Azamara Quest

Ottawa_Guy

how were you able to communicate with family in the united states. i live in houston and would like to be able to contact my family while i'm in italy.

As Ed said "You can also bring a laptop, buy a package on the ship and keep in touch via e-mail, or just look for a local Internet Access Point; they're common in Europe."

If you wanted you could get a magicjack for $39.95 and use your laptop as a phone over the internet. The call to you would be a local number and the call home would be free other than the internet connection charge. Also you get voicemail via your e-mail. So if someone tries to reach you and your out sightseeing they can leave you a message for when you return. Just another option to consider.

I got the World Traveller add on from AT&T for $5.99/month (no minimum term, so we'll cancel it as soon as all of the calls show up). That brought the per-minute charges down to .99 for Italy. I only used the phone a couple of times, mainly to set up our Sicily tour, but wanted to be able to have relatively inexpensive access in case of an emergency at home. Our bill already reflects most of the charges, so the total cost will be in the range of $40 for the trip.

You could also try Skype, if your phone or laptop supports it. It won't work onboard because the connection is too slow, but if you're in port and need to make a call, have the most likely contacts become Skype users and the calls will be free (unless you have to pay for Wifi).

We have trained our families not to call us unless there's a dire emergency. We are, after all, getting away from it all.:D

Critter sorry forgot to say what a pleasure it was getting to know you both

Carmen and Gord.

And you as well! I think that this was the best group of people I've ever cruised with. Being able to do so many things together on and off the ship made the experience even more special.

Crimsonbird, this is the bus company that we used to put together the Bologna trip. They were reliable and easy to work with overall. I'm sure that they could put together something to San Marino if you were able to get a group together.

http://www.cosepuri.it/

We were so very lucky in our roll-call, it was made up of the greatest group of people that you could imagine. I can only hope that you are as fortunate.

We were so very lucky in our roll-call, it was made up of the greatest group of people that you could imagine. I can only hope that you are as fortunate.

I'm thinking we should all go with her to make sure she has a great group of people, yes?

We have done Europe both on Celebrity and Azamara, just coming back from the Best of Italy this past Saturday. It's a little hard to compare, since they were slightly different itineraries, but based solely on the ship, I have to say I would go with Azamara.

The smaller ship I felt worked well in Europe,as this was a very port intensive cruise so we really didn't need the shows and much nightlife. We would eat late, mostly in the specialty restaurants, take a quick walk around the ship and head to bed so we could be up the next day for the next port. But, we don't mind the quiet. Others may not feel the same way.

Getting on and off the ship, whether docked or by tender is a pleasure on a ship of this size. There is never a wait or a crowd. The staff is all very friendly and accessible and willing help. Quite a few remembered us by name from a previuos Quest cruise and we got to know a few others well.

This all having been said, we have sailed Celebrity 8 times and love the line and will definitely be sailing them again. I just felt for this itinerary, the Quest was perfect.

Whatever you choose, you will be sailing in Europe and that alone is wonderful.

Thanks for your kind response. Ok withouot opening a bag of worns. How is the food compared to Celebrity. Yes i know that Jacques Van Staden is on line now. Thanks:-)

Thanks for your kind response. Ok withouot opening a bag of worns. How is the food compared to Celebrity. Yes i know that Jacques Van Staden is on line now. Thanks:-)

IMHO, the food on our recent Quest Cruise was better than on our Constellation Cruise last February. I would rate the Specialty Restaurants as pretty much equal, but Azamara's Main DR is superior to Celebrity at this point.

I'll get another comparsion in July when we're on the Infinity, but right now Azamara wins to my thinking.

Hi,

It's easy to get to Florence by public transport. Take the ship's shuttle into town. Purchase a bus ticket at a tobacconist (if the drop off point is the same, there is one opposite) take the number one bus to the station (very frequent) and then the train to Florence. Trains are regular and you will see many of your fellow passengers doing the same.

Enjoy.

Spursgirl

Hi,

It's easy to get to Florence by public transport. Take the ship's shuttle into town. Purchase a bus ticket at a tobacconist (if the drop off point is the same, there is one opposite) take the number one bus to the station (very frequent) and then the train to Florence. Trains are regular and you will see many of your fellow passengers doing the same.

Enjoy.

Spursgirl

One caveat: on our cruise, Livorno was our final port prior to disembarkation in Rome. If one had planned a trip to Florence from Livorno by either train or public bus and run into a problem ( rail or bus strike, traffic, etc.) there might be a significant risk of missing the ship. This would not be a good thing the day before the cruise ended; how would you pack, etc.

Just something to keep in mind.

I'm thinking we should all go with her to make sure she has a great group of people, yes?

Si!:D

Did anyone do a private tour from either Taormina or Olbia?

Sam 8/9 Sailing

We booked a private tour in Taormina through La Dolce Vita tours (www.ladolcevitatours.com). I booked it from the ship - we had such a good time on our first excursion with them that I asked Fabrizio to arrange it. It cost me a few dollars in cellphone time, but was well worth it.

We were met on the pier (the actual port town is Naxos) by Flavia, our guide, and Francesco, our driver. They drove us to Savoca, where the Godfather was filmed, with a couple of stops for photo ops. Then Flavia took us walking through the town and showed us the insides of several churches. We spent about 90 minutes there, I would say, then drove to the Gambino winery on the slope of Mt. Etna for a wine tasting and "light" lunch (cheese, olives, salami and the best bread on the trip). After that we went to Taormina itself, which is a charming little town. There were several other ships in Messina and one other in Taormina, so it was a bit crowded, but we found a bakery & had a cannoli (local claim to culinary fame) and wandered the town before heading back to the port. We were back by 4:00 (all aboard was 4:30), and we were the last batch back, along with a few dozen other passengers, so we ended up being on the last tender back to the ship since there was no point in running any more of them. It was a terrific day!

We took three tours with La Dolce Vita (Tivoli, Sorrento and Taormina), with 4, 6 and 8 passengers. I recommend that you try for a group of 6 - 4 is great, but pricey, 6 brings the price down per person and there's still room for everybody to be comfortable. 8 doesn't always save you money (we had 8 in Sicily and the price increased so that it was the same amount pp as 6) and it's a tight fit in the van. The middle seat next to the driver is cramped. Even if the driver is cute, it's a little uncomfortable.:p

hi,

it's easy to get to florence by public transport. Take the ship's shuttle into town. Purchase a bus ticket at a tobacconist (if the drop off point is the same, there is one opposite) take the number one bus to the station (very frequent) and then the train to florence. Trains are regular and you will see many of your fellow passengers doing the same.

Enjoy.

Spursgirl

how long was the train ride into florence? And the bus ride to the train station? Do you need cash or correct change for the trips? I'm assuming no charge cards.....i'm trying to figure out what time we need to leave the ship - to allow us enough time in florence and a safety factor for returning.....sounds like you had a great time!!!

how long was the train ride into florence? And the bus ride to the train station? Do you need cash or correct change for the trips? I'm assuming no charge cards.....i'm trying to figure out what time we need to leave the ship - to allow us enough time in florence and a safety factor for returning.....sounds like you had a great time!!!

Crimsonbird. You can check out this website http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm It has the details on train schedules, port distances etc. It even has train ticket pictures! Hopefully it will go some way to answering your questions.

Ian

Something else to consider is staying overnight in Florence after visiting the Cinque Terre. I imagine that you'd have to clear that with the ship, and you'd have to pay for your own hotel, but you could have a full day in the CT and then hop the train to Florence (change trains in Pisa). You could get there in time for dinner and see a few sights in the evening, then have the entire next day to explore. It'll cost some money to do it, but would maximize your time in that beautiful city.

It was 15 euros for the cab ride to the train station, for 4 people

Train ticket to Firenze was about 12 euro return for 2 people

We where there on a Sunday so alot was closed

WHy do we not call Florence by its really name of Firenze in NA

It was 15 euros for the cab ride to the train station, for 4 people

Train ticket to Firenze was about 12 euro return for 2 people

We where there on a Sunday so alot was closed

WHy do we not call Florence by its really name of Firenze in NA

I guess the same reason we don't use Praha (Prague), Moskva (Moscow), Beograd (Belgrade), Warshawa (Warsaw), Koln (Cologne), Munchen (Munich), etc. It's just convention/easier but really no good reason, IMO. We could easily pronounce any of those names without too much trouble.

I miss ITALY the Quest and all the Great People of C C

Summer is in Ottawa iat last ts sunny and hot but it is not Italy booooooooooo

Cheers all

Carmen and Gord

We miss you and Carmen too! I finished the last of my Baci bars and now I know the trip is really over!

It feels like winter is making a return here on Long Island.....cold and rainy.

I'm suffering from PID - Post Italy Depression!:( I made a salad last night from the garden and the smell of the basil brought me right back to Ravenna, where we had a fabulous caprese salad, just tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil.

I wanna go back!

I'm suffering from PID - Post Italy Depression!:( I made a salad last night from the garden and the smell of the basil brought me right back to Ravenna, where we had a fabulous caprese salad, just tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh basil.

I wanna go back!

Hi Critterchick,

I hired Fab for one day in Sorrento and one day in Livorno on your suggestion..any pointers for me??

I had to get 8 people as it was to expensive with 6..

Jancruz1

Hi Critterchick,

I hired Fab for one day in Sorrento and one day in Livorno on your suggestion..any pointers for me??

I had to get 8 people as it was to expensive with 6..

Jancruz1

Do a little research on what you'd like to see in each port. Although the drivers will have an itinerary (for example from Sorrento we went to Positano, Amalfi and then had lunch on the return drive), you may be able to get them to deviate a bit. Otherwise just put yourselves in their capable hands and enjoy the trip. What towns are you seeing from Livorno? Try to squeeze in a wine tasting - the driver will have a favored spot (where I'm sure they get a kickback, but the experience will be fun for you, so who cares?).

Red Wine and Pasta, Hell!!?? GELATO!!!

Don't forget the limoncello!:D

Archived