Seasickness Patch???

MBurke17

For those that have used the seasickness patch (Dramamine)...what have been your experiences with it? Has it helped you? How far ahead of time before the ship sails do you need to apply the patch if the ship sets sail at 4pm (an hour, overnight?)?

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

For those that have used the seasickness patch (Dramamine)...what have been your experiences with it? Has it helped you? How far ahead of time before the ship sails do you need to apply the patch if the ship sets sail at 4pm (an hour, overnight?)?

Thanks,

Michael

It works great and I can get very sick. Matter of fact one crossing to Bermuda the ship seemed empty..Lots of passengers were not feeling well I kinda felt like I had the ship to myself - no lineups for food LOL

You put the patch on a few hours before sailing. It lasts about three days so you need to get two or more.

If you drink alcoholic beverages you are not suppose to use the patch.

Thanks,

Michael

I put it on about 2 hours before getting on the ship. I don't drink much alcohol the first day so as not to interfere with it medication. I do begin drinking more (LOL) by the next day and then I change patches before I go to bed on day 3. I have never had any problems with it at all. The one cruise where we hit a major storm it helped alot however it did not help totally. I still felt very queasy and it was hard to eat.

Best of luck.

Linda:eek:

Thanks,

Michael

We have used the patch and didn't like the side effects such as severe dry mouth and I felt agitated. I took mine off 2 days into cruise and had no problems. Partner left his on but then the next cruise partner switched to all natural ginger tabs ( not chewable kind unless you like the taste) you can get these at any pharamacy, walmart and health food store they are highly recommended and you will no doubt get more info. soon.

As for the patches you need to read the box i believe you have to start 1 to 3 days before boarding.

Thanks,

Michael

do u mean the Rx Scopolamine? i don't put mine on until the am we sail, no problems & ive been able to drink moderately w/o issue:)

my eye dr mentioned once to me that many peeps experience issues if they wear bi or tri focals w/graduated lenses; something to do with constant adjusting of ur head & the motion of the waves? DH wears & sez he doesn't have any problem, although he was on naval carrier for years lol

My adult daughter used one on our cruise and the horrible dry mouth it gave her made her stop and use Ginger pills instead. They DO have side affects. Read the pamphlet carefully. It's not for everyone.

Good luck:)

Do you need a prescription to buy it?

Thanks,

Bella

yes, and I have used them and they did affect my vision. You put them on right when you sail and change every 3 days. I used bonine less drowzy tablets and they worked well.

My wife got green around the gills on our CTN on the Dream and we bought a small inhaler in the gift shop. She took a whiff or two every time she started to feel queasy and her symtoms disappeared quickly. It's called Quease Ease and DW would highly recommend it (you only use it if you need it, there were no side effects, and you could drink what you wanted).

I agree w/ green applies and dry saltine crackers..Works wonders and you could eat a full meal a few minutes later..I did..LOL. Bless our waiter's heart. He cured all 10 of us in 5 mintues....without our even asking...he just took one look at all of us and....brought the apples and crackers...

Your physician will know best. This drug (Scopolamine Transdermal) would absolutely be contraindicated for people who have certain other health problems..it can have some nasty side effects while it is on as well as some that can show up after it is removed. Your Doc is your best bet. Good luck....hope you have calm seas and a great cruise.

I'll add a bit: It was my first cruise and I was worried about seasickness so I got the scopolamine patches from my doctor. I'm very prone to motion sickness in cars so I figured I should be safer than sorry. I did experience side effects: sleepiness the day the new patch was on, dry mouth (especially the first day where I just couldn't drink enough fluids), and blurry vision. With the vision, I couldn't read anything up close I had to hold it far away (I'm nearsighted and wear contacts). The sleepiness didn't bother me, just took an extra nap a couple times. The dry mouth was fine after the first day. The blurry vision made it very hard to read some things and was annoying enough that I tried to take off the patch on the fifth day but then decided that I was starting to feel a bit nauseated so I put it back on. The vision's returned to normal now that I'm back home :) The blurry vision didn't bother me at all for any of the sightseeing stuff.

On my first cruise I used the patch and did not feel well the second day, I removed it and felt a lot better. I like the wrist bands. The cruise I just took, I used the wrist bands and felt well the whole trip. We went through eleven foot waves the first day and I was fine. Sometimes Bermuda is a rough trip.

I used the patches in my last 2 cruises... last September we were on the water when Ike hit and they had to board up the windows on the 4th and 5h floors, I still got a little nauseous but nothing major. The only side effect I had was my pupils were huge the whole time, so make sure to have sunglasses.

In Ontario, you can just buy it over-the-counter in the pharmacy. I've used one twice and they certainly worked for seasickness; however, on the second trip, I noticed that I'd forgotten chunks of time....including half of the day at HMC:(.........so I went back to Gravol on my last cruise and it worked well.

yes, and I have used them and they did affect my vision. You put them on right when you sail and change every 3 days. I used bonine less drowzy tablets and they worked well.

These worked well for me. Walgreens has store brand. I took them each night so if drowsy, I was sleeping anyways.

There are so many ways to attack this, but most all are BEFORE it happens. And, for many people, eating SOMETHING does help, even though you may not feel like it.

I have used the Rx patch for all 5 cruises that I have been on. Usually it works pretty good. If the seas are very rough; I might feel not the greatest but no vomiting or anything like everyone else.

Like others have said it can affect your vision. It is kind of a joke now because DH has to read me the menus at dinner every night starting at day 2.

I would like to try one of the non prescription methods, but I am afraid it won't work and I will feel bad! Good Luck

I tried the patch on my first cruise and it made me feel so seasick! I didn't realize it was the patch that was making me feel so bad. I just thought I was a really poor sailor and was ready to fly home from the first port! :eek:

Ships nurse told me to take the patch off and try Bonine tablets. HUGE difference! Now I only use Bonine when I notice the waves affecting the ships movement. Last cruise I only used them 2 nights but I've been fortunate and have had good weather on all my cruises. So be very careful with the scopolamine patch.

Archived