Logistics Naples - Amalfi - Positano - Naples

On Noordam, Holland America, arrives in Naples on Wednesday June 17 at 7 a.m. and Departs at 18:00 - 6 p.m.

Want to see Piazza Duomo in Amalfi, then on to Positano, and back to Naples.

Plan to take Metrodelmare ferry.

The problem is the timeline. As far as I can tell I depart Naples at 8:25 and arrive in Amalfi at 10:20. Depart Amalfi at 11:45 and arrive in Positano at 12:05. The next ferry from Positano to Naples doesn't depart until 16:15 and arrives in Naples at 17:45 -- 15 minutes prior to departure.

Looks like there is a siesta from Noon until 15:00 or so.

So, does anyone know if there is a solution to this timeline situation. Have you been able to do this itinerary? Or do you have a better idea?

All tips and suggestions are needed. We had also thought about going to Ercolano Scavi and Sorrento.

Thanks and best regards,

Ellen

I've hired tourofitaly for $300 euro for a similiar trip in October. Picks us up at the ship and we want to ferry back but will hold the driver as backup for this plan. You could do this in reverse as they are based in Sorrento. If interested visit their website, tourofitaly.com, and ask for a quote for your specific wants, they will make sure you have a good day. We've used them before and have been very pleased. There are lots of other good drivers mentioned on these boards too. Happy cruising

I would just add that if you want to see the Piazza Duomo in Amalfi you will have a very disappointing day since there is no such place. The place you are probably thinking about is actually located in the small town of Ravello which is a few miles above Amalfi. If you do hire a car/driver you want to make sure you get to go up to Ravello since the views are stunning.

Hank

There is a Piazza Duomo in Amalfi as well as in Ravello, it means Cathedral Square in Italian and there are lots of cathedrals in Italy! The cathedral in Amalfi is stunning and considered unique, it has a black and white facade. You'll love Amalfi, it's a very old town.

Can't comment on your boat timetables, I'm afraid, but if anyone is thinking of doing the Amalfi Coast by road, it's one trip where I'd recommend taking the ship's tour. The roads are incredibly narrow and winding and there isn't always room for two coaches to pass, so there's a lot of traffic jams and sometimes you have to reverse. OK if you're on a ship's tour so know the ship will wait for you, not so good if you've chosen to do it independently!

I've been reading everyone's posts about if choosing to take a ship excursion, Naples/Amalfi Coast would be the place to do it. I was eyeing RC's one that hits all the above places. Would I be spending half of my day on the minibus traveling? Can anyone tell me how long (aside from traffic situations) it would take to get from place to place?

Many thanks!

I've been reading everyone's posts about if choosing to take a ship excursion, Naples/Amalfi Coast would be the place to do it. I was eyeing RC's one that hits all the above places. Would I be spending half of my day on the minibus traveling? Can anyone tell me how long (aside from traffic situations) it would take to get from place to place?

Many thanks!

Yes but the drive itself is spectacular!

I have to comment on ships tours versus private tours on the Amalfi coast.

IF YOU BOOK A REPUTABLE COMPANY, (there are many suggested here on CC) you are pretty safe as far as getting back to the ship on time.

While on our tour that included Pompeii in the morning, Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento (for ferry ride back to Naples) our driver was on his cell phone on a regular basis checking traffic conditions etc. so that if there was a problem he could take an alternate route.

These companies do not wish to get cruisers back to the ship late :D It is not good for business and this business is very competetive. So - unless are taking a chance on an "unknown" tour company...... relax.

You will see and experience much more on a private tour and this is one place it is a better deal. The large tour buses cannot get anywhere near as close to these small village centers as a tour van or car. You can also customize your day instead of following a set schedule with 50-60 others.

Do not get me wrong..... we used quite a few ships tours on our first cruise to the Mediterranean. But this port we shared a private tour with 3 other couples from our roll call. Best day of the cruise. Hands down.

I second the above advice from Texancruzer. We were a group of 6 persons and also arranged a tour with AP tours in May 2009. The van could go places tour buses cannot enter. The our driver was very capable and the price was reasonable and we saw exactly the things we wanted to see. We did Pompeii, Posatino, Sorrento. We find private tours work best for us when we know what we want to do. Be advised that drivers are not guides and take you into sites without a guide license.

Texan: Do you know the name of the driver you had with AP tours for Naples? I just got a quote from them and vastly prefer this to our ship's tour (but one in our party likes the "motorboat launch" tour part of the ship tour). What I liked about their setup was that the price (or apparently the vehicle) doesn't change whether you have 4 or 6, so with our current 4 we have the availability to add 2 more along the way and have no impact on our individual cost except downward!

Did you pay for the extra guide at Pompeii? When factoring in the costs, I think we'd have to have 6 in order for the private tour to come in at less than the ship's one.

[Again, I'm not the one that needs convincing...just looking for ammunition to try to get my way.] Thanks!

Texan: Do you know the name of the driver you had with AP tours for Naples? I just got a quote from them and vastly prefer this to our ship's tour (but one in our party likes the "motorboat launch" tour part of the ship tour). What I liked about their setup was that the price (or apparently the vehicle) doesn't change whether you have 4 or 6, so with our current 4 we have the availability to add 2 more along the way and have no impact on our individual cost except downward!

Did you pay for the extra guide at Pompeii? When factoring in the costs, I think we'd have to have 6 in order for the private tour to come in at less than the ship's one.

[Again, I'm not the one that needs convincing...just looking for ammunition to try to get my way.] Thanks!

I am sorry I do not remember our drivers name. He was a young (very good looking) Italian from the area...... impeccably dressed !

We did pay extra for the guide at Pompeii (100 euros) that was arranged for us by APTours. Her name was Pina - I do remember that. Definately a must in my opinion - otherwise you don't know what you are looking at and the place is HUGE.

We shared this tour with 3 other couples......so very cost effective. Go to your roll call and find another 2 or 4 people...... it then becomes less than the ships tours .... and there is no comparison to the quality.

We hired a private driver for the day from Rome-in-Limo. 6 people in a Mercedes Mini-van with no problem seeing Ravello, Amalfi, Positano and Sorrento. They also took care of hiring a guide for Pompeii. As others have said, the roads are very narrow and winding. If you rent a car and are the driver, you risk running off the road trying to enjoy the views. The mini-van was able to navigate the narrow roads without any problems.

Chuck

Archived