Azamara Quest

Ottawa_Guy

Just back from Best of Italy May 16 sailing off the Azamara Quest

After 14 cruises and many other trips I must say this one was the VERY BEST.

From the Ship to the crew to the C.C. Team I must say we LOVED it.

Nothing is perfect but we got way more then our money worth and that is the bottom line.

Azamara Quest well done and we will be back.

Gord and Carmen

Just back from Best of Italy May 16 sailing off the Azamara Quest

After 14 cruises and many other trips I must say this one was the VERY BEST.

From the Ship to the crew to the C.C. Team I must say we LOVED it.

Nothing is perfect but we got way more then our money worth and that is the bottom line.

Azamara Quest well done and we will be back.

Gord and Carmen

Hi Ottawa Guy !

Thank you for your update. I'm happy to hear you had a great time on Azamara Quest. Welcome Home !

I have to concur with my fellow CCrs and new friends (hi C&G and J&D)--this was a most excellent cruise and a great value for the price. Best of all were the great people we met (the food, itinerary and the 14 days of sunshine were not too bad either!)

The Quest crew were gracious and professional, the food ranged from good to excellent (especially in the specialty restaurants), and the ship well-run and immaculate. The coffee and entertainment, however, left much to be desired--but did little to spoil a wonderful experience.

Annie

I too concur with everyone....this was the best cruise I have ever been on! Ok, it was my first but really, it was great. The ship, the crew, the food, the weather and the CC gang....a memorable 2 weeks and friendships that we hope to continue long after the cruise.

Great to hear you all had such a great trip. How about some specifics as far as what you all did in the different ports - example - did you use Azamara's transfers into Florence? Did you venture by yourselves when in Sorrento? Did anyone take the Archeo option in Olbia? Rate any excusions that you took with Azamara or did on your own? Let's hear about your adventures off the ship in any of the ports. Those of us going on the same Best of Italy, will all be interested. Regards and thanks.

Great to hear you all had such a great trip. How about some specifics as far as what you all did in the different ports - example - did you use Azamara's transfers into Florence? Did you venture by yourselves when in Sorrento? Did anyone take the Archeo option in Olbia? Rate any excusions that you took with Azamara or did on your own? Let's hear about your adventures off the ship in any of the ports. Those of us going on the same Best of Italy, will all be interested. Regards and thanks.

Here's the intermittent report I made from the ship. If you slog through it, you'll see a report of what we did in each port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=988590

We only did two of the ship's excursions: Biking in Konvale Valley (Dubrovnik) and transport to Florence. The biking excursion was excellent but you should be in good physical condition to enjoy it. The bus transport to Florence was OK--but made an unnecessary stop at a leather factory.

In Sorrento we did private excursions. The first day we booked a driver from the Monetti company that Rick Steves recommends (check his Italy guide book). The price was reasonable (240 euros for a driver and a Mercedes sedan that can fit four). The driver, Nico, was excellent and we had an 8-hour tour of the Amalfi coast and saw way more than we would have on a ship's excursion. He knew where to stop for the most glorious photo ops and he also recommended some excellent places to eat that Italians, not tourists, frequented.

On our second day we booked a tour with Capritime tours (easy to find on the web). 6 of us from our roll call spent a wonderful day (might even be the highlight of the trip) in Capri. The first half was a boat tour around the island on a boat with beds (I thought I was Cleopatra on a barge!). We went into various grottos and got a history tour from Rebecca, the company's owner. The second part was a tour of the island including Capri and Anacapri, including cab rides. We stopped for lunch (not included) and then on to the villa and gardens of San Michele. The price worked out to about 110 Euros per person (but does not include transport from Sorrento to Capri) and was worth double the price!!

The rest of the ports we did on our own. I would recommend organizing some type of tour for one of the days in Ravenna as the town does not warrant two days. I would also recommend taking an excursion in Olbia as there really is little to do in the port itself and cab fares were approx. 120 Euros to go to the Emerald Coast.

In Cinque Terre we took a boat to the farthest town and then went between the towns via train. Plan your day to coincide with the trains if you do this as they are approx. once an hour. La Spezia, the actual port, is actually a pretty cool little local town.

Hope this helps.

Annie

We have done Europe both on Celebrity and Azamara, just coming back from the Best of Italy this past Saturday. It's a little hard to compare, since they were slightly different itineraries, but based solely on the ship, I have to say I would go with Azamara.

The smaller ship I felt worked well in Europe,as this was a very port intensive cruise so we really didn't need the shows and much nightlife. We would eat late, mostly in the specialty restaurants, take a quick walk around the ship and head to bed so we could be up the next day for the next port. But, we don't mind the quiet. Others may not feel the same way.

Getting on and off the ship, whether docked or by tender is a pleasure on a ship of this size. There is never a wait or a crowd. The staff is all very friendly and accessible and willing help. Quite a few remembered us by name from a previuos Quest cruise and we got to know a few others well.

This all having been said, we have sailed Celebrity 8 times and love the line and will definitely be sailing them again. I just felt for this itinerary, the Quest was perfect.

Whatever you choose, you will be sailing in Europe and that alone is wonderful.

We only did two of the ship's excursions: Biking in Konvale Valley (Dubrovnik) and transport to Florence. The biking excursion was excellent but you should be in good physical condition to enjoy it. The bus transport to Florence was OK--but made an unnecessary stop at a leather factory.

In Sorrento we did private excursions. The first day we booked a driver from the Monetti company that Rick Steves recommends (check his Italy guide book). The price was reasonable (240 euros for a driver and a Mercedes sedan that can fit four). The driver, Nico, was excellent and we had an 8-hour tour of the Amalfi coast and saw way more than we would have on a ship's excursion. He knew where to stop for the most glorious photo ops and he also recommended some excellent places to eat that Italians, not tourists, frequented.

On our second day we booked a tour with Capritime tours (easy to find on the web). 6 of us from our roll call spent a wonderful day (might even be the highlight of the trip) in Capri. The first half was a boat tour around the island on a boat with beds (I thought I was Cleopatra on a barge!). We went into various grottos and got a history tour from Rebecca, the company's owner. The second part was a tour of the island including Capri and Anacapri, including cab rides. We stopped for lunch (not included) and then on to the villa and gardens of San Michele. The price worked out to about 110 Euros per person (but does not include transport from Sorrento to Capri) and was worth double the price!!

The rest of the ports we did on our own. I would recommend organizing some type of tour for one of the days in Ravenna as the town does not warrant two days. I would also recommend taking an excursion in Olbia as there really is little to do in the port itself and cab fares were approx. 120 Euros to go to the Emerald Coast.

In Cinque Terre we took a boat to the farthest town and then went between the towns via train. Plan your day to coincide with the trains if you do this as they are approx. once an hour. La Spezia, the actual port, is actually a pretty cool little local town.

Hope this helps.

Annie

Annie - thank you so much. I appreciate all the input from different cruise passengers. Cinque Terre was getting me confused....and we will now do the same as you.....taking the boat to the furthest town and then take the train. Was there any town that you would have bypassed? Where did you get the train schedule?

Florence - I had thought about taking a cab to the train station - but concerned about train times and such - it's a shame the Quest isn't there for 2 nights....however, maybe breaking down and spending the $90 pp for the ship's transport is the easiest thing to do.

Yes, Olbia - that is a concern. Wish we someone would reply that took a ship's tour - and was happy with that.

We've been to Capri before - but would do it again....but may take the ferry to Positano....(so much to do, so little time)....we shall see. We've never spent much time in Sorrento either....

Ravenna - yes, others have said it doesn't warrant two nights. We wondered about San Marino? Any thoughts? Did anyone do that?

We are excited about the trip......today was pay day.....if you know what I mean. So - it's starting to get real. Joan

Annie - thank you so much. I appreciate all the input from different cruise passengers. Cinque Terre was getting me confused....and we will now do the same as you.....taking the boat to the furthest town and then take the train. Was there any town that you would have bypassed? Where did you get the train schedule?

Florence - I had thought about taking a cab to the train station - but concerned about train times and such - it's a shame the Quest isn't there for 2 nights....however, maybe breaking down and spending the $90 pp for the ship's transport is the easiest thing to do.

Yes, Olbia - that is a concern. Wish we someone would reply that took a ship's tour - and was happy with that.

We've been to Capri before - but would do it again....but may take the ferry to Positano....(so much to do, so little time)....we shall see. We've never spent much time in Sorrento either....

Ravenna - yes, others have said it doesn't warrant two nights. We wondered about San Marino? Any thoughts? Did anyone do that?

We are excited about the trip......today was pay day.....if you know what I mean. So - it's starting to get real. Joan

I didn't personally do it but a couple we met on the ship did the Porto Cervo with Wine Tasting tour in Olbia and said it was great. I wish that we had taken a tour because there was not much to do in the town.

I didn't personally do it but a couple we met on the ship did the Porto Cervo with Wine Tasting tour in Olbia and said it was great. I wish that we had taken a tour because there was not much to do in the town.

that's good info....Yes, I hate to waste a day just sitting around - even though I know it's a lovely boat...and beautiful surroundings. The tour of the dwellings also looked interesting...but we do enjoy vino.....and it was reasonably priced....

Cinque Terre -did you eat in any of the restaurants? How did you get the train schedule....? Were you off the boat early....and then were you able to walk over easily to the ferrY???

I know I'm picking your brain.....it's fun planning and with your having the first hand experience makes it interesting. It's probably fun for you too to relive your recent trip.

What time were you able to get on the ship in Civitavecchia for embarkation?

Thanks

Our flight from the States got into FCO at 8:20 AM. We were actually on board the ship about 11:00, although the staterooms were not ready until a little after 1:00PM. The public rooms were open and lunch was served in Windows Cafe on Deck 9.

We disembarked at 7:40AM and i would guess that the ship was cleared by 9:00 at the latest.

Hope that's helpful.

that's good info....Yes, I hate to waste a day just sitting around - even though I know it's a lovely boat...and beautiful surroundings. The tour of the dwellings also looked interesting...but we do enjoy vino.....and it was reasonably priced....

Cinque Terre -did you eat in any of the restaurants? How did you get the train schedule....? Were you off the boat early....and then were you able to walk over easily to the ferrY???

I know I'm picking your brain.....it's fun planning and with your having the first hand experience makes it interesting. It's probably fun for you too to relive your recent trip.

We anchored in La Spezia around 10:00 and were on a tender around 10:45, as I recall. In the tender ports, they didn't announce that we could leave until the ship's tours were all off, but they didn't stop anybody from leaving. The tendering was brilliant - we never waited more than 10 minutes, and they didn't insist of filling up the tender before going.

We had a copy of the Rick Steves guide to Italy and he had the train schedules in there. We used them as a guideline only, since the book was published in 2008, but they turned out to be accurate. We took the train up, although next time I think we will take the ferry - once off the tender you turn left, walk about a block and there it is.

We hiked from Monterosso to Vernazza, the hardest of the trails, and had lunch in Vernazza. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but will dig the receipt out eventually and let you know. It was right next to a public water fountain (which was a work of art), on the right hand side of the street as you face away from the water.

Ed, we were in the "last call" group disembarking at around 8:30. At that point they said we could leave any time until 9:00, at which point they would presumably have dragged us off.:p But our driver had already arrived (we could see from our balcony), so we went off earlier.

Although we didn't do a tour in Olbia and just walked around the town, we did meet up with two other couples from our CC group and had a very nice lunch.

Cinque Terre was actually one of my favorite stops. We did a ships tour here and it was the only tour that I really felt was worth it. However, when I return to Cinque Terre, I will do my own thing. We took the ferry which as Jean said is to the left when you get off of the ships tender. We had lunch in the second town, Manarola, at Trattoria Il Porticciolo which turned out to me my favorite meal in Italy! As it turned out, it was a "Rick Steves favorite" also. Their website is www.ilporticciolo5terre.com .I had the Mussels Marinara as an appetizer and some kind of pasta with pesto. My husband had the ravioli with pesto and that was great also. Of course, we also enjoyed the white wine of the Cinque Terre region and it was excellent. Bought an extra bottle to take home as a gift!

We went to four out of five of the towns, skipping Corniglia. We had Gelato in Vernazza that was to die for. I don't remember the name of the place but it was on the right as you are walking into the town.

We took the train from Manarola to Vernazza and the ferry for everything else. There is no comparison, IMHO, scenic-wise, the ferry beats the train hands-down!

our flight from the states got into fco at 8:20 am. We were actually on board the ship about 11:00, although the staterooms were not ready until a little after 1:00pm. The public rooms were open and lunch was served in windows cafe on deck 9.

We disembarked at 7:40am and i would guess that the ship was cleared by 9:00 at the latest.

Hope that's helpful.

thanks for the info- noticed that you traveled from charlotte. Did azamara arrange your air? If so, what airline were you on? I ask because we are coming from cincinnati and are still in the dark as to the airline arrangements azamara has in store for us. I'm sure we'll have to make a connection somewhere or other. Thanks.

thanks for the info- noticed that you traveled from charlotte. Did azamara arrange your air? If so, what airline were you on? I ask because we are coming from cincinnati and are still in the dark as to the airline arrangements azamara has in store for us. I'm sure we'll have to make a connection somewhere or other. Thanks.

Azamara originally did our air....direct flight to Rome from JFK, NY. Due to the price reductions, we had to cancel the air and ended up on British Airways with a stop in London....saved 2,800 so it was worth it!

We actually did our own air; if you live in Charlotte, USAir tends to limit your choices to going via Philadephia which has to be one of the world's worst customer unfriendly airports ( I don't mean to stir up trouble, or hurt anyone's feelings, but PHL has the surliest TSA personel that I have ever seen. Just rude. So I try to avoid that. My preference would have been Lufthansa: Charlotte-Munich-Rome, but couldn't make the return work, so we went Delta: Charlotte-Atlanta-Rome and reverse. It was a bit of a surprise to me, but the plane, operated by NWA was nice and reasonably comfortable in coach. Delta had the best price for the route: about $400 cheaper than USAir and $450 cheaper than Lufthansa.

I usually make my own air arrangements if I can.

Hope that's useful.

My Motorola Razer ( ATT&T) is a GSM phone and is setup for International Roaming. The later is free from AT&T, but you do have to call and have them do it.Per minute charges do apply. We spoke to our Daughter from Rome last Saturday when we got off the Quest. My phone is also unlocked which means that I can put a pre-paid local SIM card in it. Probably not worth the cost unless you plan to make a number of calls. Prepaid phone cards also work (not a SIM card here) in local phones, but you may need some local language skills to use the local phones.

You can also bring a laptop, buy a package on the ship and keep in touch via e-mail, or just look for a local Internet Access Point; they're common in Europe.

Hope that helps.

All the Cinque Terre towns were beautiful--but we loved Montorosso best (the furthest town) which had a lovely resort-like feel to it. Go to the train station and look at the schedule so you will know when to get back to the station. As you get off the train at each station--check the schedule. Also, walk the Via Dell'Amore-the path between the two towns of Riomaggiore and Manarola. The walk is relatively short and the views spectacular.

For Florence, you might want to get another couple from your roll call and negotiate with a taxi--but at the time of year you are going the port might be crowded and taxis at a premium. There are companies online if you can get a group together that might be worth it.

Have never been to San Marino so I can't comment--but some on our roll call put together a tour of Bologna (Ed Green--perhaps you can help here).

Loved both Sorrento and Positano--definitely eat dinner out on the overnight there!!

Hope this helps.

Annie

Archived