Photo Id's for 16 year old

We just booked on Sat. for the June 22 cruise on The Fantasy. Our grandson is 16 and according to the Carnival website he will need a photo id. He doesn't have his drivers license yet. He lives in Texas and I hope they will go today to try and get this done. No idea how long it will take. Also not sure if the daughter-in-law will really do it, we have problems there.

My question is does anyone know how strict Carnival is about this? I was told it all depends on Homeland Security but have no idea what that means as we have never had to deal with it before.

We did a cruise on NCL with my father-in-law and the only photo id he had was from Sam's Club and they accepted it. Really surprised us.

Hope we can get one and not have to worry but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks.

My dd-15 is traveling to Europe on a cruise with my inlaws in July.

Although she has a passport, my husband took her last week to Motor Vehicle and

got a State Issued ID for her so she can have instead of walking around

with her passport each time they get off the ship.

She got temporary paperwork and her original will be mailed to her.

Not sure how long, though, it takes.

We live in NY.

We just booked on Sat. for the June 22 cruise on The Fantasy. Our grandson is 16 and according to the Carnival website he will need a photo id. He doesn't have his drivers license yet. He lives in Texas and I hope they will go today to try and get this done. No idea how long it will take. Also not sure if the daughter-in-law will really do it, we have problems there.

My question is does anyone know how strict Carnival is about this? I was told it all depends on Homeland Security but have no idea what that means as we have never had to deal with it before.

We did a cruise on NCL with my father-in-law and the only photo id he had was from Sam's Club and they accepted it. Really surprised us.

Hope we can get one and not have to worry but just wondered if anyone had any experience with this. Thanks.

Our kids use their school ID, I'm pretty sure all schools use them.

That is only if you are flying or driving across the border, or taking a cruise to certain areas that have requirements. The majority of closed loop cruises (leaving and returning to the same US port) do NOT need passports.

You might be in a bit of a wait for a Texas ID card from the DPS.

Texas does not process them on the spot, the wait time is the same as a drivers license. It takes about three weeks.

Get that kid there today. Call the DPS (our DMV) office and ask what forms of ID you will need to take with you to get the card made.

Once you get home call Carnival and tell them what you have done.

We have traveled with a 15 year old without a photo ID card, but her parents came to the check-in desk with us at the Galveston Cruise Terminal and signed the papers and presented a notarized permission letter.

Best bet is to get to DPS pronto...

He goes to a very small high school and they don't have photo id's and he has a permit but it doesn't have a photo either.

First I would contact Carnival to make sure they accept a Texas Photo ID, although I see no reason not to. Second, you may have to be pro-active if the Mom is not going to be helpful. The boy may be able to do it without Mom being there.

Here is a web link that will give you some good information on Texas Photo IDs

That is only if you are flying or driving across the border, or taking a cruise to certain areas that have requirements. The majority of closed loop cruises (leaving and returning to the same US port) do NOT need passports.

On the radio this morning the newscaster said that beginning today if you cross any national border with ANY kind of transportation, you would need a passport to get back in the states. That includes Mexico, Canada, or the Carribean. We have had our passports for years, so I am not concerned, but I wondered at the time if he was correct about that.

Travelling by sea or land to Mexico or Canada... you are required to have a "passport card" or other approved forms of ID. Travelling by air, you have to have the passport book.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0

"U.S. Citizens

Air Travel

All U.S. citizens including children must present a passport or other approved travel document when entering the United States by air. U.S. citizens can present a passport, NEXUS card at airports with NEXUS kiosks, U.S. military ID with travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when on official business.

Land/Sea Travel

Beginning June 1, 2009

U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license."

Don't mess around it with... you'll be incredibly dissapointed if you arrive to the port and are denied boarding because if an ID issue. Make the effort to go get an expedited Passport card and the very least.

On the radio this morning the newscaster said that beginning today if you cross any national border with ANY kind of transportation, you would need a passport to get back in the states. That includes Mexico, Canada, or the Carribean. We have had our passports for years, so I am not concerned, but I wondered at the time if he was correct about that.

For those that dont read ALL the fine print that would appear true.

As I understand it.... There is an exception for the "Closed Loop" cruises.

"US citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States."

My understanding is that as of today... that exception is gone.

My understanding is that as of today... that exception is gone.

Actually, that "exception" went into full force today. It is part of the WHTI final rule that became effective today.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative when fully implemented on June 1, 2009 will require all travelers to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda to present a valid passport or other approved document that establishes the bearer's identity and citizenship in order to enter or reenter the United States.

(emphasis added).

Other approved document includes government issued ID + official birth certificate for closed-loop cruises.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/whti_landseafinalrule.pdf

Ok... confusion averted...

... twas' my understanding that you had to have one of the 2 (PP Card or Book)... Live and learn.

I have my passport... both my children have them... I just would rather have one piece of ID for them and avoid any confusion. (Although my son has both a US and Russian passport.... long story).

Ok... confusion averted...

... twas' my understanding that you had to have one of the 2 (PP Card or Book)... Live and learn.

I have my passport... both my children have them... I just would rather have one piece of ID for them and avoid any confusion. (Although my son has both a US and Russian passport.... long story).

With all of the misinformation that was spread by the media, government agencies and officials, cruise lines, travel agents, and others, confusion is understandable.

A passport is not required, it is the photo id that is the problem. I have gotten two different answers from Carnival, one said the birth certificate would be enough. State of Texas said 6 to 8 weeks and even the expidited passport is 2 to 3 weeks and expensive.

My stepson has Homeland Security clearance documents because he works on a river ship and doesn't think we will have a problem. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks.

A passport is not required, it is the photo id that is the problem. I have gotten two different answers from Carnival, one said the birth certificate would be enough. State of Texas said 6 to 8 weeks and even the expidited passport is 2 to 3 weeks and expensive.

My stepson has Homeland Security clearance documents because he works on a river ship and doesn't think we will have a problem. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks.

So, what's your back plan if you do have a problem? Not trying to be a smart-a but, what are you going to do with the 16 year old if he can't get on the ship? Are you all going to stay behind? Leave him by him self? I guess I wouldn't be comfortable with finding out on the day you are scheduled to leave.

I don't believe that this includes a cruiseline since they id pax themselves via pix, sail & sign card, etc.. before they leave the states. Many kids do not have passports.

Hi, In the state of Pa once a child hits 16 you can go to the DMV and get them a photo ID.

I was under the understanding that as of today you need to have the card or passport. Also if you would be on the ship and have an emergency and need to come home you would need one of these also.

You should also have a letter from the parents giving you permission to take him. I always have this but have only been asked for it once.

At our local AAA they will take a passport picture and notorize it that it is the child with the parents signature. They bring in the birth certificate.

It's actually not a legal document but I know people that have traveled with it and had no problem. Of course that was before today's new rules went into affect. I have had people get their new passports in less than a week recently.

Archived