Booked Journey

GeniRich

Well after some research and many favorable comments about Azamara we have decided to transfer our Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas cruise to the Journey. We are now sailing March 8th 2010 from Miami. This will be our first Azamara cruise and we are looking forward to the new experience. I am sure I will be on the boards asking more questions as there are new things to be learned. Anyone care to mention some of the "can't miss" things on the Journey? Thanks

Rich

We sailed on the Journey March, 2009 in the caribbean and would do it again in a heartbeat. We loved the size of the ship and the excellent crew. We met wonderful people, many Red Sox fans (we are, too), and just enjoyed the whole experience. We did all tours on our own, renting a taxi or wandering about. The only exception was St. Kitts where we booked Thenford Grey for an island tour. He had an air conditioned bus which probably could hold 30 people. We had less than 20 people and enjoyed a superb tour. You can find him on the internet. We enjoyed the ship, especially the aft deck for breakfast and many nights for dinner as well. We also loved the specialty restaurants and went there 4 nights. We only did the main dining room the first night. It was excellent, we just enjoyed dining on the aft under the stars! We had an oceanview cabin on deck 4 which worked out fine. I think I'd like to try a balcony, but price would be a consideration. I'd like early coffee out on the balcony. As it was, I ordered room service coffee and a French pastry every morning and that was a treat in our room. We had absolutely no complaints and are still in touch with 3 couples that we met on board. By all means join the cruise critic roll call and have an informal gathering at sailaway. Our roll call did and we met some really nice people which added to the cruise experience. Bon voyage!!!!!!

Thanks for the response. We will probably do excursions on our own also. We toured with Thenford Grey and found the tour be be ok. The van was a bit crowded and the sound system was lacking but he is very knowledgeable and shared a lot of information. The ports really look interesting.

You mentioned dining on the aft is that the buffett and is it open air? We will certainly try the specialty restaurants.

Morning coffee is one of our favorite things to do on the balcony.

As for the roll call, there does not seem to be one started. I will give it some more time and if one does not show up I will get it started.

Thanks again for the info.

Rich

I was on the Journey yesterday in London for a day trip.

Very traditional with lovely decor.

Not particularly child friendly which is possibly a good thing. I appreciate that a 1 day ship visit does not necessarily give a tru epicture but I thought you may be interested anyway.

I had lunch on board and the Sea Bass was as good as I have ever tasted. The service quality was xcellent and I would be happy to book a cruise on this, a smaller ship, if everything else was equal.

Couldn't really fault it.

Enjoy!!

Regarding aft dining, tthe buffet was inside and we ate outside under the stars. There were also inside tables, but we enjoyed walking the very few feet to get outside. The buffet was right inside the door to the outside. Have fun!

:) I quite agree about the smoothies. They were absolutely fantastic. What really impressed me was that one morning we were really late down for breakfast and the smoothie man was cleaning down the area and everything was cleared away. But I said, no matter, I would have juice instead for one morning and went off to eat my late breakfast on the aft deck. Great service though because the smoothie man came out to find me and offered to make up whatever I wanted.

Now that is just one example of how all the staff on the Journey go out of their way to keep the customers happy. We are returning very soon!:)

We were also on the Journey in March - with Hillside - and totally agree. This was our first Azamara cruise and look forward to many more. It is the first line we have been on that the senior staff was so accessable. The Captain was everywhere; breakfast in the Lido, afternoon expresso in the Cove, etc. All the staff made you feel truly welcome and our room steward seemed disappointed that he couldn't do more for us!

GeniRich - even though we have sailed on RCCL many times, you have made a good choice and will not be disappointed.

Hint to coffee lovers. In the Lido, mix half a cup of coffee with half expresso and you'll be fine. Coffee in Prime C is the best on the ship and second is in the DR at night. If you want a good cup in the morning in your room; bring a good instant you can live with and just order hot water. Someday - hopefully in my lifetime - cruise lines will get the coffee consistent all around the ship.

We absolutely loved Journey. Her Captains and crew are fabulous. Anything you want or need they are more than willing to do whatever they can to accomodate. The specialty restaurants are heavenly, and the MDR is really good as well. But we really enjoyed dining out on the aft of the ship when enjoying the buffet.

We are generally spa hounds but after one less-than-great experience we steered clear. Other than that, I can't say enough good things about Journey. I'm jealous! Can't wait to book my next cruise on Azamara.

Hi GeniRich, I was on the Journey for the 04.25.09 European cruise. I can't say there is any one don't miss item, but in thinking about enjoyable times they seem to involve food a lot! I liked the afternoon savories and breakfast on the balcony. The smoothie bar, as previously mentioned is good, and I liked the Cova Cafe for nibbles and a drink! I think the strength of this boat is the crew, they go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Enjoy your trip!

Jenny- a transplanted New Englander who is also a card carrying member of The Nation-- Go Sox!!!

Hi GeniRich, I was on the Journey for the 04.25.09 European cruise. I can't say there is any one don't miss item, but in thinking about enjoyable times they seem to involve food a lot! I liked the afternoon savories and breakfast on the balcony. The smoothie bar, as previously mentioned is good, and I liked the Cova Cafe for nibbles and a drink! I think the strength of this boat is the crew, they go out of their way to be helpful and friendly. Enjoy your trip!

Jenny- a transplanted New Englander who is also a card carrying member of The Nation-- Go Sox!!!

Thanks for the input. March cannot get here quick enough. Also did you catch tonights game?

Rich

I'm surprised no one mentioned the waffles, which are shared with Celebrity. They are the best, so good I had one every morning--and gained, umm, some pounds. Also, Journey has fresh squeezed orange juice, but you have to be careful because sometime you get the other kind. BTW, for early morning walkers/joggers/strollers/day dreamers, they set up a little table with orange juice, water and ??? lemonade ??? on the jogging track. Also towels, in case you get sweaty. It's up until 9 a.m. I believe.

Rich, I know that feeling...we booked our cruise 13 months out..it went by faster than I thought it would! I thought Azamara did a good job with the Cruise Critic party, fun to do with your roll call people.

I watch the Sox on MLB.TV. First place by ourselves, baby!!

Jenny

Archived