Formal night - sneakers...

monkeyrat100

Folks:

This horse is sooo DEAD. Been dead. Drawing flies.

There is NO right.

There is NO wrong.

There is NO middle ground.

OP: Have your friend wear their stupid sneakers to a nice dining room. It's not worth discussing.

If you need further clarification on the issue, just search the thousands of threads such as this one.

It just doesn't need to be discussed further...

I think it's a question of etiquette. You either consider the feelings of the majority and try and fit in, or you put two fingers up to society and do whatever you want.

Your choice!

etiquette

Noun

1. the customs or rules of behaviour regarded as correct in social life

2. a conventional code of practice in certain professions

Is luggage lost that much? Now I have something else to stress over :eek:

Not really. Most of the time lost luggage can be attributed to the airlines losing it. If by chance the ship misplaces it, it's probably because the tag got ripped off & it'll be put aside with a few other bags until someone says something. Most likely you'll have it in a day in that case.

The lost luggage idea came from one of the posters who uses it as a good excuse in case the Maitre D' won't let him into the DR on formal night without a suit which sounds like a good idea to me. I might try it someday if the occasion should arise. ;)

It's always a good idea to put another luggage tag just inside you suitcase with your cell phone & cabin number on it in the event the outer one gets ripped off.

I think it's a question of etiquette. You either consider the feelings of the majority and try and fit in, or you put two fingers up to society and do whatever you want.

Your choice!

etiquette

Noun

1. the customs or rules of behaviour regarded as correct in social life

2. a conventional code of practice in certain professions

This is changing. Proper etiquette on the Titanic is different from now. I am sure everyone was not happy when things started to change. Proper etiquette decades ago would not have me setting at the same table anywhere. The greatest change in history did not come from considering the feelings of the majority, from what I understand. Good manners, is something else, and not always present with people of proper etiquette. I will strive for good manners over proper etiquette any day. We know how mannerly some of our fellow posters can be :-)

Why is it some posters get their knickers in a knot over dress code than they do name calling and put-downs directed at someone or another FUN line?

Maybe the difference between good manners and proper etiquette....possible?

JMOP

Why is it some posters get their knickers in a knot over dress code than they do name calling and put-downs directed at someone or another FUN line?

Maybe the difference between good manners and proper etiquette....possible?

JMOP

People can get very nasty when the way they like doing things becomes threatened. When people are threatened, sometimes manners take a backseat. I am more interested in Princess improving their food in the main dining rooms than I am what the person two tables over is wearing. I find it amazing that more people care about what others are wearing rather than the piece of crap they call "tenderloins of beef" on the dinner menu. I just assume dress down and a eat a good meal at the Crown Grill and Sabatini's (and I do put on sports jacket there, no tie).

People can get very nasty when the way they like doing things becomes threatened. When people are threatened, sometimes manners take a backseat. I am more interested in Princess improving their food in the main dining rooms than I am what the person two tables over is wearing. I find it amazing that more people care about what others are wearing rather than the piece of crap they call "tenderloins of beef" on the dinner menu. I just assume dress down and a eat a good meal at the Crown Grill and Sabatini's (and I do put on sports jacket there, no tie).

Forgetting about the dressing for a moment.....what was wrong with the "tenderloins of beef"? I always think it's pretty good but then again it's something I usually don't eat other than on the ship.

My hubby borrowed a jacket from a friend, it didn't fit well (a little snug) but we made it work. We knew we were not the best dressed on the ship but at least we tried! We boarded that cruise with a maxed out credit card, $300 cash (most of which went towards tipping!) and a couple of smuggled bottles. We had a blast!

My point is, if you don't want to dress up, fine. Sucks that the rest of us will be going through the trouble and we have to look at your tennis shoes.

Consider looking at those sneakers with the same level of kindness others extended to you when your husband did not wear formal clothing on his cruise.

Live and let live folks. If the guy wants to wear sneakers, so be it.

This is a vacation. Is the world going to come to an abrupt end or something......

We enjoy dressing up for dinner but that is our feelings. What if the "sneaker" was on the other foot. Should I feel like an outcast if I want to dress up a little and everyone is wearing their casuals. :cool:

Ah, yet another dress code thread. It reminds me of me before I went on my first cruise: "Why should I dress up one night and not the next? It's the same people in the same dining room. Stupid!"

Now I'm on the other side...though not so far that I'm going out and buying a tux. But I do have a very nice black linen suit I bought at Macy's for nearly nothing. It weighs very little, packs down small, and the pants can be worn on casual nights. There'll be an iron just down the corridor. And hey, it's totally comfy. I can always loosen my collar and tie after the Love Boat Dream, right?

Yeah, live and let live. But understand also that when you're onboard, you're part of a temporary community. Maybe you should respect that? Many of us who choose Princess rather than NCL do so in part, I bet, because on Princess, there's still an air of tradition, formality, and occasion. If you're dead set on thumbing your nose at that, next time choose NCL. Seriously.

Sure, there's a lot of silly snobbery adrift on these boards. But the OP - for all my bohemian, libertarian leanings - came off to me as something of a spoiled child, though I'm sure it wasn't his intention. "We want the lobster. And we won't wear a dumb old suit."

OK, whatever...but when people treat you parentally, it should come as no surprise.

Forgetting about the dressing for a moment.....what was wrong with the "tenderloins of beef"? I always think it's pretty good but then again it's something I usually don't eat other than on the ship.

I thought ours were delicious. Some people we were with on a tour..were doing a lot of complaining about the beef tenderloin and how horrible all the food was, blah blah blah. I made the mistake of saying "oh I thought it was to DIE for!" A little while later, when they learned it was our first cruise, they started laughing and saying "ooooh!!!! THAT's why they liked it. They're VIRGIN cruisers. They don't KNOW any better!"

Whatever. It was good all the same. I just think there are some snotty, uppity people out there.

I think you have a much better time when you're not always complaining about something. Great thing about the cruise food..if you don't like it, you can keep ordering something new till you find something you like!

Julie

I think it is just bad that people are adults and will not dress according to the activity.if they say formal. dress formal or do not go it is that simple why be defiant,and try to have it your way.Princess set the formal rules for a reason.I dont like wearing tuxedo's and shoes on a cruise but I must follow the rules also.

If you're "into" lying, you could always say that you need to wear sneakers for medical reasons, such as foot problems. There are many people who can only wear sneakers because of knee or foot ailments.

This is SO true, and I'm one of them ! Because of severe hammertoes, just about the only thing I can wear is tennis shoes, and then only the ones with nylon on the top, no leather. I was lucky enough to find one pair of black sandals that would go over my toes, and I wear them on formal nights. They're not pretty, but I don't feel like I should give up my formal nights and eat in the buffet just because my shoes aren't " pretty" On the non-formal nights, it's my tennis shoes, like it or not.

July is usually the rainy month in July.....and in Juneau and Ketchikan it usually rains...they get 12' of rain a year....so sneakers might get wet too....especially if you are doing any hiking in the rain forrest.....if you are just jogging around town...no problem, however if you do much of other stuff you will proablly end up with wet feet.

re some snotty, uppity people out there.

I think you have a much better time when you're not always complaining about something. Great thing about the cruise food..if you don't like it, you can keep ordering something new till you find something you like!

Julie

The particular meal would have to be pretty bad before I would send it back. I'm not the type to waste anything even if it wasn't at my cost.

The particular meal would have to be pretty bad before I would send it back. I'm not the type to waste anything even if it wasn't at my cost.

Well I wouldn't either...but my point is you CAN get whatever you want, off of the menu on a cruise. If you really don't like something, you do have the option to get something else..at no additional cost. Better to just get something else than to carry on about how bad the food is.

Must say there really are people with medical issues which require sneakers! Hubby had a scary major accident, surgery, plates and screws prior to our last cruise.....we needed to be away and celebrate all that had been dragging us in the weeks prior to the trip....heaven help the person who said something.....no one did as he proudly limped in under his own power....you never know what path people are following, sneakers may be a celebration of the ability to walk!

My friend and I will be going to Alaska in July, and he absolutely refuses to dress up for formal night. He is willing to wear a dress shirt and khakis, but will not wear shoes to dinner. Considering that we are only bringing one carry-on bag each with us (refuse to bring luggage with the airline's extra charges nowadays), I'm thinking that I will just be bringing sneakers as well. If we wear a dress shirt, khakis, and sneakers, will we be able to eat in the dining room or will they turn us away? From what I have read, the recommendation for formal night are guidelines rather than mandatory. And they don't mention footwear. I wouldn't mind eating in the buffet if the food is the same, but we both want the lobster tails.

Many years ago, when I was in college, I was in ROTC (required for 2 years) with a guy who would NOT wear socks. Every week, during drill, we had inspection, and he was always gigged for not wearing the black socks that were issued to be worn with the dress uniform and black shoes. Finally, one week, he used liquid black shoe polish to darken his white ankles, and from then on, no one seemed to notice that he was not wearing socks.

So it seems that the appropriate solution is use black shoe polish to darken your sneakers so that no one will notice.

Ah, yet another dress code thread. It reminds me of me before I went on my first cruise: "Why should I dress up one night and not the next? It's the same people in the same dining room. Stupid!"

Now I'm on the other side...though not so far that I'm going out and buying a tux. But I do have a very nice black linen suit I bought at Macy's for nearly nothing. It weighs very little, packs down small, and the pants can be worn on casual nights. There'll be an iron just down the corridor. And hey, it's totally comfy. I can always loosen my collar and tie after the Love Boat Dream, right?

Yeah, live and let live. But understand also that when you're onboard, you're part of a temporary community. Maybe you should respect that? Many of us who choose Princess rather than NCL do so in part, I bet, because on Princess, there's still an air of tradition, formality, and occasion. If you're dead set on thumbing your nose at that, next time choose NCL. Seriously.

Sure, there's a lot of silly snobbery adrift on these boards. But the OP - for all my bohemian, libertarian leanings - came off to me as something of a spoiled child, though I'm sure it wasn't his intention. "We want the lobster. And we won't wear a dumb old suit."

OK, whatever...but when people treat you parentally, it should come as no surprise.

Beautiful!

Must say there really are people with medical issues which require sneakers! Hubby had a scary major accident, surgery, plates and screws prior to our last cruise.....we needed to be away and celebrate all that had been dragging us in the weeks prior to the trip....heaven help the person who said something.....no one did as he proudly limped in under his own power....you never know what path people are following, sneakers may be a celebration of the ability to walk!

True, but not the case here.

Yes some people do have medical issues - however, it appears the poster in question just wants to be a rebel. That's the difference;)

folks:

This horse is sooo dead. Been dead. Drawing flies.

There is no right.

There is no wrong.

There is no middle ground.

Op: Have your friend wear their stupid sneakers to a nice dining room. It's not worth discussing.

If you need further clarification on the issue, just search the thousands of threads such as this one.

It just doesn't need to be discussed further...

AMEN :)

Yes some people do have medical issues - however, it appears the poster in question just wants to be a rebel. That's the difference;)

But they still shouldn't be denied wearing them since they are not specifically prohibited.

Archived